Quantcast
Playing God of War. My thoughts so far.

Forums - Sony Discussion - Playing God of War. My thoughts so far.

EricHiggin said:
Hiku said:

Yeah, I am mostly saving my resources, because I can get by with what I have, and so that I can spend them on worthwhile things later.
Weapon upgrade seem tied to story progression though? At least the Leviathan Axe that requites a Frozen Flame every time, I think.

I'm not sure what upgrading skills does exactly though? For example I have a cooldown skill that heals my HP a bit. I can upgrade it, but the description does not suggest that it's healing capabilities increase if I do. Only the accompanying stats. So I didn't try that yet.

Ya I think weapon and skill upgrades through flames were mostly if not always through story, since you're always running into the shops afterwards where you can use those items to have the blacksmiths oh so elegantly craft your upgrades.

The skills allow for different play styles. It changes or enhances the combat. If you think the combat is boring, acquiring skills will help with that. The more skills you acquire the deadlier you and the boy become and the more options you have. Don't forget about the boy. Making sure he has more better skills and that his armor and weapons are upgraded is more important than you might think. He can be much more helpful, but then again, that may not be your style and may not fit your combat tastes.

Hiku said:

Hmm, didn't expect that. I'll keep that in mind going forward, but maybe I'll find a balance between story and side quests, rather than just doing every single optional thing possible as soon as it becomes available.
I have 9 out 9 Apples, so maybe I maxed out my HP through that mechanic already (unless there is more), but not feeling like I made meaningful progress through the side quests made them less interesting last few times I played. But things like saving the dragon was interesting. And I understand there are a few more as well.

I tried to keep it balanced when I played. Some purple enemies are really tough fights but doable, but some like the one or two shots just aren't worth it so it's best to leave them be and move on to something more reasonable or advance through the story some more. Dragon saving is interesting, but there's one who's a unique encounter and I really enjoyed that portion.

Hiku said:

Alright, that's about what I expected.

Ya like with DonF mentioning 40%, I'd say your 40% at the most. I was figuring around 25% at the least, so say 30% to 40%, somewhere in there.

Well if you are masochist the purple enemies that one shot you are the way to go =p

The Valkyrie Queen on GmGoW is the perfect excuse for someone to hate himself to self-punish =p



duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Around the Network

I have just one question...... what difficulty are you plying o and have you fought a Valkyrie?

I know that sounds like 2 questions but trust me you will understand that it's just one. Depending on the difficulty you are playing.

There are two worlds you will totally hate..... one of gas and one of fire.



Intrinsic said:
I have just one question...... what difficulty are you plying o and have you fought a Valkyrie?

I know that sounds like 2 questions but trust me you will understand that it's just one. Depending on the difficulty you are playing.

There are two worlds you will totally hate..... one of gas and one of fire.

I'm playing on "Give Me A Balanced Experience", and I encountered and beat my first Valkyrie last time I played.
She gave me a helmet.

Last edited by Hiku - on 24 May 2019

LiquorandGunFun said:
Shiken said:
Was my GotY, but whatever.

Along with about every game award show, game site, gaming etc. Good call. Thumbsup

I agree btw, great game.

It is also one of the games of the generation. I haven't had as much fun in a game since The Last of Us.  



For me, once the freedom of the boat opened up was probably my low point in the game. I thought the linear aspects of this game were much better designed. But the whole game was epic.



Around the Network

That's good enough I guess.... you should have gone for Give me a challenge though. I promise you the answer you just gave wouldn't have been the same lol.



Had a fun session last time I played. Did a couple of side quests, including saving another dragon.




Then continued the story. Encountered a giant with a huge hammer that I was supposed to bring down to smash a block of ice.



It was a cool sequence climbing the hammer and bringing it down. The only weird thing is... I never saw the hammer smash the ice. Did it happen off screen? Cause I was looking forward to seeing it, so that was a bit of a letdown. Even afterwards I was unsure if I actually finished the hammer sequence, but I got the chisel, so I guess?

The boss fight against the two brothers was pretty fun. My only issue was that when I was supposed to watch the arrows for incoming attacks, I could barely ever  make out whether the arrow is pointing up, down, left or right.



Now that I'm looking at it I think it's pointing southwest, but it threw me off all the time while I was in the heat of the moment. Maybe the direction it's pointing in is always a bit thicker, but I didn't notice while playing.

Then I encountered and beat the first Valkyrie.



https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEdno1ydBj4

This fight was really cool. I enjoyed it a lot because of the design of the enemy.

She gave me a helmet. I'm guessing I'll be able to make Valkyrie gear later?

I also got the Blades of Chaos. I had seen that scene before on youtube, so I was expecting it. But I also expected the reason for it to be something more than "your axe conveniently won't work on the enemies you're about to encounter"
The scene leading up to it was really well made though. Seeing Kratos anxiously pacing around while carrying Atreus, and hearing someone use the horn to call the World Serpent in the background was a nice touch. But the scene where he got his weapons back seemed like a a missed opportunity. It's not like what he was doing with his axe up until this point was much different than what he had used his blades for in the previous games. And when I had previously seen that scene without context, I imagined Athena said "you will always be a monster" not only because of what he has done before, but because of something he had done recently as well. That wasn't really the case, so yeah. I do appreciate that this game focuses more on the narrative, but it seems like they could still improve the writing a lot, without even expecting something like The Last of Us.

The Blades of Chaos are fun to use though. I think I'll enjoy fighting regular enemies more form now on.
I'm on my way to Helheim now. Not sure how far into the game I am, but based on previous comments, I guess 40-50%?

EricHiggin said:

1.) The skills allow for different play styles. It changes or enhances the combat. If you think the combat is boring, acquiring skills will help with that. The more skills you acquire the deadlier you and the boy become and the more options you have. Don't forget about the boy. Making sure he has more better skills and that his armor and weapons are upgraded is more important than you might think. He can be much more helpful, but then again, that may not be your style and may not fit your combat tastes.

2.) I tried to keep it balanced when I played. Some purple enemies are really tough fights but doable, but some like the one or two shots just aren't worth it so it's best to leave them be and move on to something more reasonable or advance through the story some more. Dragon saving is interesting, but there's one who's a unique encounter and I really enjoyed that portion.

3.) Ya like with DonF mentioning 40%, I'd say your 40% at the most. I was figuring around 25% at the least, so say 30% to 40%, somewhere in there.

1.) Actually I've focused on upgrading the boy much more than I have Kratos. Partially because I felt like that will be more useful to me, but also because I know I'll get the Blades of Chaos so I'm thinking saving some points for that might be good.
And now I did get the blades, but haven't looked into upgrading them yet as I stopped playing right after. But so far they feel more fun to me than the axe.

2.) Yeah I tried doing those purple enemies anyway at first, just for the reward. All except a pair of witches that were too difficult, so I decided to leave them for later. If I encounter more that I can't defeat within the first few turns then I'lll just do the same there and save them for later.

3.) I may have been misleading in where I was in the game last time, because I said I'm on my way to Jotenheim, but turns out I didn't go there, as the story now takes me to Helheim instead. I'm guessing I'm 40-50% into the game now or something?

Intrinsic said:

That's good enough I guess.... you should have gone for Give me a challenge though. I promise you the answer you just gave wouldn't have been the same lol.

Well I beat her on the first try, but it was close because I didn't know when to parry at first.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEdno1ydBj4

I may try adjusting the difficulty next time, since you can do it any time from a checkpoint. Is there any way to re-fight them after being them?
I hope the rest of them are as cool as this one.



Hiku said:

She gave me a helmet. I'm guessing I'll be able to make Valkyrie gear later?

Yes you'll have Valkyrie armor set, and while at it you'll have sets more focused on defense or attack.

~Edited for space~

Last edited by Hiku - on 24 May 2019

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

IkePoR said:
Criticism having not played a game - "You can't judge it you haven't even played it"

Criticism having played a game - "If you don't like it, why play it?"

Interesting.

If this is directed at what i posted its delicately misplaced.



Hunting Season is nigh...

Hiku said:

Had a fun session last time I played. Did a couple of side quests, including saving another dragon.




Then continued the story. Encountered a giant with a huge hammer that I was supposed to bring down to smash a block of ice.



It was a cool sequence climbing the hammer and bringing it down. The only weird thing is... I never saw the hammer smash the ice. Did it happen off screen? Cause I was looking forward to seeing it, so that was a bit of a letdown. Even afterwards I was unsure if I actually finished the hammer sequence, but I got the chisel, so I guess?

The boss fight against the two brothers was pretty fun. My only issue was that when I was supposed to watch the arrows for incoming attacks, I could barely ever  make out whether the arrow is pointing up, down, left or right.



Now that I'm looking at it I think it's pointing southwest, but it threw me off all the time while I was in the heat of the moment. Maybe the direction it's pointing in is always a bit thicker, but I didn't notice while playing.

Then I encountered and beat the first Valkyrie.



https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEdno1ydBj4

This fight was really cool. I enjoyed it a lot because of the design of the enemy.

She gave me a helmet. I'm guessing I'll be able to make Valkyrie gear later?

I also got the Blades of Chaos. I had seen that scene before on youtube, so I was expecting it. But I also expected the reason for it to be something more than "your axe conveniently won't work on the enemies you're about to encounter"
The scene leading up to it was really well made though. Seeing Kratos anxiously pacing around while carrying Atreus, and hearing someone use the horn to call the World Serpent in the background was a nice touch. But the scene where he got his weapons back seemed like a a missed opportunity. It's not like what he was doing with his axe up until this point was much different than what he had used his blades for in the previous games. And when I had previously seen that scene without context, I imagined Athena said "you will always be a monster" not only because of what he has done before, but because of something he had done recently as well. That wasn't really the case, so yeah. I do appreciate that this game focuses more on the narrative, but it seems like they could still improve the writing a lot, without even expecting something like The Last of Us.

The Blades of Chaos are fun to use though. I think I'll enjoy fighting regular enemies more form now on.
I'm on my way to Helheim now. Not sure how far into the game I am, but based on previous comments, I guess 40-50%?

EricHiggin said:

1.) The skills allow for different play styles. It changes or enhances the combat. If you think the combat is boring, acquiring skills will help with that. The more skills you acquire the deadlier you and the boy become and the more options you have. Don't forget about the boy. Making sure he has more better skills and that his armor and weapons are upgraded is more important than you might think. He can be much more helpful, but then again, that may not be your style and may not fit your combat tastes.

2.) I tried to keep it balanced when I played. Some purple enemies are really tough fights but doable, but some like the one or two shots just aren't worth it so it's best to leave them be and move on to something more reasonable or advance through the story some more. Dragon saving is interesting, but there's one who's a unique encounter and I really enjoyed that portion.

3.) Ya like with DonF mentioning 40%, I'd say your 40% at the most. I was figuring around 25% at the least, so say 30% to 40%, somewhere in there.

1.) Actually I've focused on upgrading the boy much more than I have Kratos. Partially because I felt like that will be more useful to me, but also because I know I'll get the Blades of Chaos so I'm thinking saving some points for that might be good.
And now I did get the blades, but haven't looked into upgrading them yet as I stopped playing right after. But so far they feel more fun to me than the axe.

2.) Yeah I tried doing those purple enemies anyway at first, just for the reward. All except a pair of witches that were too difficult, so I decided to leave them for later. If I encounter more that I can't defeat within the first few turns then I'lll just do the same there and save them for later.

3.) I may have been misleading in where I was in the game last time, because I said I'm on my way to Jotenheim, but turns out I didn't go there, as the story now takes me to Helheim instead. I'm guessing I'm 40-50% into the game now or something?

Intrinsic said:

That's good enough I guess.... you should have gone for Give me a challenge though. I promise you the answer you just gave wouldn't have been the same lol.

Well I beat her on the first try, but it was close because I didn't know when to parry at first.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEdno1ydBj4

I may try adjusting the difficulty next time, since you can do it any time from a checkpoint. Is there any way to re-fight them after being them?
I hope the rest of them are as cool as this one.

Nope, you can't fight them again after beating them.... don't worry though, they get harder. And there are a couple of other optional bosses to fight, like the travelers and the elemental golems.

If you beat her on your first attempt, then I strongly recommend you using the difficulty, you a too good for the current difficulty setting you are at. That also probably explains why you aren't a fan of the ax. You need to play on give me a challenge at least.... that will force you to learn and use all the nuances of the combat system. And oh my will you come to love the Axe throw. Especially the precision ax throw,