Quantcast
I think it's time for Nintendo to invest in new development teams

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - I think it's time for Nintendo to invest in new development teams

CaptainExplosion said:
SegataSanshiro said:
They tried to buy Namco in 2003.

I honestly think they should buy the IP or become co-owner of the Bayonetta IP and buy a stake in Platinum.

If they should buy any IPs it should be Banjo and Conker. Microsoft isn't even doing anything with them anyway.

Microsoft would be the last company to realistically acquire IP from at this point in time, they have too much money to care to sell arguably some of their only older beloved properties. 

much more realistic would be approaching Capcom or Konami who are letting a lot of great franchises lie dead in the ground 



Around the Network
PAOerfulone said:
I don't think hey need to purchase new dev teams as much as they need to expand the ones they already have.
Namely, I think Game Freak could use quite the expansion for Pokemon Switch - which will be the first mainline, HD, console (or console-quality) game in the franchise and a huge leap from the 3DS.
I also think they can expand Retro Studios so that it doesn't take them 4-5 years to make 1 game like it's taking them now. Alongside working on Donkey Kong or whatever Nintendo franchise they're tasked with, they can make their own new IP as well, a more Western-oriented one at that.

Nintendo definitely should attempt to push Gamefreak to grow into a bigger studio/company for the future of Pokemon. I imagine it's already in the works but Pokemon has just been moving at a bit too much of a snails pace in terms of change over the last few years. Also where on Earth are the spinoffs like Pokemon Stadium?



First, we should take into account that the Switch is a consolidation of Nintendo's home console and handheld divisions, which means that their dev teams won't be split between supporting two platforms, and therefore the Switch will receive more software by principle.

Secondly, if Nintendo were to go this route then I think it would be smarter of them to build and cultivate new talent from the ground up as opposed to buying out or copping exclusives from established development teams. These teams would be Nintendo's protegees so-to-speak, that would learn and take cues from Nintendo's unique development style, ethos, and work ethic. Many studios don't operate like Nintendo, and if Nintendo were to buy these companies then it would simply lead to conflict down the line.



pokoko said:
Honestly, I think buying up studios all over the place is a thing of the past. I don't think it's been good for the gaming industry to have so much under a few umbrellas. We've seen many publishers become bloated and inefficient to the point that they've had to close multiple locations.

I believe the future is going to be full of "second-party" contracts and collaborations. Publishers and platform holders can commision games and if things don't work out, they can walk away without further financial obligations. Studios can pick what they want to work on or pitch their own proposals without being forced into assignments.

I really don't see any need for Nintendo to expand all that much and they certainly don't need to "buy Sega" or anything like some people are proposing.

I agree with this.

I just want to see them do their best at making NST what it could've been (it being relegated to Mario vs. Donkey Kong is a big misstep), and expanding Retro in line with Howard Lincoln's original plans for it.



 
I WON A BET AGAINST AZUREN! WOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

:3

Platina said:
They should by Capcom


;)

We'll decide that based on whether or not Mega Man 11 succeeds, but it very likely will. :)

What if Nintendo also expanded on some it's subsidiaries, like Retro Studios or Monolith Soft? That's almost as good as making new ones, right?



Some days I just blow up.

Around the Network
CaptainExplosion said:
Platina said:
They should by Capcom


;)

We'll decide that based on whether or not Mega Man 11 succeeds, but it very likely will. :)

What if Nintendo also expanded on some it's subsidiaries, like Retro Studios or Monolith Soft? That's almost as good as making new ones, right?

Well Retro Studios has been noted to be hiring as of late.



System launch not a flop: Check.
Zelda at launch: Check
New IP (ARMS): Check
Continuation of Newer IP (Splatoon 2): Check
Real Mario game: Check.
Mastery of console online functionality: ...

Hmm. Almost.



Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

Kai_Mao said:
CaptainExplosion said:

We'll decide that based on whether or not Mega Man 11 succeeds, but it very likely will. :)

What if Nintendo also expanded on some it's subsidiaries, like Retro Studios or Monolith Soft? That's almost as good as making new ones, right?

Well Retro Studios has been noted to be hiring as of late.

That works. :)

mountaindewslave said:
CaptainExplosion said:

If they should buy any IPs it should be Banjo and Conker. Microsoft isn't even doing anything with them anyway.

Microsoft would be the last company to realistically acquire IP from at this point in time, they have too much money to care to sell arguably some of their only older beloved properties. 

much more realistic would be approaching Capcom or Konami who are letting a lot of great franchises lie dead in the ground 

So's Microsoft though. Remember what we last saw of Banjo and Conker?

Last edited by CaptainExplosion - on 09 December 2017

Some days I just blow up.

pokoko said:
Honestly, I think buying up studios all over the place is a thing of the past. I don't think it's been good for the gaming industry to have so much under a few umbrellas. We've seen many publishers become bloated and inefficient to the point that they've had to close multiple locations.

I believe the future is going to be full of "second-party" contracts and collaborations. Publishers and platform holders can commision games and if things don't work out, they can walk away without further financial obligations. Studios can pick what they want to work on or pitch their own proposals without being forced into assignments.

I really don't see any need for Nintendo to expand all that much and they certainly don't need to "buy Sega" or anything like some people are proposing.

I agree.  There's no need for the console guys to buy developers.  Just fund development of exclusive titles one at a time.  

For devs, it works the same - sell games one at a time as exclusives, or timed exclusives, or whatever, or make multi-plats if you have the means to finance production on your own.  



This thread is totally a childs wishlist I think that we need to have a thread about this: Is everybody here aware of that that things must be up for sale before they can be bought by another company? Nintendo cannot send Bamco a text message saying, "Hey uuuh, so were buying the development team behind smash" ,. They cant go to CAPCOM and say, "Hey CAP! Were buying Monster Hunter, Mega Man, and Resident Evil... kthx by!!!".

The OP is being serious about how Nintendo should progress with idea that IP's may start skipping Switch as tech rises but goes about in a kids mentality. Is this suppose to be serious or who do want Nintendo to buy so we feel secure as Switch owners?