Quantcast
Apple has a $200 billion war chest, should it buy Nintendo and Sega?

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Apple has a $200 billion war chest, should it buy Nintendo and Sega?

Since I recently joined this site I've read tons of discussions in the forums about how people here wants Nintendo to drop the hardware business or that they should be third party only and now that other companies should buy Nintendo. Why the hate towards Nintendo? Does everybody here wants a duopoly with the same games, same gameplay and same specs and same everything? What a grey world!



Around the Network

I wouldn't mind seeing Apple (or even Google) make a home gaming console. I don't think they should buyout Nintendo to do so though.



It should buy Sega and make the Dreamcast 2 so people will finally shut up about it.



I LOVE ICELAND!

I think Apple would prefer Sony, while MS would want Nintendo.



Roderic_Blackwood said:

Why the hate towards Nintendo?

Funny, I generally hear the opposite about this place, especially regarding moderators!

 

se7en7thre3 said:
I think Apple would prefer Sony, while MS would want Nintendo.

I doubt the former. In fact, history shows that Microsoft may have wanted both!



                                                                                                                                            

Around the Network

Why would Apple bother buying either when they could launch their own console? 

Should apple enter the console market? No. Just no. That would ruin the gaming market. Apple overcharges for their products but a large amount of consumers buy the stuff anyway because iproducts have become a sort of status symbol. If apple treated gaming consoles just like their other products, gaming would turn to shit. They're very anti-consumer and people love 'em for it. 

Also nintendo is not buyable. I don't know about sega. 



Ka-pi96 said:
CosmicSex said:

They would be better served buying Microsoft... yes they can afford that too.  And then the PC/Mac situation would get interesting.  There has been no real competiotion in the PC arena ever since Microsoft took over.  We need some REAL competition in this market. 

Does the US not have any anti-monopoly laws or anything?

I know here in Europe if they tried that they'd get shut down fast. Even if they're US companies I expect Europe would make them keep the European divisions separate and prevent a full buyout still.

In America people with money buy politicians.  Kinda like how Turmp said he did.  It allowed him to cut corners and ignore laws. If you have money, you can get away with anything regardless of the law.  The last time the government broke up a monopoly was Bell Atlantic.  Money is everything in the US.  If you have money, you can insult other people too and people will glorify you. 



CosmicSex said:
Ka-pi96 said:

Does the US not have any anti-monopoly laws or anything?

I know here in Europe if they tried that they'd get shut down fast. Even if they're US companies I expect Europe would make them keep the European divisions separate and prevent a full buyout still.

In America people with money buy politicians.  Kinda like how Turmp said he did.  It allowed him to cut corners and ignore laws. If you have money, you can get away with anything regardless of the law.  The last time the government broke up a monopoly was Bell Atlantic.  Money is everything in the US.  If you have money, you can insult other people too and people will glorify you. 

The same could be said about the entire world and every government on it.  There's no exceptions.



Roderic_Blackwood said:

Since I recently joined this site I've read tons of discussions in the forums about how people here wants Nintendo to drop the hardware business or that they should be third party only and now that other companies should buy Nintendo. Why the hate towards Nintendo? Does everybody here wants a duopoly with the same games, same gameplay and same specs and same everything? What a grey world!

It already is a duopoly. Nintendo still exist but the games they make no longer appeal to 20m+ people per title. They have no cultural impact any more; they've let the perception of gaming be dominated by GTA, CoD and Minecraft through inaction.

A buyout or major change of strategy could provide the catalyst for a return to relevance.



I kinda want apple as far away from deticated video game platforms as possible. nintendo is better doing it. You dont need big corps to buy everything out, even if they wanted to. you cant just buy anything.