Quantcast
Locked: NPD: Halo 5 Sold Less than 1M in October

Forums - Sales Discussion - NPD: Halo 5 Sold Less than 1M in October

aLkaLiNE said:
My question then would be how the hell was halos revenue so fucking high?
We know that number included hardware.... But how!?

I think it's obvious that they just included all HW that week, pretending it was all due to Halo 5, which is complete BS.  MS has really gotten shady with their numbers lately.



Around the Network
Wonktonodi said:
walsufnir said:
So this is the retail number without bundles and digital sales, right?


yes, so not quite as bad as some are making it out to be, since the 400 million did have to come from somewhere


It is bad since that revenue is not Halo by itself and MS had to spin it in PR.LOL you had people predicting 7 million sales by year end and claiming Halo would close the gap globally in the US,so for those facts its terrible.Everything was riding on Halo 5 and it failed to sell units.



walsufnir said:
Wonktonodi said:


yes, so not quite as bad as some are making it out to be, since the 400 million did have to come from somewhere


You should read the GAF thread. You can also find a famous VGC user there who seems quite happy to reiterate the number whenever possible.


I get tired enough seeing the extreme posts on here. I don't think I'd enjoy that.



walsufnir said:


It didn't sell as much as before but I don't know if the "less than 1M" statement is true. That said, it underperformed for a Halo game. For a game it still did very well.

That I can agree with. Without the other Halo games in mind, it's a pretty solid launch.



mornelithe said:
Wonktonodi said:


yes, so not quite as bad as some are making it out to be, since the 400 million did have to come from somewhere

The only possible explanation other than NPD being wrong (unlikely) is the 400 million is the shipped amount (Sounds like something MS would do, though, make no mistake, Sony's played sleight of hand with numbers reporting in the past, lumping hardware together and so on etc...  Microsoft doesn't own this kind of spin, they're just having to do more of it this gen than last).

Still, as I've said in earlier posts, Fallout 4 and November could very well be impacting sales in October as it has in December.  Maybe Shadow can crunch some numbers for the last several Octobers, like he did with Dec.

there are still more posibilities, higher digital than usual for physical, most of the hardware for the month being halo bundles, more dlc bought, more hardware counted than people are thinking of. It was too vague of a PR piece. as for now, under a million could still mean in the high 900,000s people really shouldn't be hoping for halo numbers to be low, since it sold more than any other game this month.

Hopefully things will be all around better when we get the results for November



Around the Network
Abun said:
Wonktonodi said:


yes, so not quite as bad as some are making it out to be, since the 400 million did have to come from somewhere


It is bad since that revenue is not Halo by itself and MS had to spin it in PR.LOL you had people predicting 7 million sales by year end and claiming Halo would close the gap globally in the US,so for those facts its terrible.Everything was riding on Halo 5 and it failed to sell units.

less than many peoples expectations isn't the same as bad. While MS did include hardware with the software sales, the total number is still sales of xbox hardware with the game, and it was enough of a boost for them to sell the most consoles in the US last month. Though that could well be more because of the delayed sales of some of the ps4 bundles and less of the xbox sales improving, the sales of xbox did improve.



Wonktonodi said:
mornelithe said:
Wonktonodi said:


yes, so not quite as bad as some are making it out to be, since the 400 million did have to come from somewhere

The only possible explanation other than NPD being wrong (unlikely) is the 400 million is the shipped amount (Sounds like something MS would do, though, make no mistake, Sony's played sleight of hand with numbers reporting in the past, lumping hardware together and so on etc...  Microsoft doesn't own this kind of spin, they're just having to do more of it this gen than last).

Still, as I've said in earlier posts, Fallout 4 and November could very well be impacting sales in October as it has in December.  Maybe Shadow can crunch some numbers for the last several Octobers, like he did with Dec.

there are still more posibilities, higher digital than usual for physical, most of the hardware for the month being halo bundles, more dlc bought, more hardware counted than people are thinking of. It was too vague of a PR piece. as for now, under a million could still mean in the high 900,000s people really shouldn't be hoping for halo numbers to be low, since it sold more than any other game this month.

Hopefully things will be all around better when we get the results for November

Yeah, but I meant possible explanations.  No way in hell digital sales of Halo accounted for that much.



ArchangelMadzz said:
But it was record breaking! It's the fastest selling 4 letter game that has the number 5 after it exclusive to any Xbox device.


I laughed way more at this than I should have.



Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

mornelithe said:

Yeah, but I meant possible explanations.  No way in hell digital sales of Halo accounted for that much.

Halo had been on store for digital pre-order  since June. Not an end answer but you can imagine the role of digital sales in this particular software.



mornelithe said:
Wonktonodi said:
mornelithe said:
Wonktonodi said:


yes, so not quite as bad as some are making it out to be, since the 400 million did have to come from somewhere

The only possible explanation other than NPD being wrong (unlikely) is the 400 million is the shipped amount (Sounds like something MS would do, though, make no mistake, Sony's played sleight of hand with numbers reporting in the past, lumping hardware together and so on etc...  Microsoft doesn't own this kind of spin, they're just having to do more of it this gen than last).

Still, as I've said in earlier posts, Fallout 4 and November could very well be impacting sales in October as it has in December.  Maybe Shadow can crunch some numbers for the last several Octobers, like he did with Dec.

there are still more posibilities, higher digital than usual for physical, most of the hardware for the month being halo bundles, more dlc bought, more hardware counted than people are thinking of. It was too vague of a PR piece. as for now, under a million could still mean in the high 900,000s people really shouldn't be hoping for halo numbers to be low, since it sold more than any other game this month.

Hopefully things will be all around better when we get the results for November

Yeah, but I meant possible explanations.  No way in hell digital sales of Halo accounted for that much.


if I had the time, I'd break it down. Work with the numbers we know for sure, see all the variables see if any combination of values makes sence and then either conclude if the 400 million was to end users or not, too many people are making conclusions without bothering to do the math first.