Quantcast
Destiny PS4 beats Titanfall sales on XB1 after only 1 week vs Titanfall's many months!

Forums - Sales Discussion - Destiny PS4 beats Titanfall sales on XB1 after only 1 week vs Titanfall's many months!

Titanfall's attach rate on Xbox One is still significantly higher than Destiny's attach rate on PS4. So it's not quite as impressive imo. Now Destiny's attach rate on PS4 could catch up to Titanfall's attach rate on Xbox One, but I'm not convinced that it will, not after the lukewarm critical reception that Destiny received, that could hurt it's legs.



Around the Network
iTechHeads said:

Anyone who says this isn't impressive is lying to themselves. It is really impressive, regardless of install base since a high install base doesn't necessarily mean high sales.

I agree, if someone at the beginning of this year would have said that Destiny PS4 first week would beat Titanfall LTD, a game that launched in March, he would have been called crazy. And Titanfall is a next gen exclusive, Destiny isn't.



thismeintiel said:
Aura7541 said:
REDZONE said:
Talk about downplaying like a mofo.Titanfall was given away for free,"FREE"and was the next coming of Christ.Congrats to Destiny.

Basically this. The Kinectless X1 was not out at the time and getting Titanfall for free with an X1 + Kinect was the best deal. Meanwhile, you either had to pay the full $60 for the standalone game or an extra $50 with the PS4 bundle.

MS also cut the price of the Titanfall bundle to $449 a few weeks before launch, so it was effectively much cheaper than the PS4, as you would have to pay ~$520 for PS4+Infamous+PS Camera.  Or if you take out the camera, they were the same price.

Oh damn, how could I forget that? You were literally getting an X1 for virtually $290 if you take into account the price of the game and the price difference between the Kinectless SKU and X1 + Kinect. If you take into the standalone Kinect's price ($150), the theoretical price goes down to $240, which is really low and a fantastic deal. The Titanfall bundle was the best thing MS offered especially after X1 sales fell off the map starting January. Heck, it was still the best deal after the Kinectless SKU came out hence why the X1 could not beat the PS4 in June NPD, in my opinion.



Aura7541 said:

Oh damn, how could I forget that? You were literally getting an X1 for virtually $290 if you take into account the price of the game and the price difference between the Kinectless SKU and X1 + Kinect. If you take into the standalone Kinect's price ($150), the theoretical price goes down to $240, which is really low and a fantastic deal. The Titanfall bundle was the best thing MS offered especially after X1 sales fell off the map starting January. Heck, it was still the best deal after the Kinectless SKU came out hence why the X1 could not beat the PS4 in June NPD, in my opinion.

There is a deal some days after the Titanfall launch.

+ Xbone + Kinect (there is no Kinectless at time)
+ Titanfall
+ 1 game (I don't remember which but you can choose between 3)
+ 1 year Gold Live

$450.

It was a huge deal at the time and people created threads here and all.



Too_Talls said:
ethomaz said:
CDiablo said:
The review embargo really helped Destiny. Titanfall was seen as short on content and not that great so the hype was quelled by the time it hit the market. Destiny had a embargo and many underwhelmed buyers.

My opinion but I don't think review could change anything in sales at all... people already made his choice even before the game launch and reviews won't change that.

Maybe it could even sell better if reviews was out early... I don't know.


Stubburn people. I wanna see reviews before jumping on new IP's..........I just don't care about reviews on long running franchises that I feel obligated to buy reguardless. 

It's the opposite for me. As long as the game looks appealing to me I'm going to buy it even if reviews are mediocre.

Not every game has to be a 90+



Around the Network
shikamaru317 said:

Titanfall's attach rate on Xbox One is still significantly higher than Destiny's attach rate on PS4. So it's not quite as impressive imo. Now Destiny's attach rate on PS4 could catch up to Titanfall's attach rate on Xbox One, but I'm not convinced that it will, not after the lukewarm critical reception that Destiny received, that could hurt it's legs.


Uh, of course it won't.

Think about when Titanfall was released. Both PS4 and XB1 had very few flagship games (no Halo, no Gears, no God of War, no Uncharted, no Gran Turismo, etc/infinity).

Titanfall was launched during drought-times, given away with XB1 WITH a discount, etc. The attach rates were high for these reasons, and of course the biggest hype train and advertising blitz I've ever seen in 3+ decades of gaming.

Now compare a game like GTAV's attach rate to Titanfall. GTAV looks like an absolute failure by comparison, the attach rate was never even close to Titanfall even after so long on the market. Yet GTAV is a resounding success.

Destiny has done, and will do quite well, but it's also launching at the beginning of the fall season, so it's going up against an incredibly diverse lineup of titles rather than a drought.

If Destiny had launched in March of this year? I think the attach rate would have been similar. Basically you could swap either of these games out and get the same result. Titanfall launched in September at $59 and no free + discounted packin bundle, attach rates wouldn't be nearly what they were by launching in March.



Too_Talls said:
swbf2lord said:

Titanfall was hyped so high, some thought it would be the best-selling game in 2014 at the time of release, which is what I'm taking into account. That's why userbase doesn't really matter. People thought it would "save the Xbox One". 


"people thought" is far too much of a vauge and general statment to through the legitimate userbase factor out of this argument.

who ever those "people" were they were wrong and what ever that topic was, it wasn't this.

 

I don't remember anyone thinking a game releasing on 2 consoles and the pc would be the best selling game, it's a very far out there assumption.

Well GTA pulled that off last year but the two consoles were not two consoles from the same company which makes a huge difference.


Eh, I don't even care enough anymore to read your comment. I really wish VGChartz gave users a way to delete their accounts. I really don't like this community.



I see a lot of people here ignoring an important fact. Sales are not linearly proportional to the user base. As the user base goes up, it diversifies, so at 2 x the user base, you may only have 1.5 x the sales. The factor goes down as the user base goes up.

The best example I can think of is Madden. Madden NFL 07 sold 1.79 million lifetime on X360. The majority of those sales would have been when the user base was less than 10 million. Madden NFL 13 sold 2.76 million, when the user base was 70+ million.

As for hype, Titanfall was hyped more than Destiny on XBox One. I would argue that Titanfall on XBox One was more hyped then Destiny on the PS4, although not by much. I remember the media hyping Titanfall at all gaming events (E3, PAX, Fan Expos, etc), as the game was playable at each of these events. Destiny received a lot of hype after E3 with the beta, but it seemed to quiet down a bit after. Both games received a lot of advertising at the time of release.



DM235 said:
I see a lot of people here ignoring an important fact. Sales are not linearly proportional to the user base. As the user base goes up, it diversifies, so at 2 x the user base, you may only have 1.5 x the sales. The factor goes down as the user base goes up.

The best example I can think of is Madden. Madden NFL 07 sold 1.79 million lifetime on X360. The majority of those sales would have been when the user base was less than 10 million. Madden NFL 13 sold 2.76 million, when the user base was 70+ million.

As for hype, Titanfall was hyped more than Destiny on XBox One. I would argue that Titanfall on XBox One was more hyped then Destiny on the PS4, although not by much. I remember the media hyping Titanfall at all gaming events (E3, PAX, Fan Expos, etc), as the game was playable at each of these events. Destiny received a lot of hype after E3 with the beta, but it seemed to quiet down a bit after. Both games received a lot of advertising at the time of release.

Maybe on the forums but definitely not in the real world. At least not in the Uk, Destiny TV spots were on every primetime show, PS4 bilboards for it were everywhere and they took over entire tube stations.



A few points:

1.Hype In forums =/= Hype in real world. The amount of marketing thrown at Destiny (all exclusive to ps4) is beyond anything I've seen in recent memory.

2. Userbase is everything when you're talking young consoles as they inherently have extremely high active user rates. No one spends $400 on a system then ignores it 4months down the road... So the 2:1 ratio between the PS34and Xbox is actually incredibly important and very visible in the sales data of most mainstream releases which aren't sports skewed.

3. None of this changes that this an impressive feet. Honestly no one would have predicted this back in march. I forecast Titanfall to sell 4m this year and 5m Lifetime.

4. Whats probably more interesting is that in 1 week this game outsold every single PS4 exclusive released thus far, in 2 weeks it will overtake Watchdogs and become the systems highest selling game, in the same week it will probably outsell Mario kart 8 and become the highest selling game of the year.

Not sure if I buy the hype but Gad Damn!