Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft on Xbox One: some things haven't worked, but we are learning

Microsoft has learned its lesson from elements of the Xbox One launch that did not work, says Harvey Eagle, the UK marketing head of Xbox. Speaking before the announcement of the Titanfall bundle deal, which will see the sci-fi shooter included with the console, he conceded that aspects of the service, especially its social functionality, need improving. 

“I want to be honest: there are some things that haven’t worked as well as they were intended to - we’ve had a lot of feedback from our community about that,” Eagle told the Guardian. “The March system update will improve party chat; it will be turned on by default, you’ll be able to chat with friends across different games, you’ll be able to get to your friends list much faster - that will now be on the homepage of the Friends app.

On the original TV TV TV vision:

However, Eagle says that Microsoft has clearly moved on. “The original thinking behind what we did at the time was to make some announcements about the entertainment features that we were building into the box that we felt were unique and special, and then very quickly afterwards move on to gaming,” he said. “We’ve been consistently talking about games since E3 2013, that’s what we’ll carry on doing, reminding people that this is a games console for gamers, that just happens to have some incredible entertainment features built in as well.”

On the next gen power difference:

“Let’s be clear about this: Xbox One fully supports 1080p at 60 frames-per-second,” said Eagle. “Forza Motosport 5 is an example of a game that delivers on that. It’s up to individual developers to determine what is the best balance in order to deliver the best experience to gamers. No longer can you measure or talk about power in terms of pixels and polygon counts. Performance in this era comes from three areas: hardware, software and the cloud. 

“The reason the Titanfall beta has been so successful is that it is powered by dedicated servers – that makes the game run smoothly without interruptions. You need to think about what power really means in the next generation.”

And finally on upcoming games:

As for forthcoming games, Eagle has said that Microsoft understands the importance of original and exclusive content – as well as supporting the indie development community – and predictably promises that more will be announced at the E3 video game exhibition in Los Angeles in June. 

“We’ve made some exclusive announcements, including Project Spark, Kinect Sports Rivals and Sunset Overdrive,” he said. “There will also be a significant pipeline of new games coming from Microsoft studios, some of which have been announced, some you’ll hear about at E3. 

“Look out for some very exciting game announcements, both from Microsoft studios and also our third-party partners... We’re very excited about E3.”

 

Some more in the article: http://www.theguardian.com/technolog...e-are-learning

And according to CVG, Xbox One EU & PAL television integration fix promised 'within weeks'

"I can't give you a specific date today, but I can tell you definitely that that issue will be resolved within a matter of weeks as one of the updates that we make to the console," Xbox UK's Harvery told CVG.

"I'm happy to confirm that that will be Spring time frame. I can't be more specific than that, but it's weeks, not months. It's important and we're excited to get that fixed as quickly as possible."

http://www.computerandvideogames.com...-within-weeks/



Around the Network

Got to laugh at the power difference bit. You can no longer determine power by pixels and polygons? Sure you can't.

And when they are asked that they really should fall on "power isn't everything." Not talk up the BS that is the cloud over and over. They also should stop bringing up Forza, as that game had to have considerable downgrades to even achieve 1080p and 60FPS.

And lastly, I'll never understand why MS didn't get WAY more flack for lying to journalists and consumers about their E3 builds that were running on HW much better than what was actually in the One. Sony got quite a bit of flack for overpromising with their PS3 target vids, but MS got nothing from the media for creating playable builds that were never going to be playable on the One. I guess MS just has deeper pockets.



   

Delusional, the new N-word.

Original and exclusive content at E3= We will buy original and exclusive content so it doesn't seem like we can't make games. Oh yes, we can explain away why third party games cant reach 1080p on our platform as easily as the PS4 as well. It's fine...don't worry about it. We're learning. ;)



Talking down TV, talking up Games, smells like a foundation for Kinectless SKU

ESRAM is one of things that didn't work...

Around the Network

LOL at first two all comments until mine...

Can't wait to see their lineup at E3 and it's a good thing they are focusing on games right now. Later on the gen I'm sure tv integration will get better and at a cheaper price casuals will get on board for this value alone.



thismeintiel said:

Got to laugh at the power difference bit. You can no longer determine power by pixels and polygons? Sure you can't.

And when they are asked that they really should fall on "power isn't everything." Not talk up the BS that is the cloud over and over. They also should stop bringing up Forza, as that game had to have considerable downgrades to even achieve 1080p and 60FPS.

And lastly, I'll never understand why MS didn't get WAY more flack for lying to journalists and consumers about their E3 builds that were running on HW much better than what was actually in the One. Sony got quite a bit of flack for overpromising with their PS3 target vids, but MS got nothing from the media for creating playable builds that were never going to be playable on the One. I guess MS just has deeper pockets.

Obviouly they can't be honest and admit to being an inferior console (powerwise) compared to the PS4. It would be even worse for them.



Figgycal said:
thismeintiel said:

Got to laugh at the power difference bit. You can no longer determine power by pixels and polygons? Sure you can't.

And when they are asked that they really should fall on "power isn't everything." Not talk up the BS that is the cloud over and over. They also should stop bringing up Forza, as that game had to have considerable downgrades to even achieve 1080p and 60FPS.

And lastly, I'll never understand why MS didn't get WAY more flack for lying to journalists and consumers about their E3 builds that were running on HW much better than what was actually in the One. Sony got quite a bit of flack for overpromising with their PS3 target vids, but MS got nothing from the media for creating playable builds that were never going to be playable on the One. I guess MS just has deeper pockets.

Obviouly they can't be honest and admit to being an inferior console (powerwise) compared to the PS4. It would be even worse for them.

There problem is EVERYONE who has done any kind of research knows its weaker.  And the people who don't know aren't likely to be reading these types of articles.  It's part of the reason there is such a large sales gap, one that is only going to continue to get larger.  Like I said, though, they don't have to keep making excuses or bring up TEH CLOUD.  Just say power isn't everything and move on. 

And really, their stunt at E3 didn't really help them any.  Sure the media not acting like its a big deal to lie to everyone ensures that the general public won't find out, but more informed gamers know.  It also gave Xbox fans a false hope on the kind of power/visuals to expect from the One.  They were bragging about how even with a less powerful GPU, the games at E3 proved that the One wasn't that far off, if any at all.  Now, we see the real releases of these games (downgrades in visuals, resolution, and FPS), and it just makes them look like fools.  Not their fault, of course.  My only problem is how they act like it was no big deal they were lied to, as well.



   

Delusional, the new N-word.

Xenostar said:
Talking down TV, talking up Games, smells like a foundation for Kinectless SKU

I cannot believe you are still spiting this non-sense out... Kinectless Xbox One will not happen; just stop hoping.



Around the Network
Why do MS keep talking about the power diff and trying to spin? Forza is a terrible example as look how downgraded that game is to get to 1080p and 60 FPS. They should just focus on the strengths of the console, their spin all the time makes it even worse. Cringe worthy bad PR spin, people are not idiots.