This topic for those that want to see corroborated evidence that Hiroyuki Ito (Director: FFVI, FFIX, FFXII) is likely working on FFXVI. The following points imply that Ito's either directing FFXVI or has some other major role on it. Together they support the growing belief that Hiroyuki Ito is directing FFXVI, which many FF fans now have:
- Hiroshi Minagawa avoided answering if FFXV would be his next game as director after Tactics Ogre PSP.
- Yoshinori Kitase said that we will get FFXV and FFXVI in the near future.
- Hironobu Sakaguchi told me face-to-face while he was in London, he believes Hiroyuki Ito could make FF a leading and respected RPG series again.
- Shinichi Tatsuke stated that Hiroyuki Ito only provided the original concept of Guardian Cross and was not actually a member of the development team.
- Naoki Yoshida said that Hiroyuki Ito was not working on FFXIV: A Realm Reborn. However, he wouldn't disclose what game Ito was working on.
- Naoki Yoshida said that FFXIV ARR is the starting point of regaining people's trust in the FF franchise. He added it will make people excited to see what will be in store for them in FFXV and FFXVI.
- Hiroyuki Ito said that current gen (PS3/360) was too weak to handle his gameplay ideas.
- Naoki Yoshida said that back in December 2010, when he became Producer/Director of FFXV 1.0, many other staff were brought in from other projects. He added that Hiroshi Minagawa is multi-tasking FFXIV ARR with another big project. However, Minagawa is not working on LR FFXIII or FFXV, so what big project could he be working on besides FFXIV ARR?
- I asked Toshiyuki Itahana via Twitter if Hiroyuki Ito will direct another mainline FF, as FFIX and FFXII are my favorites. He replied saying that he also respects Hiroyuki Ito as an amazing game creator, and that I should please look forward to Ito's next game.
- Nobuo Uematsu told me face-to-face while he was in London, he can guarantee that Hiroyuki Ito will direct another FF game. When I asked if Ito will direct either FFXV or FFXVI, he laughed and replied that his answer would get him in trouble with Square Enix.
- Shinji Hashimoto said that Hiroyuki ito has been planning and proposing ideas for a new project. He added that Ito is adding a lot of depth to the gameplay systems and mechanics. As a result, development of this project will take some time.
- Shinji Hashimoto told me face-to-face while he was in London, the reason Hiroyuki Ito hasn't worked on any current gen (PS3/360) FF games is because he's been busy planning his own project for a few years now. When I asked when this project will be announced, he replied saying that Ito is adding a tremendous amount of depth to the gameplay systems and mechanics. As a result, this project will take some time until it's revealed.
- I asked Yasumi Matsuno via Twitter if he would write the scenario for FFXVI if Hiroyuki Ito was the director. He replied saying thanks for the question, but he unfortunately had "certain reservations" about answering it. In other words, the answer to the question was in NDA territory.
- Yasumi Matsuno announced that he was working on two new games with Playdek. However, when asked if he would be directing either of them, he said that he wasn't because he's also got other projects going for other companies, some of which have assigned a large amount of work for him to do.