Quantcast
Locked: Epic confirms: Unreal Engine 4 is NOT coming to Wii U

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Epic confirms: Unreal Engine 4 is NOT coming to Wii U

mii-gamer said:
Wii U is doom3d because itz got noz unreal engine 4'

It is not getting games that use UE3 or the latest Frostbyte engine.  In short, the Wii U won't be getting third party content on the two major game engines.  Companies just don't design there own, pretty much.  And there are reasons.  Without this support, the Wii U has problems.  Maybe it can stand on its own without third-party support, and Nintendo makes money.  But dominate like the Wii did?  Do you think so?

In short, you are NOT seeing talk like this any more:



Around the Network
dahuman said:
 

Nintendo chose Unity, right in their SDK lol. It's a really good choice TBH, it's cheaper, it's flexible, and it's easy to use. I personally don't see a point in a Wii U version of UE4 directly from Epic since I never thought it'd be able to run the advanced effects in it to start with. I mean PS4 can't even reach their target render and they had to cut SVOGI, so what the hell would they accomplish with the Wii U?

I would not care if it's UE3, UE3+ or UE4U as long as devs have a viable and reliable way to port games developed for PC/PS4/Xbox. I've heard good things about Unity, but it won't help the WiiU having UE4-based multiplatforms coming out the same day as the PC/PS4/Xbox counterparts. Late ports usually perform much worse sales-wise.



"All you need in life is ignorance and confidence; then success is sure." - Mark Twain

"..." - Gordon Freeman

WereKitten said:
dahuman said:
 

Nintendo chose Unity, right in their SDK lol. It's a really good choice TBH, it's cheaper, it's flexible, and it's easy to use. I personally don't see a point in a Wii U version of UE4 directly from Epic since I never thought it'd be able to run the advanced effects in it to start with. I mean PS4 can't even reach their target render and they had to cut SVOGI, so what the hell would they accomplish with the Wii U?

I would not care if it's UE3, UE3+ or UE4U as long as devs have a viable and reliable way to port games developed for PC/PS4/Xbox. I've heard good things about Unity, but it won't help the WiiU having UE4-based multiplatforms coming out the same day as the PC/PS4/Xbox counterparts. Late ports usually perform much worse sales-wise.

I'm not sure what the point would be if the games are going to look like shit on the Wii U with UE4, I really don't think Wii U owners got the Wii U thinking the graphics would be like from last year's PC demo lol. Besides, I'd just recommend people to not get the shitty looking one unless the game pad feature would be so good that the game is worthwhile on Wii U. It might suck for the Wii U only owners that care about those games, but that's the reality of the situation.

I also didn't think Mark would be talking good things about the Wii U when one of Epic's engine competitors who's on the rise has their SDK right in the Wii U dev kit for no extra cost to start with. It'd be like him saying that Cryengine is obviously better than Unreal Engine, which will NEVER come out from his mouth, only PR jabs if anything.



richardhutnik said:
mii-gamer said:
Wii U is doom3d because itz got noz unreal engine 4'

It is not getting games that use UE3 or the latest Frostbyte engine.  In short, the Wii U won't be getting third party content on the two major game engines.  Companies just don't design there own, pretty much.  And there are reasons.  Without this support, the Wii U has problems.  Maybe it can stand on its own without third-party support, and Nintendo makes money.  But dominate like the Wii did?  Do you think so?


I think the bigger concern is that if game companies jump ship to UE4 too quickly, where are they going to make their money if they can't port the games to PS3/360/WiiU?

 

Do they think that the early intall base of PS4/Nextbox with some PC will be enough to cover the development costs for games that will have huge budgets that need to use UE4 or Frostbyte?

 

It seems a lot of companies are putting all thier eggs in one basket that consumers are going to jump on the next gen early and fast, so what if they don't? If Microsoft takes the same route as Sony then they are expecting consumers to quit their old console cold turkey and just jump to the next-gen with no real transition period. Look at what happened to Nintendo when they just stopped supporting Wii, and WiiU has backwards compatibility to help people transition.

 

Just seems very strange to jump to next gen so quickly and assuming that consumers will do the same.



TheJimbo1234 said:
KHlover said:

Sigh, I can post the specs:

Galaxy S4:

OS Android OS, v4.2.2 (Jelly Bean)
Chipset Exynos 5 Octa 5410
CPU Quad-core 1.6 GHz Cortex-A15 & quad-core 1.2 GHz Cortex-A7 (In Europe, region that counts for me)
GPU PowerVR SGX 544MP3 (7,2 GFlops per core @200 MHz) Source

2 GB RAM

 

PS3:

Component   Playstation 3
Media   Blu-Ray
Processor   3.2GHz Cell - 7 SPEs
System RAM   256MB XDR @ 3.2GHz, 256MB GDDR3 @ 700MHz VRAM
Graphics Chip   nVidia RSX@550MHz
Max Resolution   1080p
Best Video   HDMI 1.3 (on best system)
Network   1Gbit (1000Mbit), 802.11 b/g on 60GB model
Controllers   7 x Wireless
Hard Drive   20Gb or 60Gb

GPU: 218 GFlops

Source: http://www.futuregamez.net/hardware/ps3hard/system/system.html

 

PSVita:

Performance

CPU brand ARM
CPU model Cortex A9 MPCore (2,5 MHz per core)
Cores 4
GPU model SGX543MP4+ (7,2 GFlops per core)
RAM 512 MB

Sources:

http://www.theverge.com/products/playstation-vita-wi-fi/1617

http://www.arm.com/products/processors/cortex-a/cortex-a9.php

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PowerVR#Series_5XT

 

So overall the PS3 still is the strongest system :P

 

 


You're S4 specs are wrong, though that is an easy mistake due to how often new models come out. The CPU is in fact a 1.6GHz Octa-Core processor/1.9GHz quad-core processor in UK. "The Samsung Galaxy S4 is equipped with a 1.9GHz Quad-core AP or a 1.6GHz Octa-core AP [application processor]," the company said in a statement sent to PC Pro." at 28nm, which is far more advanced than the ancient relics that run the current consoles. Also note how that GPU runs DX 10.1....so straight away it has more features than current consoles.

Plus, is it really that hard to believe? How many people own phones and will happily drop £500 for a phone every 18 months, yet how many gamers complain if a new console comes out for £350 with a 4 year shelf life? One market has a future, the other does not.

It'll be another generation of mobile chips (about a year or two) before mobile chips are comparable with current gen console power. They may have more modern feature sets (I doubt you'll be seeing many of those features utilised in mobiles), but in power terms the Galaxy S4 only has a 51.4 GFlops GPU. That's around a quarter of the PS3. Even the newly announced Tegra 4 has a max output of 80 GFlops. 

And I'm not sure what 28nm has to do with anything but chip efficiency and manufacturing costs. If they wanted to, they could decrease manufacturing of current gen console chips to 28nm. They're currently at 40nm anyway so it's on the cards for that to happen before the next round of price drops.



Around the Network

I have said this before but once developers stop developing for the PS3 and X360 than Wii-U is really in trouble. They are not going to develop an entire new engine for the Wii-U alone while Ps4/720/PC run a much more advanced one. Nintendo's ambitions with the Wii-U have failed.



Scoobes said:
TheJimbo1234 said:
KHlover said:

Sigh, I can post the specs:

Galaxy S4:

OS Android OS, v4.2.2 (Jelly Bean)
Chipset Exynos 5 Octa 5410
CPU Quad-core 1.6 GHz Cortex-A15 & quad-core 1.2 GHz Cortex-A7 (In Europe, region that counts for me)
GPU PowerVR SGX 544MP3 (7,2 GFlops per core @200 MHz) Source

2 GB RAM

 

PS3:

Component   Playstation 3
Media   Blu-Ray
Processor   3.2GHz Cell - 7 SPEs
System RAM   256MB XDR @ 3.2GHz, 256MB GDDR3 @ 700MHz VRAM
Graphics Chip   nVidia RSX@550MHz
Max Resolution   1080p
Best Video   HDMI 1.3 (on best system)
Network   1Gbit (1000Mbit), 802.11 b/g on 60GB model
Controllers   7 x Wireless
Hard Drive   20Gb or 60Gb

GPU: 218 GFlops

Source: http://www.futuregamez.net/hardware/ps3hard/system/system.html

 

PSVita:

Performance

CPU brand ARM
CPU model Cortex A9 MPCore (2,5 MHz per core)
Cores 4
GPU model SGX543MP4+ (7,2 GFlops per core)
RAM 512 MB

Sources:

http://www.theverge.com/products/playstation-vita-wi-fi/1617

http://www.arm.com/products/processors/cortex-a/cortex-a9.php

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PowerVR#Series_5XT

 

So overall the PS3 still is the strongest system :P

 

 


You're S4 specs are wrong, though that is an easy mistake due to how often new models come out. The CPU is in fact a 1.6GHz Octa-Core processor/1.9GHz quad-core processor in UK. "The Samsung Galaxy S4 is equipped with a 1.9GHz Quad-core AP or a 1.6GHz Octa-core AP [application processor]," the company said in a statement sent to PC Pro." at 28nm, which is far more advanced than the ancient relics that run the current consoles. Also note how that GPU runs DX 10.1....so straight away it has more features than current consoles.

Plus, is it really that hard to believe? How many people own phones and will happily drop £500 for a phone every 18 months, yet how many gamers complain if a new console comes out for £350 with a 4 year shelf life? One market has a future, the other does not.

It'll be another generation of mobile chips (about a year or two) before mobile chips are comparable with current gen console power. They may have more modern feature sets (I doubt you'll be seeing many of those features utilised in mobiles), but in power terms the Galaxy S4 only has a 51.4 GFlops GPU. That's around a quarter of the PS3. Even the newly announced Tegra 4 has a max output of 80 GFlops. 

And I'm not sure what 28nm has to do with anything but chip efficiency and manufacturing costs. If they wanted to, they could decrease manufacturing of current gen console chips to 28nm. They're currently at 40nm anyway so it's on the cards for that to happen before the next round of price drops.


Seeing that the mobile market is worth more than the console market, this will drive innovation and has been doing so for sometime, hence why I say it won't be long until phones do surpass current consoles. Also I mentioned transistors simply to show that phones are using more modern techniques and will do so due to the quick developoment cycle they have compared to a console.



ethomaz said:
Metallicube said:

I'm beginning to hope the games industry crashes with their attitude towards nintendo. If karma is indeed a real thing, you better believe it will.

It is all Nintendo fault to not have a good releationship with the industry.

It's the industry's fault for being a bunch of myopic assclowns.



Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Mr Khan said:

It's the industry's fault for being a bunch of myopic assclowns.

Why? Nintendo obvious didn't listen the industry and maybe made the worst console already created.



ethomaz said:

Mr Khan said:

It's the industry's fault for being a bunch of myopic assclowns.

Why? Nintendo obvious didn't listen the industry and maybe made the worst console already created.

The Wii U is the answer to the industry's complaints about the Wii, and they get yet more scorn than they got even with the Wii. If anything, it's proof that the industry wants nothing but Nintendo's destruction.

The industry is determined to hate Nintendo. I'm just glad Nintendo's more mature than these assfaces. If it were me, i'd run hate ads against EA and Epic, and damn the expense.



Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.