In order to unlock the High Value targets, you will need to earn Stars in the solo mission mode. There are 9 HVTs in the game and with each one you unlock, it gets a little tougher to get to the target to kill them. In this mode, you don't have a checkpoint, so if you die, you will need to start from the beginning. Overall, making the game challenging, but not making you go insane, because of the varied difficulty.
Once you are done with those modes, you can always take part in the Daily Challenges. You only get one chance to post a high score, so make sure it counts. While there isn't much to it, it's always nice to have bragging rights for a set amount of time.
Unit 13 has about nine different locations in the game, some more enjoyable to go through than others. While some locations are bigger than others, the missions that you play, depending on the length will let you see how each location is different from the others. You could be either in a club, a train station, a building, etc... Wherever you go, you can tell that or adapt to the locations with ease.
The enemies in Unit 13 tend to keep their movement frozen until you; the player enters a specific area. In most cases, when the enemy comes to check out an area, they will react to a gunshot or finding a body on the ground, changing the indicator of the enemy on you mini map from white to yellow and from yellow to red, when they see you and start engaging in combat. The enemies are not the smartest, but they will shoot at you when they don't see you. Or shoot at your last know location until you start shooting at them again. If any point, they don't see you they will go back to just roaming the area and forgetting about you. As the difficulty goes up, you will tend to see how there are some problems with the enemy A.I.
The game is fairly easy to get use to and a great pick up and go type of game that you can play anywhere. It's a perfect fit for the Vita. If you have an online connected Vita (Wi-Fi or 3G), you can also take advantage of the Daily Challenges, to expand the life of the game and compete against people around the world.
In closing, Unit 13 came out, being a great shooter and will end 2012 being the best shooter the Vita has to offer in 2012. Will that change in 2013? Well that remains to be seen. With its varied solos missions (Co-op and Dynamic), HVT mode, the ability to level up 6 different operatives, online leader-board, plus more; Unit 13 has more than enough replay-ability to last the player a long time. Would I recommend this game? Yes, I would. If you are a player looking for a shooter fix on the go or just looking for something to shoot, I believe Unit 13 is the way to go.
It’s sad to see Zipper Interactive go.
- Game Modes
- Lack of competitive MP
- Enemy A.I
- Lack of enemies seen from a distance
- Graphics: The graphics in the game are pretty good for a launch title. But that is not to say, it's the best the Vita can offer. The character models, level design, textures, and lighting were all very good and the 5in OLED, does a pretty decent job showing it. - 8.5/10
- Gameplay: The game play is fluid; the difficulty is accessible to all. While it is a third person shooter, it’s no different than what we've seen on other platforms, other than being a truly portable game. - 8.5/10
- Story: Unit 13 doesn't have a direct story that plays out during the campaign. But it does have smaller segments that can be broken down a story for that specific mission. Each mission is made up of task that you have to complete; which can be to plant evidence to cause trouble among a fraction or 2 or to defuse a bomb in nightclub to save the owner or just the club. While the last mission does make it seem like there was a story going on all along, it doesn't play out to it's fullest. - 8/10
- Multiplayer: While the lack of a competitive MP, it does have an enjoyable Cooperative MP, that can be a hit or miss with some, but enjoyable nonetheless. The daily challenges are a nice mix for those looking to go against others scores in a different challenge online. - 8.5/10
- Overall - 8.3/10