Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo posts first ever loss - $460 million

http://www.gametrailers.com/side-mission/2012/04/26/nintendo-reports-first-ever-annual-operating-loss/

"

Summing up:  Nintendo expected to sell 13 million Wiis but only sold 9.8 million; it expected to sell 16 million 3DS' but only sold 13.5 million; it expected to sell 11 million DS' but only sold half that many.

Software sales were also down about 35%.

"



Around the Network
"may require it to shrink its hardware business and instead chase profits for Super Mario and other game titles on devices built by other firms."

Please STFU already.

All in all, a terrible Year for Nintendo.

With 3DS finally profiting sometime in the next Year, NSMB2 and Wii U releasing... Hopefully we see them bounce right back.

 

Nintendo confirms that it's selling 3DS at a loss, expects that to change


Ever since Nintendo slashed the price of the 3DS, there's been plenty of speculation that the gaming giant has been selling the portable console at a loss. The company acknowledged that fact during its disappointing earnings report, stating, "its hardware has been sold below cost because of its significant price cut in the fiscal year ended March 31, 2012," something that's uncharacteristic of the company's past operations. But as with its fairly unfortunate financials, the company plans to turn things around, adding, "Nintendo expects to cease selling it below cost by the middle of the fiscal year ending March 31, 2013."

 

 

http://www.engadget.com/2012/04/26/nintendo-confirms-that-its-selling-3ds-at-a-loss-expects-that/



Didn't they lose money last year, too?

Besides, I thought the 3DS sold a lot more than that. (17 Million?!)

Official Mario Kart 8 Thread:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=162055&page=1#

Carl is a Piplup hater and deserves to be punished eternally.

Around the Network
Still good numbers while having an concurrent as the Iphone/Ipad.

 

sad.man.loves.vgc said:

Nintendo confirms that it's selling 3DS at a loss, expects that to change


Ever since Nintendo slashed the price of the 3DS, there's been plenty of speculation that the gaming giant has been selling the portable console at a loss. The company acknowledged that fact during its disappointing earnings report, stating, "its hardware has been sold below cost because of its significant price cut in the fiscal year ended March 31, 2012," something that's uncharacteristic of the company's past operations. But as with its fairly unfortunate financials, the company plans to turn things around, adding, "Nintendo expects to cease selling it below cost by the middle of the fiscal year ending March 31, 2013."

 

 

http://www.engadget.com/2012/04/26/nintendo-confirms-that-its-selling-3ds-at-a-loss-expects-that/

Just how dumb are journalists? When Iwata announced the 3DS price cut he also said that it will mean that Nintendo will be selling it at a loss. That's clear as day, yet this journalist talks about speculation.



Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

Biased reviews are a pleasure to read. Just my opinion, of course.

NintendoPie said:
Didn't they lose money last year, too?

Besides, I thought the 3DS sold a lot more than that. (17 Million?!)

Not for the full fiscal year and the 17 million is lifetime.  The 13.5 million figure shown here is fiscal year.



The rEVOLution is not being televised

I wonder how much of a lose the 3DS is selling at?, i wouldnt imagine its that much?.

Raptr Forum Signature

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
sad.man.loves.vgc said:

Nintendo confirms that it's selling 3DS at a loss, expects that to change


Ever since Nintendo slashed the price of the 3DS, there's been plenty of speculation that the gaming giant has been selling the portable console at a loss. The company acknowledged that fact during its disappointing earnings report, stating, "its hardware has been sold below cost because of its significant price cut in the fiscal year ended March 31, 2012," something that's uncharacteristic of the company's past operations. But as with its fairly unfortunate financials, the company plans to turn things around, adding, "Nintendo expects to cease selling it below cost by the middle of the fiscal year ending March 31, 2013."

 

 

http://www.engadget.com/2012/04/26/nintendo-confirms-that-its-selling-3ds-at-a-loss-expects-that/

Just how dumb are journalists? When Iwata announced the 3DS price cut he also said that it will mean that Nintendo will be selling it at a loss. That's clear as day, yet this journalist talks about speculation.

oh yeah but I only reported because the bolded part was news to me!