Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Was Nintendo's recent minor fall a good thing for them?

Did the recent Nintendo downfall help them?

Assuredly so!
yes
NO
Still waiting to see if they can hold it together till the Wii U
Maybe
other
see resultz
Dr.Grass said:
spurgeonryan said:
Dr.Grass said:
amp316 said:
1. Probably not. Nintendo seems to constantly read incorrectly why they are successful. They will say that a lot of Wiis were bought on Black Friday because people wanted to play Skyward Sword. They also claimed that people originally bought the Wii for Twilight Princess. The truth is that common person bought the Wii for Wii Sports and games like that. Now they are buying it because of the price.

2. Nintendo will continue to go down the path that they did with the Gamecube.  3. They are going to give people what they truly wished that they wanted with the Wii U instead of what they truly want.


1. Do you REALLY think Nintendo doesn't realise that Twilight Princess is only SEVENTEENTH on the list of best sellers for Wii? You think they misinterpreted the market and put Wii Sports in there by accident? 

 

2. The Gamecube was awesome. It was a gamer's dream. Unfortunately most people out there aren't gamers so it didn't sell a shit-load. With the Wii Nintendo CHANGED their approach. Hence the success.

 

3. No. Just no. 

 

Humans are like gold fish. Has everyone already forgot that Nintendo made one hell of an impact with Wii/DS and was even nominated for best run company in the world? Best in the world, and now some average gamers say they know where Nintendo make their faults.


I am glad someone else recognized the GC for what it was. I've added about 300 GC critic review to this site and most of them had strong scores! its strange that it had so many good games and ports , but did not sell that well. i hope Nintendo learned from that as well.


Just don't throw the baby out with the bathwater.

Alright guys.  If the Gamecube is so great, then would you explain how the worst Mario, Mario Kart, and Zelda were released on it?  Also,  I like Luigi's Mansion, but that mansion should have been much, much bigger. 

I guess that I'm not a gamer.



Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

Around the Network
Nintendo will be fine. 3DS has picked up, and it should get better. Though Wii has slowed down they have confirmed to keeping it alive along side the WiiU but who knows for how long. (maybe through FY2013). The only variable would be the WiiU itself. Keep in mind the N64 and the Gamecube never dominated their Generation but Nintendo still managed to stay healthy not to mention the consoles were great in a strictly gaming perspective.

e=mc^2

amp316 said:
Dr.Grass said:
spurgeonryan said:
Dr.Grass said:
amp316 said:
1. Probably not. Nintendo seems to constantly read incorrectly why they are successful. They will say that a lot of Wiis were bought on Black Friday because people wanted to play Skyward Sword. They also claimed that people originally bought the Wii for Twilight Princess. The truth is that common person bought the Wii for Wii Sports and games like that. Now they are buying it because of the price.

2. Nintendo will continue to go down the path that they did with the Gamecube.  3. They are going to give people what they truly wished that they wanted with the Wii U instead of what they truly want.


1. Do you REALLY think Nintendo doesn't realise that Twilight Princess is only SEVENTEENTH on the list of best sellers for Wii? You think they misinterpreted the market and put Wii Sports in there by accident? 

 

2. The Gamecube was awesome. It was a gamer's dream. Unfortunately most people out there aren't gamers so it didn't sell a shit-load. With the Wii Nintendo CHANGED their approach. Hence the success.

 

3. No. Just no. 

 

Humans are like gold fish. Has everyone already forgot that Nintendo made one hell of an impact with Wii/DS and was even nominated for best run company in the world? Best in the world, and now some average gamers say they know where Nintendo make their faults.


I am glad someone else recognized the GC for what it was. I've added about 300 GC critic review to this site and most of them had strong scores! its strange that it had so many good games and ports , but did not sell that well. i hope Nintendo learned from that as well.


Just don't throw the baby out with the bathwater.

Alright guys.  If the Gamecube is so great, then would you explain how the worst Mario, Mario Kart, and Zelda were released on it?  Also,  I like Luigi's Mansion, but that mansion should have been much, much bigger. 

I guess that I'm not a gamer.


Worst Mario: It was only the second 3D Mario ever. Failing to live up to ridiculous expectations shouldn't be surprising.

Worst Zelda: Was fantastic.

Worst Mario Kart: Not really my thing (I hate catch up systems), but I owned it and have to ask: Was it really that bad?

Luigi's Mansion: Was ok. Added to the library.

Metroid Prime 1 and 2: The whole world of videogames was shaken by Prime. People will deny it now, but go read those reviews. GO READ THEM. This game was on another level to any other for me - simply perfect. Nr.2 was ok.

Resident Evil Remake, 

Resident Evil Zero,

Resident Evil 2&3,

Resident Evil Code:Veronica,

Resident Evil 4:

Seeing as how I was a Resident Evil fan (not anymore at all though), this was PRETTY TANTALIZING stuff. Not to mention that RE4 would've stayed exclusive if 'real gamers' actually bought Nintendo's brilliant console. I know there's a DC game and two PSOne titles that weren't altered, but still - the whole RE library at your fingertips. Kiddy console MY ASS.

Waverace, FZero, Super Monkey Ball, Eternal Darkness, TWILIGHT PRINCESS (you CANNOT forget that this is a GC game), Zelda Collectors edition, Viewtiful Joe...

And you fail to mention how incredible Smash Bros was on the Cube. Certainly a massive leap from the N64...

Rogue Squadron II (where are launch titles like this these days eh!?), PIKMIN (OMG what a game), Tales of Symphonia, Fire Emblem...

Something that got me VERY excited and ultimately was 'just' very good, Metal Gear Solid:Twin Snakes...

Skies of Arcadia, Starfox Adventures (I actually found this title very polished and beautiful), Baiten Kaitos...

Now those are just the (all to some extent or another exclusive) games I owned and enjoyed. I know that is the majority of the best ones anyway, but there are more...Paper Mario, Tennis, Golf...

And don't forget there are tons of 3rd party games. I enjoyed Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance for instance. Also, Fifa, Timesplitters, Beyond Good and Evil...

 

The Gamecube had the potential to be the purest gaming console ever - no CD player, no DVD, nada. It was set to be what the N64 could've been. Unfortunately the 'gamers' couldn't see what the purple box was offering them. IT HAD MINIDISCS FOR THE LOVE OF GOD. And the coolest controller ever. If those damn fools bought some consoles then there would've been MORE exclusives (RE4 for instance) and MORE 3rd party support.

So yes, I am saying that any real gamer would've loved the Gamecube if he actually gave it a shot. Short-sightedness due to public perception of the product, and idiotic gamers being enamoured by 'adult' consoles has shaped today's industry.

Last gen it was practically necessary to own all the consoles. I owned the PS2, Gamecube, Dreamcast, Xbox (in that order), and the GC was by far the most played and most loved. This gen, Wii360 or PSWii is more than adequate. These days a PS3 by itself is more than justified.

The richness has gone. How can you not see that?



amp316 said:
Probably not. Nintendo seems to constantly read incorrectly why they are successful. They will say that a lot of Wiis were bought on Black Friday because people wanted to play Skyward Sword. They also claimed that people originally bought the Wii for Twilight Princess. The truth is that common person bought the Wii for Wii Sports and games like that. Now they are buying it because of the price.

Nintendo will continue to go down the path that they did with the Gamecube. They are going to give people what they truly wished that they wanted with the Wii U instead of what they truly want.

I disagree with this

 

WiiU is not going the same way as GC. If that was the case they would just have had advanced graphics and a regular controller but instead they create a new controller that opens up new game play possibilities that could not be done before. So they are taking the same path as they did with Wii but this time with advanced graphics which they normally do anyway except when it came to Wii.

Now I said it in another thread. But the reason the GC failed was because it came out late and did not have as many games as the PS2 did. When you have consoles that can be played the same way but have different amount of games on them people will go for the console that has the most games to play if they don’t fallow certain franchises.




Apparently I am not a real gamer according to Mr. Grass because I tried out the Gamecube and felt that it was Nintendo's worst system. I never called it kiddy, BTW.

Now I shall log out and cry.

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

Around the Network

As one of the biggest Nintendo fans on this site (although I am far from number 1) I'd have to say I was a little worried in the beginning of the year. After the 3DS price drop and knowledge of their upcoming 3DS library, I see no need to worry about the 3DS. I also see little reason why the Wii U won't sell at least 70 million. I believe I am more interested in the possibilities of the Wii U now then when it was first announced. They came down with the case of the hiccups but at least it wasn't full blown syphilis like Sony had this generation.



NNID: SethNES , Steam ID: sethnintendo

amp316 said:
Apparently I am not a real gamer according to Mr. Grass because I tried out the Gamecube and felt that it was Nintendo's worst system. I never called it kiddy, BTW.

Now I shall log out and cry.

It had some great experiences but I agree, it also had the worst iterations of the Nintendo franchises you mentioned

That's why I love Wii so much, even though it was disappointing in some aspects, it definitely houses my favorite iterations of Nintendo's best game series; SMG, MKWii, Brawl, Zelda:TP...etc are all my favourite from each series



My 3DS Friend code is 0877-1237-2177 ...ADD ME! :D

amp316 said:
Apparently I am not a real gamer according to Mr. Grass because I tried out the Gamecube and felt that it was Nintendo's worst system. I never called it kiddy, BTW.

Now I shall log out and cry.


Did you buy the GC at launch?  It did have Super Smash Bros Melee and Luigi's Mansion at launch.  Melee was perhaps one of the best launch games since Super Mario Bros.  Star Wars Rogue Squadron 2  and Super Monkey Ball were also launch games.   Anyways, the Virtual Boy easily tops the list for worst Nintendo system unless you don't even want to mention the name. 



NNID: SethNES , Steam ID: sethnintendo

amp316 said:

Alright guys.  If the Gamecube is so great, then would you explain how the worst Mario, Mario Kart, and Zelda were released on it?  Also,  I like Luigi's Mansion, but that mansion should have been much, much bigger. 

I guess that I'm not a gamer.

It's good to see someone else I agree with when It comes to the Gamecube.



 

 

 

Around the Network
Level1Death said:
amp316 said:

Alright guys.  If the Gamecube is so great, then would you explain how the worst Mario, Mario Kart, and Zelda were released on it?  Also,  I like Luigi's Mansion, but that mansion should have been much, much bigger. 

I guess that I'm not a gamer.

It's good to see someone else I agree with when It comes to the Gamecube.

We should form a club 



My 3DS Friend code is 0877-1237-2177 ...ADD ME! :D