Quantcast
the ultimate vs thread: Final Fantasy VII vs. Zelda: Ocarina of Time

Forums - Gaming Discussion - the ultimate vs thread: Final Fantasy VII vs. Zelda: Ocarina of Time

thetonestarr said:
RageBot said:

FF7.

It has also aged far better than OoT.


You're crazy and there's a certain type of male airflow machine that your comment blatantly screams. FFVII is nearly unplayable by modern standard, while gameplay has barely evolved past what OoT did thirteen years ago.


In the FF series, VII is very low on my rankings. I consider IV, V, VI, IX, X, and XII all to be very easily better games. And one could easily make the argument that every other non-MMO game in the series is more enjoyable, too. Both MMOs, I consider pretty rough, though. And similar opinions are extremely common amongst players of the series as well.

So why was the game 2nd in the vgchartz top 100 games? That's your opinion, and I also don't agree that FF7 is the best in the series, but... I liked it way more than OoT...

Meanwhile, OoT is still revered as either the best game of all time or, at the very worst, one of the top 5 best games of all time, by both the majority of gamers AND aggregate ratings websites.

Toss in Master Quest and Ocarina of Time 3D, and there's absolutely no question about it. Master Quest because it offers an incredible extra degree of replayability that you can almost never find in games like that. OoT3D because it's a very lightly updated version of the game, which proves that OoT has aged fantastically. FFVII could NEVER be re-released as a full game like that without getting a serious makeover. OoT3D only got a minor touchup.

Whatever you say makes no sense :)

1 - The gameplay for OoT has aged, and not that well, FF7's gamepkay is still as solid as it was back than
2 - FF7's soundtrack is still considered one of the best soundtracks in gaming history, and no one will consider OoT's soundtrack even close.
3 - Both games look ugly
4 - OoT3D didn't get a graphic overhaul becase Nintendo are lazy and because it's played on a tiny screen, how good do you think it will look on a 42" TV? What reason is there for not releasing the game for the PSP without a graphic overhall? None, because it already was released and bought online over million times.

 

No, this isn't even a fair debate. It's OoT all the way.





Bet with Dr.A.Peter.Nintendo that Super Mario Galaxy 2 won't sell 15 million copies up to six months after it's release, the winner will get Avatar control for a week and signature control for a month.

Around the Network
Snesboy said:
cloud1161 said:

 every one just loves that tune when you find a new item or triforce piece in ocarina of time.

 

2. You don't find any triforce pieces in OoT. Someone hasn't actually played the game ;)

 


Hahaha, I didn't notice that but yeah it would seem so!



inFAMOUS

 

 

 

 

 

 

Seriously inFAMOUS i haven't played either OoT or FFVII =p



Seeing as how VGC top 50 games had Ocarina of Time as #1 im going to assume majority will say that.  Tho i prefer FF7 eventho i played Ocarina of Time first.  Is it weird of me to think that Ocarina of Time was an good game but not extremely amazing? lol



Well lets compare them and see who is the best.

Graphics

FF7 at its time it was cutting edge but as it is right now it looks like crap as it was released in the early ps1 day so it doesnt pass the test of time

OOT Has some of the best N64 graphics and it still looks decent enough by today standards as the N64 had better graphics.

Gameplay

Here I think OOT wins because FF7 had a pretty good battle system but not revolutionary nor that original. OOT had plenty of imaginative puzzles and while the swordplay was basic the amount of items you had and how they where used made the game more strategic, more original and even revolutionary.

Sound

this one is quite hard as both games have a great soundtrack but I give the nod to ocarina of time because its music was a little more original and it stays with you for much more time. Also the N64 didnt have orchestrated music so it is quite a feat.

Story

FF7 had great story but it was quite convoluted. On the other hand OOT had a lot less dialogue so it was more streamlined. In the end I think FF7 wins as it concentrates more on story than zelda.

Conclusion

So for me OOT wins because it is more original, FF7 felt like a 3d version of FF6 while Zelda was a whole other beast compared to its 2d counterparts. I am not a fan of either game but Zelda does stand out more so there you go.



Around the Network
hikaruchan said:
AOvechkin08 said:

Since the thread limits it to these 2 games as being the best ever, OOT over Final Fantasy 7 any day. There isn't even a discussion IMO. One game had great graphics for the time and fast paced gameplay, the other one had turned based random encounter shit with hideous ass graphics and terrible controls.


ZELDA is an Action Adventure Game, so I guess You don't like RPGs?

I do like RPG's I just can't stand random encounters and turn based gameplay is boring. It's one of those things that doesn't break a game in most cases, but it takes away from the overall enjoyment of a game due to the mass annoyance of not being able to walk 3 steps without randomly running into something. There are better JRPG's available than OoT so it isn't that I like one genre better, but when you compare a terrible jrpg vs one of the best Zelda games ever made.. it's kind of clear what the winner is. Though TOS>>>> ALL GAMES, and FFIX, KH1 > Most games.



AOvechkin08 said:
hikaruchan said:
AOvechkin08 said:

Since the thread limits it to these 2 games as being the best ever, OOT over Final Fantasy 7 any day. There isn't even a discussion IMO. One game had great graphics for the time and fast paced gameplay, the other one had turned based random encounter shit with hideous ass graphics and terrible controls.


ZELDA is an Action Adventure Game, so I guess You don't like RPGs?

I do like RPG's I just can't stand random encounters and turn based gameplay is boring. It's one of those things that doesn't break a game in most cases, but it takes away from the overall enjoyment of a game due to the mass annoyance of not being able to walk 3 steps without randomly running into something. There are better JRPG's available than OoT so it isn't that I like one genre better, but when you compare a terrible jrpg vs one of the best Zelda games ever made.. it's kind of clear what the winner is. Though TOS>>>> ALL GAMES, and FFIX, KH1 > Most games.

If you don't like Random encounters thst much I would recommend Dark Cloud Dark Chronicle(DC2) and Rogue Galaxy 3 awesome ARPGs from LEVEL 5.



Japanese Pop Culture Otaku

This is the first time I've heard of Zelda: Ocarina of Time.

I'm guessing each story in the Zelda universe is about the princess etc. As far as Final Fantasy VII story goes, that universe goes beyond 4 games, and a movie. It is still incomplete.

So my choice is simple. FFVII because the story is deep, and has fun characters to play with.



deskpro2k3 said:

This is the first time I've heard of Zelda: Ocarina of Time.

I'm guessing each story in the Zelda universe is about the princess etc. As far as Final Fantasy VII story goes, that universe goes beyond 4 games, and a movie. It is still incomplete.

So my choice is simple. FFVII because the story is deep, and has fun characters to play with.





MrT-Tar said:
deskpro2k3 said:

This is the first time I've heard of Zelda: Ocarina of Time.

I'm guessing each story in the Zelda universe is about the princess etc. As far as Final Fantasy VII story goes, that universe goes beyond 4 games, and a movie. It is still incomplete.

So my choice is simple. FFVII because the story is deep, and has fun characters to play with.