By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Peter Dille: it won't be long before PS3 outpaces Xbox 360 in global sales

badgenome said:

IGN: And what would you say is your biggest failure?

Peter Dille: Well, it's not a failure in that it was fatal, but it's well-documented that we didn't have as smooth a launch as we would have liked to. I think we primed the pump with a lot of interest in the platform. People can point to the ads and whatnot. We talked about that. I think the shortcoming was getting a lot of people whipped up and having them wait in line and then only having a very, very limited amount of hardware supply globally, which meant that we had a kind of start and stop effect with our launch, which is hard to recover from. It was a speed bump that we had to overcome and we overcame it.

Yeah, the problem with the PS3 launch was scarcity of hardware. Oh, Sony...

That's classic, it's almost as if this never happened....

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2007/2/12/

VGChartz

Around the Network
jneul said:
scottie said:
jneul said:
scottie said:
Joel12345 said:
I think it will happen you just going to have to wait a bit since it'll take ps3 about a year to catch up.I also think that the ps3 is doing really well being that high since it was overpriced (600$ come on launch price)the ps3 slim is seeing great number IMO

I couldn't disagree more. 8 million difference in total sales, 40k difference in weekly sales means 200 weeks until the PS3 catches up the 360 if all stays as it is, but obviously the PS3 will not be selling numbers worth tracking in 200 weeks time, and if the patterns of this generation repeat the 360 is going to have a price cut in September and start outselling the PS3 again, and then it will be the PS3's turn to be domed.

the gap is not 8 million!!! people irritate me so much, the 39 million figure is the amount of x360's made, there are only 37 million sold, which means the gamp is nearly 6 million at the moment. vgchartz only just updated their figures, you should know that is is more accurate right now, and tmmorrow ps3 data will be more accurate hopefully.

Sorry to irritate you through my laziness, I am aware that the gap is not 8 million but I couldn't be bothered going to the homepage to check exactly what the gap was (Im not on my own computer and it's really slow) At a gap of 6 million, it will still take 150 weeks at current weekly sales. Being as I am predicting that the 360 will start to outsell the PS3 again in September, I hardly think those 50 weeks matter.

sorry i am just upset from some silly comments made here thinking ps3 won't keep on selling well after this year. it already says in the thread that the silly sony exec was using sold ps3 amounts to shipped x360's, that is where all this silly 8 million gap theory is coming from, we all know ps3 sold 3m+ in december so it is impossible for it to ship less than at least 33m the prediction was for 35m shipped ps3's so those ps3 sales may yet get adjusted up, not down.

who said that?

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

IGN: So you do think that PS3 will overtake Xbox 360 in sales at some point, then?

Peter Dille: Yeah, we do. I'm confident we'll be around in 10 years and I can say that because we've done it twice. PS3 will be around in 10 years and probably much longer than that. I have my own opinion, but I'll ask you the question. Do you think the 360 will be around in 10 years?

It's a bleak future for PS fans... the 10 year plan is now a 15 year plan.... we'll send you post cards from our nuclear powered 10 THrz consoles with RainbowRay disks when you're still playing the PS3...

OoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoO

There's logic behind everything that quote says imo.  The only question is what time frame does, "not too long," mean?

DirtyP2002 said:
jneul said:
scottie said:
jneul said:
scottie said:
Joel12345 said:
I think it will happen you just going to have to wait a bit since it'll take ps3 about a year to catch up.I also think that the ps3 is doing really well being that high since it was overpriced (600$ come on launch price)the ps3 slim is seeing great number IMO

I couldn't disagree more. 8 million difference in total sales, 40k difference in weekly sales means 200 weeks until the PS3 catches up the 360 if all stays as it is, but obviously the PS3 will not be selling numbers worth tracking in 200 weeks time, and if the patterns of this generation repeat the 360 is going to have a price cut in September and start outselling the PS3 again, and then it will be the PS3's turn to be domed.

the gap is not 8 million!!! people irritate me so much, the 39 million figure is the amount of x360's made, there are only 37 million sold, which means the gamp is nearly 6 million at the moment. vgchartz only just updated their figures, you should know that is is more accurate right now, and tmmorrow ps3 data will be more accurate hopefully.

Sorry to irritate you through my laziness, I am aware that the gap is not 8 million but I couldn't be bothered going to the homepage to check exactly what the gap was (Im not on my own computer and it's really slow) At a gap of 6 million, it will still take 150 weeks at current weekly sales. Being as I am predicting that the 360 will start to outsell the PS3 again in September, I hardly think those 50 weeks matter.

sorry i am just upset from some silly comments made here thinking ps3 won't keep on selling well after this year. it already says in the thread that the silly sony exec was using sold ps3 amounts to shipped x360's, that is where all this silly 8 million gap theory is coming from, we all know ps3 sold 3m+ in december so it is impossible for it to ship less than at least 33m the prediction was for 35m shipped ps3's so those ps3 sales may yet get adjusted up, not down.

who said that?

it was implied not said.

it's the future of handheld

PS VITA = LIFE

The official Vita thread http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=130023&page=1

Around the Network
jneul said:
scottie said:
jneul said:
scottie said:
Joel12345 said:

I never said the PS3 wouldn't sell well 'after this year' It'll sell fine in 2011 for sure. But 200 weeks takes us to 2014, and 150 weeks to 2013. I doubt the PS3 will still be selling heaps then

scottie said:
jneul said:
scottie said:
jneul said:
scottie said:
Joel12345 said:

I never said the PS3 wouldn't sell well 'after this year' It'll sell fine in 2011 for sure. But 200 weeks takes us to 2014, and 150 weeks to 2013. I doubt the PS3 will still be selling heaps then

lol i was not having a go at you that time, i was apologising, let's forget it, i obviously overeacted and said some silly things

it's the future of handheld

PS VITA = LIFE

The official Vita thread http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=130023&page=1

Well the market seems to be settling and the difference looks like it will be back to its 30-40K a week fairly soon.

I'm willing to guess at an average of 40 K per week over the year advantage for PS3

This would translate to a catchup per year of 2 million units so it will take PS3 nearly three years to surpass the 360.

This of course assumes all things remain the same. This we know will change with the release of Natal and Sony Wand.

Also in 3 years I really doubt this gen will still be current as at least one of the nex gen consoles will be here by 2013.

The new gen machines usually launch at 6 year intervals so early 2012 is my guess.

Xoj said:

lulz microsoft and nintendo arent arrogant xO.

it's PR, i heard microsoft and nintendo said worse, though this is just his opinion, and it's true that even with year headstart ps3 isn't trailing much behind.

but it was microsoft rushing that got them into RROD.

and nintendo wasn't much angel either SNES and n64 era.

that's ignore PR, when the console speaks for itself, the work 180,000 employees.

In the context that all launch consoles from either company are doomed then RROD doesn't look as bad.

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1388522&postcount=137

I think the best way to get a feel for the console failure rate is at dev studios actually ... PS3's broke rarely early on (the test kits that look like retail PS3's), but they have continued to break at a relatively steady rate to where given enough time eventually they all broke (the early models). As far as I could tell, all launch models of both machines are doomed to eventual failure, it just takes PS3's much longer before failure. I presume this has all been fixed now since anytime there were kit failures at the last place I was at they were usually older models.

On topic:

It really depends on the motivations of the different participants as much as their abilities. If Microsoft values the PR/Marketing advantage of coming into the next generation from second place once again more than any profit they would forgo in the short term then they will be more aggressive in terms of pricing.

Its really quite simple mathematics. They are trending towards 1B/Y profit for this and future financial years in the EDD. If they need 12M/Y consoles to stay in the lead, they can cut the price/increase costs by between $50-$100 per console in order to do so. Its extremely likely they could cut the price down to say $169/$249 and bundle Natal at the same time. If you take say $169 + Natal @ $40 (cost) and assume thats the only SKU then strictly on hardware costs alone assuming no further reduction in hardware cost they would still be marginally profitable as a division over 12M consoles sold.

Do you know what its like to live on the far side of Uranus?

The sales gap has grown from 6 million when the PS3 launched three years ago to an 8 million lead. Assuming the 31 million and 39 million are both sold numbers. But they could be shipped numbers, not sold. Sony and Microsoft count shipped as sold. Shipped units have been sold to retailers. Whether the retailers sell them all or not does not really matter.