By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony on 3rd party exclusivity

its funny that Sony are always hypocrites when it comes to this thing, and people should "Suck it up bitch! " when it comes to MS doing it. what bullcrap.

I live for the burn...and the sting of pleasure...
I live for the sword, the steel, and the gun...

- Wasteland - The Mission.

Around the Network

Why would sony bother to buy exclusive rights last gen? Ps/Ps2 had the largest install base, any company with the right mind would make their game for PS/PS2 unless they were targeting a specific audience. This gen has more multiplat because Xbox and PS3 have similar core architecture, which allow companies to create engines that have "Make Xbox game" and "Make Ps3 game" functions.

Building Multiplat games is so easy that exclusive rights price tags are heavy, I seriously doubt Microsoft or Sony would buy them often these days. Exclusives this gen happens when the developer is owned by Microsoft or Sony or if the developers have something to prove (Gears, UC2, MGS4).

i agree third-party companies (capcom, kanomi, ea, activision etc.) are all for multiplatform and the money. they will agree to time exclusivity if the money is thrown there way but in the long run already have it set in their mind that, that game will be multiplatform. its better that sony invest in first party companies than third-party. those are what sell systems anyways, so sony needs to make sure their companies are well funded and their games are top quality. MS can pay all the money they want eventually that game will make its way over to the ps3 with more content usually. now most of you are asking well isnt that sony paying for the extra content? the answer is no. companies know people arent going to by the exact same game that was out for months to years over again so in order to attract them back they add content on their own will for the ps3. it really isnt a smart strategic move MS is gambling on. in my opinion MS will see that dropping money for time exclusives arent paying off and in fact is limiting them in content and will eventually stop doing that

Sony does it all the time, they just haven't done it as much recently. I'd say all the publishers do it. Nintendo even did it with RE4 for GameCube. But in all fairness I think the main purpatraitors of buying exclusives has to go in this order.

1.Sony

2.Microsoft

3.Nintendo

Yes Microsoft has done it alittle bit lately but anybody remember Final Fantasy back when Sony signed them up to make FF games exclusively for Sony products. I remember they had to find a way around that to release CrystalChronicles on the GameCube. It was a big issue that Sony had paid Square off. Then theirs all of the exclusives Sony gets on a regular basis for pay offs.Anybody hear about Arkham Asylum? Sony does it far more then even Microsoft and Microsoft is getting really good at it these days.

I think Sony would have purchased the exclusive rights to GTA's DLC if Microsoft hadn't paid so much. I can't remember how much Microsoft paid but I think it was around like 50-mill wasn't it. Sony could develope 3 big budget games for that price it was no longer feasable to buy the exclusive rights.

I think this statement just goes to show you how much Sony and Microsoft rely on third parties to sell their hardware when compaired with first party Nintendo who pretty much doesn't even need or care for exclusives. Nintendo can sell its hardware off first party software alone while Microsoft and Sony have to fight tooth and nail to get each others exclusives!

-JC7

"In God We Trust - In Games We Play " - Joel Reimer

kowenicki said:
what is different in

a) buying a studio, nailing down exclusivity to all their titles and overseeing working practices?

b) paying for "exclusivity" to a 3rd party?

BOTH involve "moneyhatting"... one involves control freakery....

And like I said in the other thread...buying studios is the ultimate moneyhatting move, imho....which sony did ALOT of in it's heyday, now they want to whine about it.  Look at the strong arming tactics they applied to Japanese developers to secure exclusivity, or put them at risk for NOT being able to develop for their console...complete dick move...please Sony, enough with the sad songs.

"...You can't kill ideas with a sword, and you can't sink belief structures with a broadside. You defeat them by making them change..."

- From By Schism Rent Asunder

Around the Network
kowenicki said:
what is different in

a) buying a studio, nailing down exclusivity to all their titles and overseeing working practices?

b) paying for "exclusivity" to a 3rd party?

BOTH involve "moneyhatting"... one involves control freakery....

a) Sony  bought studios that they've develops close working relationships over years.  Naghty Dog was independant during the PS1 era and wasn't bought until halfway through the PS2 life.  Most of their studios were aquired that way.  Microsoft just shows up to someone elses camp and says "mine!"  Buying %60 of Rare of it's original owners more or less forced Nintendo to sell their %40 share.  Microsoft is the kid at the science fair who sees your project and forces you to sell your project in order to win the science fair.  That's dirty.

b) Again, Microsoft shows up out of nowhere.  Look at Tekken, Devil May Cry etc.  They could start their own 3rd party IP with a 3rd party or they could take someone else's.  They took a shit load of stuff that 3rd parties had been developing with Sony and they weren't finished, they forced Nintendo to give them Rare(see above). 

Joelcool7 said:

Yes Microsoft has done it alittle bit lately but anybody remember Final Fantasy back when Sony signed them up to make FF games exclusively for Sony products. I remember they had to find a way around that to release CrystalChronicles on the GameCube. It was a big issue that Sony had paid Square off. Then theirs all of the exclusives Sony gets on a regular basis for pay offs.Anybody hear about Arkham Asylum? Sony does it far more then even Microsoft and Microsoft is getting really good at it these days.

I think Sony would have purchased the exclusive rights to GTA's DLC if Microsoft hadn't paid so much. I can't remember how much Microsoft paid but I think it was around like 50-mill wasn't it. Sony could develope 3 big budget games for that price it was no longer feasable to buy the exclusive rights.

I think this statement just goes to show you how much Sony and Microsoft rely on third parties to sell their hardware when compaired with first party Nintendo who pretty much doesn't even need or care for exclusives. Nintendo can sell its hardware off first party software alone while Microsoft and Sony have to fight tooth and nail to get each others exclusives!

Final Fantasy started development on the N64 but it was using technology that was a generation old (like the 360 is now) and the game wouldn't fit on cartridges so they switched to the PS1.  MS fanboys like to lie and say Sony bribed them because they're ashamed that MS is the king of the very low practice of bribery as opposed to actual "competition".  I know with 50 million you could develop 3 games...so why doesn't MS do it???  ...my main point, they'd rather bribe than actually create and compete.  Not even a complete game, 2 episodes...but bribing is such a high priority to them so they did it.

heruamon said:

And like I said in the other thread...buying studios is the ultimate moneyhatting move, imho....which sony did ALOT of in it's heyday, now they want to whine about it.  Look at the strong arming tactics they applied to Japanese developers to secure exclusivity, or put them at risk for NOT being able to develop for their console...complete dick move...please Sony, enough with the sad songs.

How do you get off comparing the aquisition of a company that Sony has worked closely for years to Microsoft showing up with a company they have no affiliation with (Rare) and buying %60 of the main owners and putting Nintendo in a minority ownership situation, therefore forcing it to sell Rare???  You are comparing spitting on the sidewalk with murder.  I know it's shameful what Microsoft has been doing in the gaming industry, but I don't understand why you are trying to cover for them.

You'd be pissed if Nintendo showed up, bribed Epic and Bungie and told them they can't develop for the 360 anymore.

EdStation3 said:
Joelcool7 said:

Final Fantasy started development on the N64 but it was using technology that was a generation old (like the 360 is now) and the game wouldn't fit on cartridges so they switched to the PS1.  MS fanboys like to lie and say Sony bribed them because they're ashamed that MS is the king of the very low practice of bribery as opposed to actual "competition".  I know with 50 million you could develop 3 games...so why doesn't MS do it???  ...my main point, they'd rather bribe than actually create and compete.  Not even a complete game, 2 episodes...but bribing is such a high priority to them so they did it.

lol, no.  Sony got FF (and Square) by offering a sweetheart western publishing and advertising deal.  ROM cost concerns were an issue with N64 (though that would've been somewhat mitigated with the 64DD, which is what Zelda and Dragon Quest were originally planned to use), but Sony actually actively courted them and with HUGE sums.  FFVII's US ad campaign alone was muli-millions and basically unheard of in gaming at the time.  If Square had just wanted to go to the leading CD-ROM format at the time, FFVII would've been a Saturn game...

Sony practically invented 3rd party "moneyhatting" in the games space.  Not it's come to bite them in the ass.  Karma.

Seece said:
makingmusic476 said:
Seece said:
Hypocrit, it's exactly the same, except Sony give the money before hand rather than after.

It's not the same at all.  Sony had a critical role in the development of titles like LBP.  They paid for development and had their own producers and developers working on the game.  Sony Cambridge and other studios assisted Media Molecule significantly with engine technology and Phil Harrison himself pushed the studio in the direction of user generated content.  Similarly, Sony Japan had a helping hand in the creation of Demon's Souls, from improving From Software's engine to SCEJ producers directly molding the shape of the game.  Without SCE's money and people, these games would not be what they are.

This method of pursuing exclusive titles fosters creativity and development, unlike merely buying exlcusivity with a check, which does nothing more than make a formerly multiplat game exclusive for a few months.  One method puts new and better titles in the hands of gamers, while the other takes them away.  Or keeps them away for a few months.

If you're going to call them hypocrites, do it for something like Ghostbusters or the Joker challenge maps in Batman.  It's a dick move tossing around a few bucks just to keep people from having access to those.

Just a way of sugar coating it, The game's Microsoft shell out for don't need help, they're capable of making the game without Microsoft's team.

So basically

Sony helps dev's that can't make a brilliant game by putting money and people into it, and Microsoft help those that can make a decent game by putting ... just money into it.

When late down the road they all end up on PS3 anyway, The PS3 exclusives however don't. So they're the ones denieing them access.

man you are annoying.