By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - IGN: Best Games of 2000 - 2009

http://www.ign.com/decade/

Best Games and Movies of 2000 - 2009

So it's a new decade, eh?

It's 2010 now, baby, and the past 10 years have given us a wide variety of memorable cinematic and gaming moments: exploding Halo rings, the killing of Bill, a war against the gods and the history of violence. In the theater we saw the best superhero movies of all time. On the couch we played the greatest shooters ever created.

Yeah, there've been plenty of choice movies and games released since the year 2000 launched us into the new millennium. And the IGN team has been working for months (actually weeks... well, really days) to compile this list of the greatest movies and games of the decade. We started with the 10 best films and games of each year, as you'll see, and then took the resulting 10 number ones and ranked them to determine the best game and movie of the past decade.

Enjoy disagreeing with all of our picks!

• Overall
----------------------------------------------
Here are the results:

10. Perfect Dark

Publisher: Nintendo

Developer: Rare

Platform: N64

Rare ended its Nintendo 64 run with a huge bang with its original IP follow-up to its critically acclaimed GoldenEye first-person shooter. The development team took everything it learned from its movie tie-in and created a new FPS experience in a futuristic setting, building up a fantastic single and multiplayer experience as a final hurrah for N64 owners. And it's the only game where you can shoot Matt Casamassina in the face, so there's that, too. More

9. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask

Publisher: Nintendo

Developer: Nintendo EAD

Platform: N64

What was created for The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time was used as a foundation for an incredibly creative storyline. The game put Link in a crazy and fantastical adventure that featured both character transformation and time travel. As wild as the situations were in this epic experience, the weird and wonderful story and the challenging puzzles combined to make something truly extraordinary. It's hard not to see this game as one of the best Zelda games ever produced. More

8. Chu Chu Rocket!

Publisher: SEGA

Developer: Sonic Team

Platform: Dreamcast

ChuChu Rocket doesn't make the list because it's the greatest puzzle game - though there's no doubting that Sonic Team's multiplayer game of cat and mouse is a good one, and it's certainly one of the most frantic. Being the first major online game available on a home console, its real legacy is the new age of gaming that it ushered in. More

7. Diablo II

Publisher: Blizzard Entertainment

Developer: Blizzard Entertainment

Platform: PC

There is no better game about the simple addictiveness of hoarding stuff than Bizzard's Diablo II. That gimme-gimme mechanic was bolstered to the extreme by online play, which also popularized PvP play. After ten long years, Blizzard is finally poised to release Diablo III, which is sure to please with more of those sweet, sweet loot drops. More

6. Baldur's Gate II

Publisher: Interplay

Developer: BioWare

Baldur's Gate II was a nerd's wet dream - a 200 hour fantasy joygasm that took place in a compelling world filled with fantastic characters, and powered by great mechanics and incredible customisation. AD&D RPGs truly reached a new level with this title, and some would say it has never been bettered. More

5. Marvel vs. Capcom 2

Publisher: Capcom

Developer: Capcom Production Studio 1

Platform: Dreamcast

With the near simultaneous release of Marvel vs. Capcom 2 in arcades and on Dreamcast in 2000, Western arcades, the forgotten centers of competitive gaming, resurged, if only for a couple of years. Marvel 2's team-based strategies and creative combos keep the game exciting and relevant ten years later. The game still gets international tournament play. More

4. The Sims

Publisher: Electronic Arts

Developer: Maxis

Few games in the PC catalog have had as much mainstream appeal as The Sims. And while that may invite derision from the hardcore crowd, there's no denying the spectacular popularity of Maxis's life simulator. Giving players a chance to tinker with the day to day lives of ordinary people was the ultimate power trip. More

3. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2

Publisher: Activision

Developer: Neversoft Entertainment

Platform: PSX

Many consider Tony Hawk 2 to be the best entry to the series, and it isn't tough to understand why. Expanding on the mechanics of the first game and adding in a revolutionary park editor into the mix, Hawk 2 pushed the series to a whole new level without needing to include street racing, billion point combos, open world skating, or Bam Margera's fat ass Uncle Vito. More

2. Deus Ex

Publisher: Eidos Interactive

Developer: Ion Storm

Many developers are still fumbling with the concept of the "do everything" shooter. Giving players multiple options on how they approach a level can water it down and even detract from the importance of your actions. That's why it's amazing to think that Deus Ex got so much right way back in 2000. At the time, it was a revelation. An indefinable experience that bordered on role playing. More

1. Counter-Strike

Publisher: Sierra Studios

Developer: Valve

It's still one of the best online shooters around. Though other games have passed it by in terms of graphics and the range of options, few have even come close to capturing the near-perfect pacing and balance of this online FPS. Ten years later, people are still playing this one. More

Around the Network

5/10 for PC. That is interesting.

Ah win by Counter Strike definitely well-deserved. I would have Majora's Mask, though, much higher.

uh oh... this won't end well... not even i like there picks for 2000...

they just love riling people up to get hits eh?

Yawn....IGN can't come up with anything but these kinds of things to stir up controversy to generate page hits now. Pretty soon its going ot be 'Best games ever made' and 'best games this month' and 'best games of the quarter'.

Six upcoming games you should look into:

Around the Network

Oh no, IGN only makes list now to generate hits. It's like stating the incredibly obvious.

Where is Jet Set Raido and Shenmue?

No offence to Majoras Mask, chu chu rocket or tony hawks skater 2 but these 2 games should not be on this list. No Chu Chu rocket isn't the first console online game. i played Sega Raly versus people with my sega saturn on dedicated servers in 1997.

Chu Chu rocket? First console online? Come on now. The list could be better, but its not terrible.

ǝןdɯıs ʇı dǝǝʞ oʇ ǝʞıן ı ʍouʞ noʎ 

Ask me about being an elitist jerk

Time for hype

I think all of their pics are deserving. Manjoras Mask was definitely a great game, even though many people complained about the time system saying "It's too different for me!". I really need to play Perfect Dark and finish Manjora's Mask. I have the feeling I will be saying that a lot with the next entries.

As for the PC getting so many pics, I guess it was just a good year for PC gaming. Too bad I don't have a list of year 2000 games to compare the list to. Hold on: [pulls up list]

Here is a list of games released in 2000:
January 31 - The Sims (PC)
February 3 - Resident Evil Code: Veronica (Japan) (DC)
February 10 - Vagrant Story (Japan) (PS1)
February 29 - Resident Evil Code: Veronica (DC)
March 21 - Thief II: The Metal Age
March 24 - Need for Speed: Porsche Unleashed
March 27 - Soldier of Fortune (PC)
April 24 - EverQuest: The Ruins of Kunark (PC)
May 22 - Perfect Dark (N64)
June 1 - Evolva (PC)
June 11 - Legend of Dragoon (PS1)
June 13 - Shogun: Total War (PC)
June 25 - Deus Ex (PC)
June 29 - Diablo II (PC)
June 29 - Icewind Dale (PC)
June 30 - Homeworld: Cataclysm (PC)
July 7 - Final Fantasy IX (Japan) (PS1)
August 2 - Heavy Metal: F.A.K.K.² (PC)
August 16 - Chrono Cross (PS1)
August 24 - Age of Empires II: The Conquerors Expansion (PC)
August 26 - Dragon Quest VII (Japan) (PS1)
August 27 - The Sims: Livin' Large (PC)
September 14 - Star Trek: Voyager - Elite Force (PC)
September 19 - Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 (PS1)
September 24 - Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn (PC)
September 30 - RollerCoaster Tycoon: Loopy Landscapes (PC)
October 6 - American McGee's Alice (PC)
October 15 - Pokémon Gold and Silver (Game Boy Color)
October 21 - Command & Conquer: Red Alert 2 (PC)
October 25 - Dead or Alive 2: Hardcore (PS2)
October 25 - Midnight Club: Street Racing (PS2)
October 26 - The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask (N64)
October 26 - Tekken Tag Tournament (PS2)
November 8 - Counter-Strike (PC retail version)
November 8 - Escape from Monkey Island (PC)
November 9 - The Operative: No One Lives Forever (PC)
November 13 - Kessen (PS2)
November 13 - Skies of Arcadia (DC)
November 14 - Final Fantasy IX (North America) (PS1)
November 16 - Sacrifice (PC)
November 16 - The Longest Journey (North America) (PC)
November 20 - Banjo Tooie (N64)
November 23 - MechWarrior 4: Vengeance (PC)
December 4 - EverQuest: The Scars of Velious (PC)
December 6 - Grandia II (DC)
December 7 - Giants: Citizen Kabuto (PC)

I guess Shogun: Total War, Banjo Tooie, Skies of Arcadia, Tekken Tag, Star Trek Voyager: Elite Force, Legend of Dragoon and Thief II could be considered for top 10.

wow that list sent me down memory lane. The sims alone stole at least 6 months of my life back in 2000.
Thanks for posting this ^_^

I am the black sheep     "of course I'm crazy, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong."-Robert Anton Wilson