By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Is Microsoft Game Studios just lazy or what?

Xoj said:
heruamon said:
Xoj said:
well microsoft at the middle of this race decided to kick all their studios.
with the focus on natal, don't expect many first party games from them.

epic being third party and bungie free, and bioware part of EA, many of the games will end up multiplatform.

Why do you need an internal studio to make games?  What's wrong with working with a third party to get your IP made? 

that if they dont' own the games, in the end they will end up multiplatform.

tons of JRPG jumped over, even ones published by microsoft, and games like ninja gaiden 2.

i was planning to buy a 360 but then all jrpg jumped over, completely destroying a reason to get one.

and not a single game, every single game i wanted jumped over.

If you like jrpgs, some games to look into to (I can`t personally comment on the quality of each as I haven`t played all of them and not much of a console jrpg gamer anymore): Lost Odyssey, Blue Dragon, Infinite Undiscovery, Tales of Vesperia (if you don`t understand Japanese, the 360 is the only option for you) Magna Carta II, The Last Remnant, Ninety-Nine Nights I + II (II coming March 17th), Kingdom Under Fire: Circle of Doom, Operation Darkness, Spectral Force 3, Zoids Assault. Might be missing some too.

If the current lineup doesn`t intrigue you, keep an eye out for more details in the future regarding the announced Feel+ exclusive jrpg and Mistwalker`s next project announcement coming this spring (if it`s Lost Odyssey 2 or Blue Dragon 2, it`ll be 360 exclusive since MS owns Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon. I wouldn`t be surprised if Mistwalker made a 360 exclusive new IP for MS as well. Install base isn`t everything. Mistwalker appeals to more hardcore jrpg gamers and the more hardcore jrpg gamers probably already did get a 360 (even if they already own a DS, PSP, PS3, Wii, PS2, whatever). Looking at this forum, while many are Playstation brand diehards here, a good number of them do own a 360 and like 360 jrpg exclusives (because if there were none, they'd be rightfully pissed off given they prefer stuff like FF13 on Playstation anyway) Lost Odyssey was successful at 800k+ world wide, 700k of which was from the west so Mistwalker have carved themselves a nice big niche among the Xbox 360 jrpg-playing community. It`s hard to sell over 700k+ in the west so it`s an achievement. The poseurs who say `yeah I love jrpgs` but play nothing but Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts and other stuff with Square-Enix on the box don`t count. If you want to sell over 700k, you need to persuade those poseurs. Dark Cloud is the only non-Square Enix PS2 jrpg (and it`s a hack n slash action rpg to boot, very different from a traditional jrpg) to hit 700k+ in the west. It ain`t easy.

Around the Network
Recon1O1 said:
Lazy if you want but most of MS recent decisions seem to have limited their potential losses in an industry that is having serious issues with profitability. EA are reeling their way to another multi-billion dollar loss this fiscal year despite owning many of the brightest lights in their genres. The list of failed developers for 2009 is shocking and financial and job losses staggering.

See noname2200's - 2009 Game Studio Body Count Thread (from Penny arcade) or
" - 11,500 job losses since late 2008, (from M2 Research figures)

Hindsight is 20/20 but after the initial expenditure of 4B or so to prevent Sony from taking over your living room and relegating PC's to the office in the basement. MS have played the game fairly conservatively.

While they may be perceived as backing the failed HD tech. they actually never built HI Def in the box and limited their losses there. The 360 itself is a more traditional take on systems design that required less adaptation from studios working on PC or last gen. consoles.

The lack of 1st party studios may mean less profit than with Nintendo's huge 1st party IPs but it also limits their losses in the far more expensive and risky business of HD game development.

To prev. posters who claim Sony is benefitting this assumes the JRPG's who were allowed to jump ship are huge moneymakers. Bioshock and Ninja Gaiden are great games but were not huge sellers for MS and their performance on PS3 falls somewhere between decent and dismal.

MS remain in control of their most profitable IPs and add to a consistenly black bottom line with the lions share of the best selling Multi-Plats, all at costs decided on by MS alone.

It's all about risk and rewards...and M$ has taken a very conservative approach to gaming content...now Natal is a HUGE risk, but considering that Wii has already taken the major risk, it's somewhat of a very calculated gamble by M$, rather than a huge bet.  The issue as I see it is that M$ has tons of potential AAA IP, but they are laying dormant and gathering dust.  MGS was re-tool 2 years ago, and if you look at the development cycle of a game...it is about 2-4 years for most projects...and we've seen nothing to date from them. 

"...You can't kill ideas with a sword, and you can't sink belief structures with a broadside. You defeat them by making them change..."

- From By Schism Rent Asunder

loves2splooge said:
Xoj said:
heruamon said:
Xoj said:
well microsoft at the middle of this race decided to kick all their studios.
with the focus on natal, don't expect many first party games from them.

epic being third party and bungie free, and bioware part of EA, many of the games will end up multiplatform.

Why do you need an internal studio to make games?  What's wrong with working with a third party to get your IP made? 

that if they dont' own the games, in the end they will end up multiplatform.

tons of JRPG jumped over, even ones published by microsoft, and games like ninja gaiden 2.

i was planning to buy a 360 but then all jrpg jumped over, completely destroying a reason to get one.

and not a single game, every single game i wanted jumped over.

If you like jrpgs, some games to look into to (I can`t personally comment on the quality of each as I haven`t played all of them and not much of a console jrpg gamer anymore): Lost Odyssey, Blue Dragon, Infinite Undiscovery, Tales of Vesperia (if you don`t understand Japanese, the 360 is the only option for you) Magna Carta II, The Last Remnant, Ninety-Nine Nights I + II (II coming March 17th), Kingdom Under Fire: Circle of Doom, Operation Darkness, Spectral Force 3, Zoids Assault. Might be missing some too.

If the current lineup doesn`t intrigue you, keep an eye out for more details in the future regarding the announced Feel+ exclusive jrpg and Mistwalker`s next project announcement coming this spring (if it`s Lost Odyssey 2 or Blue Dragon 2, it`ll be 360 exclusive since MS owns Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon. I wouldn`t be surprised if Mistwalker made a 360 exclusive new IP for MS as well. Install base isn`t everything. Mistwalker appeals to more hardcore jrpg gamers and the more hardcore jrpg gamers probably already did get a 360 (even if they already own a DS, PSP, PS3, Wii, PS2, whatever). Looking at this forum, while many are Playstation brand diehards here, a good number of them do own a 360 and like 360 jrpg exclusives (because if there were none, they'd be rightfully pissed off given they prefer stuff like FF13 on Playstation anyway) Lost Odyssey was successful at 800k+ world wide, 700k of which was from the west so Mistwalker have carved themselves a nice big niche among the Xbox 360 jrpg-playing community. It`s hard to sell over 700k+ in the west so it`s an achievement. The poseurs who say `yeah I love jrpgs` but play nothing but Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts and other stuff with Square-Enix on the box don`t count. If you want to sell over 700k, you need to persuade those poseurs. Dark Cloud is the only non-Square Enix PS2 jrpg (and it`s a hack n slash action rpg to boot, very different from a traditional jrpg) to hit 700k+ in the west. It ain`t easy.

i know those games, the ones i were ported, played last remant on pc.

smith and tinker now have the rights to both mechwarrior and shadowrun. smith and tinker is also owned(in part?)by jordan weisman who had a hand in developing the rpg. weisman stated he wants to do a proper console shadowrun rpg but refuses to do so until the fps has left public memory.

Maelstrome said:
smith and tinker now have the rights to both mechwarrior and shadowrun. smith and tinker is also owned(in part?)by jordan weisman who had a hand in developing the rpg. weisman stated he wants to do a proper console shadowrun rpg but refuses to do so until the fps has left public memory.

He has an agreement with M$ to work on content..he doesn't own the rights...M$ still owns them lock-stock-and barrel.  I assume he's working on the Mechwarrior title for the 360/PC, but ultimately, M$ can push for a RPG in Shadowrun if they wanted to.

"...You can't kill ideas with a sword, and you can't sink belief structures with a broadside. You defeat them by making them change..."

Around the Network

Just because Ms has the money doesn't mean they will do it.

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PLAYSTATION 3 : RPG FAN CLUB

Aion said:
Just because Ms has the money doesn't mean they will do it.

Do what?  If you're talking about getting more games made, then that would be a short sighted view of the situation.  Let's look at the situation now, and when the 360 was launched.

If new content takes 3-4 years to develop, the new content we are seeing now, originated in 2006-2007 timeframe...sure some things get fast tracked, but in general, there is that time delay.  In general, the longer a console is on the market, the faster that games and content can be produces, which decreases cost and time to market.  I would say that the development for new content for the 360 is probably in the 2-3 year timeframe at this point.  I think M$ is going to try to use their software savvy to ease the transition from this gen the next.  With the “buffing” of MGS in 2008, I thought we would start to see them get more at the forefront at this point…but I guess not…their website hasn’t been update in about 100 years, and seem to be on an information blackout.

I just want a Rare game that I actually enjoy...instead they have Rare doing Xbox Live Avatar stuff and other things I don't care about. Kameo was the last Rare game I somewhat liked. Microsoft Game Studios should actually develop their own games too, that would be nice.

Odd. Future. Wolf. Gang. Kill. Em. All. OFWGKTA Don't give a fuck!

Fuck Steve Harvey. FREE EARL!

Final Fantasy Versus XIII will be the GREATEST game EVER made!!!

I'd take a bullet for Square-Enix! 

iLLmaticV3 said:
I just want a Rare game that I actually enjoy...instead they have Rare doing Xbox Live Avatar stuff and other things I don't care about. Kameo was the last Rare game I somewhat liked. Microsoft Game Studios should actually develop their own games too, that would be nice.

I don't think MGS has to be a developer, just be able to supervise development efforts...from a cost conscience perspective, M$ can then deliver 2nd party games and secure the exclusivity that it doesn't have when dealing with EA and the likes...ofcourse, M$ would have to fund some of the development of the IP, but it's an investment.

They lack the studios to develop the games.