By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Does buying used hurt developers?

YES it hurts developers they dont get any money on used games. why do you think Gamestop is a billion dollar business they make all the money on used games.

PS3, WII and 360 all great systems depends on what type of console player you are.

Currently playing Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2, Fallout 3, Halo ODST and Dragon Age Origins is next game

Xbox live:mywiferocks

Around the Network
loves2splooge said:

I've seen quite a lot of gamers who kiss up to the developers "oh poor developers, they aren't making enough money! Yes please, take more from our wallet! Stop buying from the resale market! Stop renting games! Stop waiting for the bargain bin! That's an insult to the hardwork of these developers" (yes I've heard the anti-bargain bin one before) Apologists like that are suckers. I am a consumer participating in capitalist society, not a social worker. You think Microsoft, Sony, Nintendo, EA, etc. all became successful corporations by being suckers? No, they achieved success by being ruthless. Game companies feel that they have the right to do whatever in their power to nickel and dime you as much as possible (raising the price to $60, DLC abuse, rehashes like SSFIV, yearly editions of sports games, Guitar Hero, etc. with not much in the way of differences. Now you have companies like Bioware requiring that those with a used copy of ME2 PAY just for the privilege of being able to buy DLC. lol.) You think I have sympathy for them when they pull stunts like that? I took full advantage of the resale market (I only have a couple used current gen games but I bought a lot of brand new sealed copies off people) and I'm doing the gamefly thing now. If game devs don't like that, too bad, so sad. There's no way that the government would be crazy enough to make selling and renting games illegal. You don't see Ford whining about people buying their cars second hand. Ford already got their cut from the first sale. Same goes for the software developers. Why should they be given special rules?

In an era where publishers are like "noo wait, don't ship out the game with full content at $60. Give then an incomplete game and then nickel and dime them for the rest on XBL/PSN marketplace", why should any gamer care so much about having their back?

You make a valid point but the reason the developers are doing the whole DLC thing is so YOU WONT TRADE in your game. If they release DLC a few  months later you wont play it and trade it in withine the first week. you will keep the game to play the upcoming DLC.  Its a viscious game.  I see both sides but try to buy new games whenever possible especially when the used are only $5.00 cheaper

PS3, WII and 360 all great systems depends on what type of console player you are.

Currently playing Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2, Fallout 3, Halo ODST and Dragon Age Origins is next game

Xbox live:mywiferocks

I couldn't care less if the used market affects the developers. You make a game that pulls me in with its hype, I'll buy it day 1. You make a decent game that I want, but don't necessarily need, I'll wait, weeks/months, even a year. I'll wait for big game releases to hit the Bargain Bins if it's not a 1 day purchase for me, and I'm all over ebay to save $$$. A developers job is to make a great game, market it and sell it. A gamers job is to get the best value for THEMSELVES for a game and enjoy a developers work.

Senlis said:

I have heard from many people that the used market does not hurt developers, and this is their explanation.

When a person sells a game to the store, what do they usually use the money for? New games. And it is not like there is an infinite number of used games for the buyer to purchase. I went to a Gamestop recently because I wanted Animal Crossing. I didn't find it used, but I did find it new for a decent price, so I bought it new. Had I found a used copy, I would have probably bought it.

This is a pretty good explanation. While it doesn't give devs a sale it keeps the industry going strong.

Vlad is right to a certain extent. To the developers, a used copy is the same as a pirated one, a copy of their game that someone gets to play for which they get zero compensation

I'm not saying used=piracy from a moral standpoint certainly, but ultimately it's the same to devs and publishers alike

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Around the Network
Mr Khan said:

Vlad is right to a certain extent. To the developers, a used copy is the same as a pirated one, a copy of their game that someone gets to play for which they get zero compensation

I'm not saying used=piracy from a moral standpoint certainly, but ultimately it's the same to devs and publishers alike

Sort of. A used copy is still a physical disk, and can only be distributed to so many people. It's very similar to borrowing from a friend, which also takes away a sale. Whereas one pirated copy can be copied ad nauseum, and depending on the diligence of the pirate, distributed basically infinitely. This CAN lead to catastrophic losses for the developer/publisher, just ask the PSP's software numbers.

so instead of buying used games from gamestop, we can pirate those games and at least give gamestop the middle finger too?

come try out the computer game i've been working on for my high school senior project, titled sling ball. http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=76669&page=1

you can view a few screenshots from the game in my photo album here; http://www.vgchartz.com/photos/album.php?album=2312

yes, this is vonboy's alt account. i can't log into my original account, and i'm not sure if i will ever be able to.

Proud Member of the Official Yoshi Fan Club!.

game x cost 20 million to make (marketing and shipping included), it gets sent through the 360ps3 hype machine, sells millions of copies and brakes even or becomes profitable in mere weeks. A few months later, most of the people who bought game x have beaten it and are ready to move on to hyped game y. Gamestop is running one of their trade in game a and get $20 off game b offers .Alot of the people who bought game x don't wanna or can't afford to spend $60+ on the highly anticipated game y, so they go for the offer. Instead of waiting for new games to go on sale in a few months, thousands of people trade in slightly older games their tired of playing, and add to the millions of copies those new games will undoubtedly sell.

The ultimate "F**K YOU" is going to be coming before long, when gaming switches to a digital distribution format outright. There will be nothing to sell back at that point. So, deal with bargain bins and used games while they still exist, that era is coming to an end soon. If not next gen, definitely the one following that.

The Carnival of Shadows - Folk Punk from Asbury Park, New Jersey

http://www.thecarnivalofshadows.com 

Developers lose money because their unimaginative, stale games serve as little more than a snack for entertainment hungry consumers. If they focused a bit more on innovation and replay value and less on stunning graphics and b-movie quality storylines, people probably wouldn't trade in their games so frequently.