By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - The Truth About 3D On Xbox 360

disolitude said:
You guys want the truth about 3D gaming on 360 and PS3?

The truth - its not going to be worth it.

There will be like 5-10 games that support it, mostly xbox live/PSN games.

Do you really want to spend 2000 dollars on a TV so you could play these 5 games?

If you want proper 3D gaming, get a 3D capable monitor (samsung and viewsonic have a bunch out starting at 249) and spend 1000 dollars on a PC instead. Trust me, you will be laughing at those console owners when they are talking about playing Chu chu rocket in 3D while you are playing Bioshock 2 and Mass Effect 2 in true 1080p stereoscopic 3D.

Wow calm down dis, you should know better than most person here that when a computer simulate a 3D image from a 2D one its far from looking as good as a real 3D media. Hope theres more real 3D media either on computer or console in the future. Unless Mass Effect 2 and bioshock 2 will receive a real 3D port  im not aware of it.

Around the Network
Icyedge said:
disolitude said:

Do you really want to spend 2000 dollars on a TV so you could play these 5 games?

If you want proper 3D gaming, get a 3D capable monitor (samsung and viewsonic have a bunch out starting at 249) and spend 1000 dollars on a PC instead. Trust me, you will be laughing at those console owners when they are talking about playing Chu chu rocket in 3D while you are playing Bioshock 2 and Mass Effect 2 in true 1080p stereoscopic 3D.

Wow calm down dis, you should know better than most person here that when a computer simulate a 3D image from a 2D one its far from looking as good as a real 3D media. Hope theres more real 3D media either on computer or console in the future. Unless Mass Effect 2 and bioshock 2 will receive a real 3D port  im not aware of it.

It usually takes a week after the game is released for Nvidia 3D vision to update the dreivers or have a patch to support it.

Dark Void is already supported...http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=155742&hl=void&st=40

They have not missed a major game as of yet so its a 99% safe bet that Mass Effect 2 and Bioshock 2 will be in 3D before their release week is over.

Same with other 3d drivers on PC like tridef and iz3D. They just may need a driver update or a new driver profile.

Don't get me wrong, I am glad consoles are doing 3D...but it really isn't going to be anything substantial till next gen comes. Nothing worth spending 2000 dollars for to obtain a new TV.

disolitude said:
Icyedge said:
disolitude said:

It usually takes a week after the game is released for Nvidia 3D vision to update the dreivers or have a patch to support it.

Dark Void is already supported...http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=155742&hl=void&st=40

They have not missed a major game as of yet so its a 99% safe bet that Mass Effect 2 and Bioshock 2 will be in 3D before their release week is over.

Same with other 3d drivers on PC like tridef and iz3D. They just may need a driver update or a new driver profile.

Don't get me wrong, I am glad consoles are doing 3D...but it really isn't going to be anything substantial till next gen comes. Nothing worth spending 2000 dollars for to obtain a new TV.

Sorry I didnt know that, but is the drivers or patch looks as good as if the developers of the game would have program it in 3D (like avatar). Ill get a 3D TV anyway since ill replace the old CRT that takes a lot of space. But if it really look as good with Nvidia driver I might install a computer on that TV. Too bad they are not releasing a good 3D Projector at an affordable price (below 5K). The depth Q projector doesnt produce a very good looking image compare to what I have now.

ctalkeb said:
JHawkNH said:
Does anyone know the answer to this question?
I keep hearing about people getting headaches from 30 FPS in games, but nobody complains about getting headaches at a 24 FPS movie. Why is that?

Well, you'll get a headache if those 30 or 24 frames were just thrown out there at that speed, but that isn't what's happening. Rather, a single image is displayed several times making sure that you don't get a "flickery" effect. For 3D though, if you can only display @60 hz, those are divided between your eyes and you'll actually notice that flickering.

I was actually talking about movie theaters where it is 24 frames per second.  Not video signals where 24 fps has been converted to 60 fps.

If lower fps can cause headaches, then 24 fps (or watching a movie at a theater should cause more headaches then a 30 fps video picture.

Icyedge said:
disolitude said:
Icyedge said:
disolitude said:

Sorry I didnt know that, but is the drivers or patch looks as good as if the developers of the game would have program it in 3D (like avatar). Ill get a 3D TV anyway since ill replace the old CRT that takes a lot of space. But if it really look as good with Nvidia driver I might install a computer on that TV. Too bad they are not releasing a good 3D Projector at an affordable price (below 5K). The depth Q projector doesnt produce a very good looking image compare to what I have now.

Yeah, the 3D looks Avatar like amazing 70% of the time, pretty good 20% of the time and not very good 10% of the time.

Nvidia classifies thier games according to how it works with their driver - http://www.nvidia.com/object/3D_Vision_3D_Games.html

Anything that is excellent and good is as good as Avatar if not better. Like REsident Evil 5 looks mindbogglingly good.

Few games don't work very well with their drivers, but they get updated. Like Crysis was classified as "fair" when it came out but they fixed some issues and now the only issues is that the target cross is still in 2D.

Tridef 3D is the same but they support less games...

The only issue with the Nvidia driver is that you need Nvidia videocard (GTX260 or higher), Nvidia glasses (150 each pair) and nvidia base (199 with 1 set of glasses). Costs 2X as much as tridef or IZ3D stuff...but it is better.

Around the Network
JHawkNH said:
ctalkeb said:
JHawkNH said:
Does anyone know the answer to this question?
I keep hearing about people getting headaches from 30 FPS in games, but nobody complains about getting headaches at a 24 FPS movie. Why is that?

Well, you'll get a headache if those 30 or 24 frames were just thrown out there at that speed, but that isn't what's happening. Rather, a single image is displayed several times making sure that you don't get a "flickery" effect. For 3D though, if you can only display @60 hz, those are divided between your eyes and you'll actually notice that flickering.

I was actually talking about movie theaters where it is 24 frames per second.  Not video signals where 24 fps has been converted to 60 fps.

If lower fps can cause headaches, then 24 fps (or watching a movie at a theater should cause more headaches then a 30 fps video picture.

The light in a projector is always on as far as I know, so it shouldn't have the problems of for example a CRT monitor which only lights up each pixel every so often.

It's the same reason why LCDs don't need high refresh rates to make a stable picture, whereas with PC CRTs you needed at least 75 Hz to make it non-flickery enough. LCDs have a backlight, projectors have a front light.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

yeah sure, people say they don't like 3D now. but we'll see how it turns out. =P

don't judge something that you haven't tried at home yet. =]

End of 2010 Predictions (Original Prediction Made: Jan. 1, 2010---Revised April 1, 2010---Revised Again July 1, 2010---Revised Again on Nov. 1, 2010)

PS3: 46 MIL (April Revision: 44 MIL, July Revision 43 MIL, Nov. Revision 45MIL)

360: 44 MIL (April Revision: 46 MIL, July Revision: 48 MIL, Nov. Revision 49MIL)

WII: 82 MIL (Apr. Revision: 84 MIL, Jul. Revision: 82 MIL, Nov. Revision: 82MIL)

THE MUST BUY LIST of 2010: Gran Turismo 5

THE BOUGHT LIST of 2010: White Knight Chrnociles, Heavy Rain, Final Fantasy 13, God of War 3, Modnation Racers, Sports Champions

Theres only a single major title that Sony has which will give them a good implementation of 3D at present. That title is Gran Turismo 5. Currently the game renders at 1280 by 1080 with 2x MSAA so if it can render at 1280 by 720 with 4x MSAA then they can probably also render at 1280 by 1440 to give an effective 1280 by 720 @ 60 FPS 3D. It can also be scaled to 2 or 4 consoles to yield a faster framerate and higher resolution output. People who don't like racing games will not get much benefit from PS3 3D because outside of this one title the games run at 720P and 30FPS which isn't sufficient to really do a good 3D implementation. I believe this is the reason for GT5's delay.

Sony's problem here is the major 3D gaming market is on the PC. Both AMD and Nvidia have or will support even greater levels of 3D like for example 120hz on ALL titles with major legacy and future titles supporting this technology. Its probably not worth it to buy the TV and glasses for just a few good examples.

As far as the Xbox 360 is concerned, if Microsoft were serious about 3D they could update their hardware in a fairly cheap fashion to yield the performance and the HDMI 1.3/4 output they need for serious 3D and they could transform legacy titles into 3D supporting titles as they have tighter control over how developers use their system. Quite frankly all they would need is to double the frame buffer size and give the console about 50% more texture units/stream processors and double the ROPs. Of course this asks whether or not they are serious about 3D and at present this market is small.

Do you know what its like to live on the far side of Uranus?

Dexorosorous said:
yeah sure, people say they don't like 3D now. but we'll see how it turns out. =P

don't judge something that you haven't tried at home yet. =]

err..I may be a minority but I've had 3D at home for 8 months now. Its amazing. lol But on consoles it may not be so hot. 360 (and ps3) jsut can't do 3D on a visual heavy AAA title.

It needs to double the frame rate...so you're left with XBL games and some special titles like Avatar.

disolitude said:
Icyedge said:
disolitude said:
Icyedge said:
disolitude said:

Yeah, the 3D looks Avatar like amazing 70% of the time, pretty good 20% of the time and not very good 10% of the time.

Nvidia classifies thier games according to how it works with their driver - http://www.nvidia.com/object/3D_Vision_3D_Games.html

Anything that is excellent and good is as good as Avatar if not better. Like REsident Evil 5 looks mindbogglingly good.

Few games don't work very well with their drivers, but they get updated. Like Crysis was classified as "fair" when it came out but they fixed some issues and now the only issues is that the target cross is still in 2D.

Tridef 3D is the same but they support less games...

The only issue with the Nvidia driver is that you need Nvidia videocard (GTX260 or higher), Nvidia glasses (150 each pair) and nvidia base (199 with 1 set of glasses). Costs 2X as much as tridef or IZ3D stuff...but it is better.

Oh well then I might install a new computer on that 3DTV, if Sony dont offer enough content, thx for the tip.