By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - MW2 DLC : exclusive to the Xbox360 for ... 1 month !

Yeah that sounds good, it will be sad to see all the other console owners crying over this.

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PLAYSTATION 3 : RPG FAN CLUB

Around the Network
De85 said:
libellule said:
De85 said:
Reasonable said:
starcraft said:
I don't believe for a moment that it was from the goodness of anyone's heart.

But it is equally naive not to understand the true value of the world's largest software company and the holder of the largest two gaming platforms viewing you as a reliable, friendly and preferential partner.

you go on believing that, but let me tell you that you are almost certainly wrong based on my actual experience and knowledge of the retail and electronics industries.

Activision didn't need squat from MS regarding MW2, but MS definately needed something from MW2 - a late boost around November/December plus re-enformcement of the idea in the marketplace it had exclusivity regarding MW2 and was the better console to buy the game for.

Not only did it surely cost MS something to get the DLC, it surely cost them to get the exclusive MW2 bundles.

Here's how it works, simplified.

Activision calculate estimated sales of MW2 on 360 and PS3 based on previous titles/trends and latest info.  They then calculate what they believe would the value of any requested bundles, etc.

Now, if someone want's exclusivity, the standard model is to ask for something equal in value to the potential lost sales from the other options.

So, for Activision to simply give MS exclusive DLC and bundles they would have to either feel they needed to do so to maintain the relationship or that the relative value of (in this case) the PS3 bundles and the DLC on PS3 was zero.

Now, neither is likely.  Acitvision are in fine shape and they don't need to be buddying up to MS for any reason.  Also, I seriosuly doubt an PS3 bundles of MW2 would have added no sales nor do I believe the DLC has no value on PS3 - therefore I am very sure that Activision negotiated both the bundles and the DLC - and took some form of payment or inducement to do so, which would have been at least equal to lost revenue from the PS3 stream.

Not having PS3 bundles for MW2 will have lost Activision some sales November/December.  A 30 day delay will loose them (arguably temporarily) a revenue stream that will be significant.  Why would they do that to remain friendly with MS when they would be in exactly the same (superior) position in the market to MS if they didn't, as well as seeing more revenue into the bargin?

Now, that is what is called a reasoned opinion (or an informed opinion) based on working in retail in US and Europe with most major retailers and suppliers and observing standard models for promotions, exclusive deals and business operation.

Do you have a reasoned opinion of your own, or just a plain opinion clearly based on a console bias?

EDIT: BTW 360 fans, don't read this wrong.  I think this post is borderline troll and I don't post in MS section unless I have something to say that I know isn't biased in any way.  As I pointed out in my original post I can see very good reasons for MS to secure the DLC, and it's their right as a business to do so, I will respond though to something I know is very likely wrong, such as believing Activision simply 'gave' MS this to maintain a business relationship.  It doesn't work like that.  Sure Activision want to have a good relationship with MS, but they can have that and squeeze them for money, and I doubt with the option to have a good relationship and give stuff on goodwill vs have a good relationship and secure additional income Activision would chose the former.

While I agree with the bulk of your post, I wouldn't characterize the sales of maybe a million or two map packs (I think that's pretty generous, but you get my point) at 10 dollars each as very significant compared to the 1B they've already said they made off MW2.  Remember, the sales aren't even likely lost, just delayed as you said.  PS3 owners are not going to switch consoles and game versions just to get it when it releases, they will just wait as any rational human would.  So, in the end I doubt if very many sales will actually be lost, and thus any compensation would have to be comparably small.

nobody is arguing about MS paying a big or a small amount of "cash"µ

the question is simple : did MS paid something to get the bundle + DLC for them ?
the answer is even more simple : yes ...

I know, I'm not arguing it either.  My only point was that since the lost revenue for Activision is so small that the price was probably not very much.  It could have also been some sort of quid pro quo deal not involving cash like MS pays to advertise the game/bundle and in turn gets timed exclusivity on the DLC.

I didn't mean to write that to sound like they were losing millions, as I agree its temporary and probably not much - I suspect Activsion lost more not having PS3 bundles and I'm sure MS had to pay plenty to have exclusivity of MW2 bundles.  I think my own 'marketing' swtich turned on when I wasn't looking at hyped up my comments a little!

Unless MS are mad they won't have paid much for this, and by paid I doubt it was a simple money transaction but probably something around favourable terms for Activision or some other advantage that Activision wanted and equated to monetary terms.

I just find myself strangely annoyed when people either deliberately, or beacuse they don't understand business, make statement's like Starcrafts.  If you see a situation like this, where one company has secured a deal from another, something is involved.  It is never for nothing.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

Reminds me of last gen. The PS2/Xbox would get a game. Then, a month or two later, the Gamecube would get the same game. The Gamecube version would sell like crap and everyone would wonder why that happened. It's because the software was "old news". If anything, the 'Cube should have gotten the game first. Then, they should have released the game on the other two systems.

Same goes for this scenario. Why release it exclusively for the console that's going to sell the most DLC, anyway? It's just going to turn the PS3 users off.

everybody that wanted COD alot has already bought it.... if they have it for ps3 already there not gonna waste like £40 + the price of maps just for a 30 day exclusive lolll. if the game was a timed exclusive on the other hand... that would be worth it.

This is the funniest thing I heard in a while...Reasonable nailed it. Ignore future posts.

Around the Network

people don't care that much about DLC in general, if they did the 360 version of GTA would have sold a lot more.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

PearlJam said:
Lord Flashheart said:
Lets not forget how evil ninty was in the NES days. Sega might be the ones who can claim to be the least evil. They would be saintly if not for their ads in the 90s.

Yeah Nintendo was the most evil VideoGame company in history, which is why I'm glad they got their ass handed to them for a while there. But Sony was prety bad too. I really don't think that MS has been as bad as Sony or Nintendo, which is why I don't understand where all this hate comes from. If the people making some of these ridiculous comments actually knew the history here, they would realize how ignorant they look to people like me that have been gaming since the 80's.

Ninty's humbling was the kick up the arse they needed. Made a fan out of me for them and that's coming from a staunch Sega fan.

Damn! I wish I had gotten MW2 on 360 now. Should have known MS would pay them off.

A Bad Clown said:
I'd actually like to know more about the packs then who gets them first.

Does that really matter?  I mean anyone who plays it regularly is going to buy the map pack no matter what they look like.