By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Why Heavy Rain is a 9/10 game

poroporo said:
Very encouraging score. We're finally getting something different from RPGs and shooters.

More of this needs to be made (and sold).

I agree

Favorite films. Foreign films forever!

Around the Network
LordChris915 said:
fastyxx said:
LordChris915 said:
fastyxx said:
I played through a bit of this at C.E.S. and it was intriguing, but it's certainly not a "game" the way we often think of them. People who didn't know what it is were looking quick and then moving on to the more visceral God of War/MAG/GT5 demos. It's initially frustrating to fool with hands-on, but as I watched another couple demos after my own hands-on, I could see the possibilities. I, as a an avid reader and movie buff, am ready to sink a good deal of time into the game, but I think it will have difficulty grabbing a market.

I will say that screenshots look slightly better than it did in motion - it was a bit clunkier and creepier in action than it appears as a still - that whole uncanny valley thing applies here a bit.

I'm looking forward to the experience, although in some ways I feel like it gets so close to the whole idea of interactive cinema versus a game that I sometimes wonder if a more controlled cinema experience wouldn't be better in some ways.

It's going to take some training of expectations on our part as consumers of this type of "game" or experience to appreciate it. It's downright difficult to sit with a controller in your hands and not want to control things a bit more sometimes.

I'd imagine we'll see a solidly reviewed game - a metacritic in the high 80's - but software that is going to struggle saleswise a bit. I'll be interested in seeing what kind of numbers it puts up.

How to put a negetive spin on something and not look like a fanboy, come out of the closet brother, TESTIFY!!!

While you hardly deserve a response, I will bite because I am bored.

I am sorry I tried to give you a thoughtful, honest reaction to the demo I played.  Next time I will only post the positive attributes in the Sony forum and the negatives in the other places, just so your little tired eyes won't be damaged.

Come off it, You have one console and I have only Sony consoles, but I don't deny I am biasd, now I can respect your personal preference, but what you have written kind of tells me that you never really gave the game a chance, it's not even out yet.

I had no real interest in Halo 3, however I did at least wait until I had played the game before making any judgements, from what you say I get a vibe that since it is on PS3 you are somewhat uninterested, I would have though that as a self proclaimed "Movie Buff" you might have been rather more excited about Heavy Rain, I myself am a student of film and have been giggling like a school girl whenever they release a new trailer.

I don't hold any bad blood against you, I just think that you could miss out on what I am positive will be a game that pushes the outer limits of gaming as we know it!

Yes.  I only have one console.  *rolls eyes*

I have created a whole history of posts for the last twenty-two months on this site, pretending to own multiple consoles (all three at one point) just so I could diss Heavy Rain.  It's an evil conspiacy to take down this one title.  I'm so freaking Dr. Evil.

I actually went through a guided hands-on with the game.  I'm sorry that left me with an opinion.   I will never again let my personal experiecnes cloud my opinion on software.  How silly of me.

Can't we all just get along and play our games in peace?

fastyxx said:
LordChris915 said:
fastyxx said:
LordChris915 said:
fastyxx said:
I played through a bit of this at C.E.S. and it was intriguing, but it's certainly not a "game" the way we often think of them. People who didn't know what it is were looking quick and then moving on to the more visceral God of War/MAG/GT5 demos. It's initially frustrating to fool with hands-on, but as I watched another couple demos after my own hands-on, I could see the possibilities. I, as a an avid reader and movie buff, am ready to sink a good deal of time into the game, but I think it will have difficulty grabbing a market.

I will say that screenshots look slightly better than it did in motion - it was a bit clunkier and creepier in action than it appears as a still - that whole uncanny valley thing applies here a bit.

I'm looking forward to the experience, although in some ways I feel like it gets so close to the whole idea of interactive cinema versus a game that I sometimes wonder if a more controlled cinema experience wouldn't be better in some ways.

It's going to take some training of expectations on our part as consumers of this type of "game" or experience to appreciate it. It's downright difficult to sit with a controller in your hands and not want to control things a bit more sometimes.

I'd imagine we'll see a solidly reviewed game - a metacritic in the high 80's - but software that is going to struggle saleswise a bit. I'll be interested in seeing what kind of numbers it puts up.

How to put a negetive spin on something and not look like a fanboy, come out of the closet brother, TESTIFY!!!

While you hardly deserve a response, I will bite because I am bored.

I am sorry I tried to give you a thoughtful, honest reaction to the demo I played.  Next time I will only post the positive attributes in the Sony forum and the negatives in the other places, just so your little tired eyes won't be damaged.

Come off it, You have one console and I have only Sony consoles, but I don't deny I am biasd, now I can respect your personal preference, but what you have written kind of tells me that you never really gave the game a chance, it's not even out yet.

I had no real interest in Halo 3, however I did at least wait until I had played the game before making any judgements, from what you say I get a vibe that since it is on PS3 you are somewhat uninterested, I would have though that as a self proclaimed "Movie Buff" you might have been rather more excited about Heavy Rain, I myself am a student of film and have been giggling like a school girl whenever they release a new trailer.

I don't hold any bad blood against you, I just think that you could miss out on what I am positive will be a game that pushes the outer limits of gaming as we know it!

Yes.  I only have one console.  *rolls eyes*

I have created a whole history of posts for the last twenty-two months on this site, pretending to own multiple consoles (all three at one point) just so I could diss Heavy Rain.  It's an evil conspiacy to take down this one title.  I'm so freaking Dr. Evil.

I actually went through a guided hands-on with the game.  I'm sorry that left me with an opinion.   I will never again let my personal experiecnes cloud my opinion on software.  How silly of me.

Do you have the game? NO

So you shouldn't have any personal experiences of this game on which to base you opinion.

You say you have played a demo at CES? Thats like drinking milk and deciding it's not for you, then deciding never to eat cheese, cream, butter or chocolate!

I do not think you are giving this game the chance it deserves and I feel sorry for you, in the end you are going to miss out, your gonna end up like one of those guys who saw Shadow of the Colossus and thought.....Nahhh!

Ah, this should be a good gaming exp.

I'm hope that CGI-quality would review this game. It would be cool to hear his opinions
about his most anticipated game xD

Owner of PS1/PSOne , PS2 phat/slim  , PS3 phat/slim , PS Eye+Move and PSP phat/slim/brite/go (Sony)

The Official PS Vita Thread! Get all your latest PS Vita news here! Come join us!

Around the Network
LordChris915 said:

Do you have the game? NO

So you shouldn't have any personal experiences of this game on which to base you opinion.

You say you have played a demo at CES? Thats like drinking milk and deciding it's not for you, then deciding never to eat cheese, cream, butter or chocolate!

I do not think you are giving this game the chance it deserves and I feel sorry for you, in the end you are going to miss out, your gonna end up like one of those guys who saw Shadow of the Colossus and thought.....Nahhh!

You are so strange.

A.  My original post said "I'm looking forward to the experience."  This is from my Amazon pre-order:

Order #: 102-3467759-378xxxxx
Recipient: Dxxxxxxxx

Items not yet shipped:
Delivery estimate: February 26, 2010

You can check my post history for my excitement for Last Guardian. - in response to Shadow of the Colossus. 

Is it really impossible for someone to think Heavy Rain may have some issues to overcome?  I know you don't post here much, but blind fanboyism is boring for most of us to have to read.  Quit looking for reasons to fight.

Can't we all just get along and play our games in peace?

fastyxx said:
LordChris915 said:

Do you have the game? NO

You are so strange.

A.  My original post said "I'm looking forward to the experience."  This is from my Amazon pre-order:

Order #: 102-3467759-378xxxxx
Recipient: Dxxxxxxxx

Items not yet shipped:
Delivery estimate: February 26, 2010

You can check my post history for my excitement for Last Guardian. - in response to Shadow of the Colossus. 

Is it really impossible for someone to think Heavy Rain may have some issues to overcome?  I know you don't post here much, but blind fanboyism is boring for most of us to have to read.  Quit looking for reasons to fight.

It seems I must have missed something but I am glad you are indeed going to get the game, my comment on Shadow of the Colossus was no more than an example of how I feared you could miss out, however to know you have the game on pre-order and that you are not just another 360 fanboy in disguise is a great comfort.

Of late I have encountered a few people who have pretended to be unbiasd in order to hide their quite obvious bias (they even say things like "I am looking forward to the experience"), I am now confident you are not such a person and I appologise, but when you see so many posts that come from blatant fanboys, you tend to be a bit paranoid of things of that nature.

I still think you have made some premature judgements of the game, however I know understand that they are based on some kind logic rather than just mindless fanboyism.

As to myself being a fanboy, I do not deny it, but I like to think I have a little more witt than your average run of the mill fanboy and I am not afraid to say that I envy games on other platforms, namely Mass Effect and Fable.