By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Nvidia GF100: Video-Leak shows real-time ray tracing and more

Soleron said:
And now the counterpoint:

http://www.semiaccurate.com/2010/01/17/nvidia-gf100-takes-280w-and-unmanufacturable/

We'll find out in March who's right.

Well, lets face it, Charlie has unfortunately been right about alot of things recently, but all the rumours recently suggest nVidias A3 spin is getting ~40% Yield (Ie. 40% can be used in 512/448 shader products) but lets face it, Charlie appears to be genetically incapable of saying anything good about nVidia. I just wanna see what happens when GF100 based cards release, what price they are, what price ATi drop to and so on.

"Everything I tell you is a lie. Every question I ask you is a trick. You will find no truth in me."

WraithPriests PC:                
QX6850@3.6GHZ

4GB OCZ Reaper X PC8000
GTX470 (774/1548/3900)    
nForce 780i MoBo
1.25TB HDD (1x1TB, 1x250GB)
A+ El Diablo 2 Case
Vista x64
Around the Network
WraithPriest said:

Well, lets face it, Charlie has unfortunately been right about alot of things recently, but all the rumours recently suggest nVidias A3 spin is getting ~40% Yield (Ie. 40% can be used in 512/448 shader products) but lets face it, Charlie appears to be genetically incapable of saying anything good about nVidia. I just wanna see what happens when GF100 based cards release, what price they are, what price ATi drop to and so on.

I'm aware of Charlie's biases here. I tend to ignore the parts where he says Nvidia will go bankrupt.

If you read his posts on the Semiaccurate forum they are much more reasonable and less sensationalist than his articles, and give some background on each story and why he dislikes Nvidia. He is also consistent in his argument, whereas BSN and Fudzilla and the rest flip-flop between different numbers as the old ones are ruled out. If he is completely wrong then it's a very clever game he's been playing for months and tens of thousands of words written in articles and forum posts.

But yes. We can only determine it for certain when it releases and has clocks, prices, performance figures, release date and power consumption measurements. Charlie has made hard predictions on all four (<=1400MHz, no less than $500 if it is to be profitable, not outright faster than a 5870 with 448 shaders at that clock, March, and more than 50% hotter than a 5870 under load/280W max respectively) , at least we can definitevely say whether he is right after that.

If he is completely right then the haters should go away.

The contrast with the Anandtech Fermi preview is ironic. "Real" news website openly says "We don't know any of those five key figures". SA has an article on the same day giving all five.