By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Halo Reach: Microsoft's Ultimate Blow to Sony

I disagree... Its no ultimate blow unless they have some sort of one, two before the Halo: Reach hit.

Around the Network
KylieDog said:
Anyone who was gonna buy a 360 for Halo would have done it for Halo 3.

Not true.  This fallacious statement especially does not apply to Halo: Reach.

I know tons of people who never bought Halo 3 because they didn't play the first games.  For the first time this generation newcomers to Xbox 360 or Halo can have both without missing out on anything.  Brand new storyline about to begin.

CGI-Quality said:
slowmo said:
So Killzone 2 and Uncharted 2 moving a few extra thousand consoles for a few weeks were system sellers but Halo Reach will not be when it gives a huge boost for a month. I really do despair of the hypocrisy on this site.

It isn't hypocrisy until Reach actually moves consoles. Since I expect a spike myself, you'll probably end up right in the end. It's just not there yet.

Now, as far as it being a blow to Sony, doubt it. Halo will be great, sell great, and the like. But Sony now has a library that isn't to be scoffed at. So, nope, not a "the ultimate blow" to Sony IMO.

CGI is right.

IMO, there isn't an "ultimate blow" for any consoles. Every console has it's own share of great games.

@nightsurge

It didn't happen with Halo 2 or 3, what makes you think it will happen with Reach. It won't.

CGI-Quality said:
slowmo said:
So Killzone 2 and Uncharted 2 moving a few extra thousand consoles for a few weeks were system sellers but Halo Reach will not be when it gives a huge boost for a month. I really do despair of the hypocrisy on this site.

It isn't hypocrisy until Reach actually moves consoles. Since I expect a spike myself, you'll probably end up right in the end. It's just not there yet.

Now, as far as it being a blow to Sony, doubt it. Halo will be great, sell great, and the like. But Sony now has a library that isn't to be scoffed at. So, nope, not a "the ultimate blow" to Sony IMO.

It will spike, its not even up for debate CGI on that front.  I made my feelings quite clear before the release of Uncharted 2 and Killzone 2 that a small spike isn't a real system seller but I was mobbed by Sony fans saying if a game moves one console then it is.  Here we are now less than a year later being told Halo Reach wil not be a system seller, that my friend is hypocrisy of the highest order.

I've not commented on the OP because its utter tosh made up with no facts to hand, the only thing that could be a blow to Sony now is Natal, mainly because it cannot be emulated by Sony unlike software which can easily be matched with the right IP's.

slowmo said:
CGI-Quality said:
slowmo said:

It will spike, its not even up for debate CGI on that front.  I made my feelings quite clear before the release of Uncharted 2 and Killzone 2 that a small spike isn't a real system seller but I was mobbed by Sony fans saying if a game moves one console then it is.  Here we are now less than a year later being told Halo Reach wil not be a system seller, that my friend is hypocrisy of the highest order.

I've not commented on the OP because its utter tosh made up with no facts to hand, the only thing that could be a blow to Sony now is Natal, mainly because it cannot be emulated by Sony unlike software which can easily be matched with the right IP's.

Except Natal could also be emulated by Sony.

A warrior keeps death on the mind from the moment of their first breath to the moment of their last.

Around the Network
Steroid said:
Another FPS isn't the end of anything, it's just "more of the same".

Will it sell? Yes. Will it sell half as many copies as Wii Fit or Nintendogs? No.

People overvalue a single game genre in the area of videogame systems.  Game consoles are NOT just FPS games.  Even if Halo is the king, there are other genres.  All one can see Reach doing is selling well.  But converting even more to the 360, the way Wii Fit did with the Wii?  I don't think so.

dharh said:
slowmo said:
CGI-Quality said:
slowmo said:

Except Natal could also be emulated by Sony.

Not really but continue in denial if you like.

Smashed said:
CGI-Quality said:
slowmo said:

CGI is right.

IMO, there isn't an "ultimate blow" for any consoles. Every console has it's own share of great games.

@nightsurge

It didn't happen with Halo 2 or 3, what makes you think it will happen with Reach. It won't.

Did you read anything I said?  What part of "I know tons of people who never bought Halo 3 because they didn't play the first games.  For the first time this generation newcomers to Xbox 360 or Halo can have both without missing out on anything.  Brand new storyline about to begin" was unclear for you?

And I'm not calling Halo the ultimate blow.  There's no such thing on any console, I'm just arguing against the "Everyone who likes Halo already has a 360" quote.  I also disagree with the article's assumption that Sony has something in the bag to counter Halo: Reach in the sales department.  I don't think they will ever have a shooter that can sell anywhere near Halo or Gears this generation.

irishLAD09 said:
The guy writing this article is obviously an idiot. 'Kratos might just be able to break into one of the many defences of Reach for a bit but by the time we see the sun set on the planet, Kratos and his exploits will be long forgotten'. What is he talking about!!!!!!

He is writing like a fanboy that views game titles as weapons in his little war, rather than piece of entertainment that people enjoy.  For the writer of the article, every top game has to be a game changer, and make a difference in sales and public perception.  If Reach does gangbusters but doesn't shift console sales, then the writer would be disappointed.  And, from this, comes a bashing of Kratos, which would be WAY out of line if you are just evaluating games as entertainment.

Halo is always a system seller.  It probably won't be as big of a spike as Halo 3 was (unless Reach turns out to be just amazing) but it will still be a pretty decent sized spike.