By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii internet browser updated

With the Internet Channel, you can surf the web on your TV, in the comfort of your own home. Using Opera's full internet browser, the Internet Channel supports Adobe Flash and JavaScript, so you can even watch videos available on many of the popular websites.

USB Keyboard Support
Surfing the web with the Wii console just got a lot easier. Simply download the updated Internet Channel and connect a USB keyboard into a USB port on the console. You'll now be able to type your emails, input URLs and much more using a USB keyboard. Please note that we do not currently have a list of compatible USB keyboards; however, most brands are likely to be compatible. You can expect a faster, more stable connection with the updated Internet Channel. In addition, security has also been improved.

*The Classic Keyboard 200, manufactured and sold by Logitech, is compatible with Nintendo's Wii console, and most other standard USB keyboards should be compatible.

B Button Now a “Shift” Button
During text input using the Wii Remote, the B Button can be pressed to activate the “Shift” function of the onscreen keyboard. This can make inputting capitalized letters or special characters easier while typing.

Highlight Text for a Quick Search
Specific text on the page can now be highlighted with the Wii Remote. Once highlighted, click the "Search" to populate the search field with that text. This will save you the time from having to type that text in the search field.

URL Editing
It is now possible to edit the web address (URL) of the page currently being viewed on the Internet Channel. This can be especially helpful if the URL was entered incorrectly, and needs only a quick correction. No more having to retype an entire URL!

“Page Information” Enhancements
The “Page Information” icon will be visible on all pages while browsing, even if the tool bar is hidden. In addition, "Page Information" has been enhanced to provide you a description of the page's security level; a “Send“ button is available to send the page to a friend; a “www” button is provided to edit the current URL and browse to a new page.

Display Enhancements
The way the Internet Channel can display a page has been enhanced. You now have the ability to make the browser ignore white space from the top and bottom of the screen, and the "Zoom" feature will alert you when an image is at its native size. Some other graphical changes have been made to the browser (new scroll bars, changed colors, etc.).

More Favorites (and You Can Send Them to a Friend!)
The maximum number of Favorites you can save has been increased from 48 to 56. In addition, you can now send your Favorites to other Wii friends using WiiConnect24.

Stability, Speed, and Security Enhanced
You can expect a faster, more stable connection with the updated Internet Channel. In addition, security has also been improved.

Smash Bros: 2363-5325-6342 

Around the Network

Sounds like a really solid update. Finally fixed a lot of the limitations of the browser.

Is this a new update or is the October update?

This was in the october update.

better sure but when are they going to add things like a flash player? I don't know, I played around with it for a while when I first got it but until they can make the experience a "full" internet I'm not really interested in this feature.

Around the Network

Sorry didn't realize if this was from Oct. I literally just received this email for some reason... maybe they didn't think people knew about it. I guess since I didn't realize other people might not either.