By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox Live Arcade Sales - Top 20

Can you bet your MSP on Texas Hold'Em?

Around the Network

stranne, no, but you can win MSP via tournaments.

But betting real MSP would be very, very interesting if it ever happened.

What games were you looking for? I'd say about 40% of the games not listed are between $1m USD and $1.5m USD (the #20 game). There are only 2-3 games that I looked through that haven't returned a profit to their company as of yet. And those were the most abysmal, pitiful games, like Millipede & Centepede (which maybe has made $60,000)

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Well my two favorite XBLA games are Pac-Man CE and Catan, and neither are on the top 20 list. How did those do?

Also, the date for Small Arms is incorrect.

We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that they [developers] want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so the question is what do you do for the rest of the nine and half years? It's a learning process. - SCEI president Kaz Hirai

It's a virus where you buy it and you play it with your friends and they're like, "Oh my God that's so cool, I'm gonna go buy it." So you stop playing it after two months, but they buy it and they stop playing it after two months but they've showed it to someone else who then go out and buy it and so on. Everyone I know bought one and nobody turns it on. - Epic Games president Mike Capps

We have a real culture of thrift. The goal that I had in bringing a lot of the packaged goods folks into Activision about 10 years ago was to take all the fun out of making video games. - Activision CEO Bobby Kotick

Catan -
Units Sold: 130,990
Revenue: $1,309,908 (at $10 USD a unit)

Pacman CE -
Units Sold: 118,296
Revenue: $1,182,968 (at $10 USD a unit)

Thanks for the post! VERY interesting to read.

My first love for gaming was not via Video games, but via Board games. You just posted the info for Catan, can you post the info on Carcassone?

Board game companies should pay heed. If your estimates are correct, and assuming your low end estimate of 70% profit on revenues, then Mayfair collected about $1,000,000 in profit on Catan. For a board game publisher, that is outstanding.

Now that said, I don't know (I expect to get my 360 in the next 3 months...) if mayfar simply sold the lisence for Catan to a third party who is getting the bulk of that profit, but regardless, this should show traditional board game companies that they need to get their product working on the 360 pronto!

Around the Network

Taro -

As it is right now, a board game company can send their IP to Microsoft to develop for *around* 50% revenue.

Carcassone is a little bit lower in revenue, but it was released 2 months later than Catan:

Total Revenue $801,123
Total Sales: 80,112

All the #'s are on the main page.

I *think* with a bit of work tommorow, even without a parser or any sort of automated program to farm the data, I can wind up putting a weekly chart together of each and every title.

And remember: I am almost certain that my numbers, overall, are low by about 10-30% in terms of downloads/revenue. So we could even see those games have a decently higher revenue

mrstickball said:
Taro -

As it is right now, a board game company can send their IP to Microsoft to develop for *around* 50% revenue.

Carcassone is a little bit lower in revenue, but it was released 2 months later than Catan:

Total Revenue $801,123
Total Sales: 80,112

All the #'s are on the main page.

I *think* with a bit of work tommorow, even without a parser or any sort of automated program to farm the data, I can wind up putting a weekly chart together of each and every title.

And remember: I am almost certain that my numbers, overall, are low by about 10-30% in terms of downloads/revenue. So we could even see those games have a decently higher revenue

50%!?  Microsoft does the work?  Seems like a no brainer for most board game companies to me.  This is enlightening as Wizards of the Coast is rolling out a service on their "Gleemax" community to play electronic versions of board games.  Seems like they probably would be better off to just port things over to the 360.  Well, maybe not...  but perhaps do both.

Really for any board game that is moderately successful, this seems like an excellent extension of their IP and brand.