By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Did FF XIII got compromised because of the Xbox360?

Seraphic_Sixaxis said:
Xxain said:
Seraphic_Sixaxis said:
As if man, it Squares fault for taking all there sweet old time.

??? Xxplain

For eXxample...

Like you said, if they wouldn't have over-blown the storyline, and kept the PR Values stable, it could have been released 2008 holidays, but knowing SE they tried aiming for a balance between eastern and western status for XIII, it so far, it hasn't gone well.

Basiclly, they put needless extra effort into the game without realize'n there poor mistakes they should have avoided all-together in the first place, meaning going on with the main FF tradition instead of going a-wall fanatsy.

Thats not the way i meant it, I believe FFXIII was comprised in its mission to expand to greater audience, but this greater audience includes ppl who dont play FF or JRPG's in general which I believe contributes to FFXIII's watered down RPG elements and instead takes the western vision hollywood blockbuster movie approach which would Xxplain the linearity and big action packed over done story that the game was obviously built to to support.

Around the Network
Xxain said:
Seraphic_Sixaxis said:
Xxain said:
Seraphic_Sixaxis said:

??? Xxplain

For eXxample...

Like you said, if they wouldn't have over-blown the storyline, and kept the PR Values stable, it could have been released 2008 holidays, but knowing SE they tried aiming for a balance between eastern and western status for XIII, it so far, it hasn't gone well.

Basiclly, they put needless extra effort into the game without realize'n there poor mistakes they should have avoided all-together in the first place, meaning going on with the main FF tradition instead of going a-wall fanatsy.

Thats not the way i meant it, I believe FFXIII was comprised in its mission to expand to greater audience, but this greater audience includes ppl who dont play FF or JRPG's in general which I believe contributes to FFXIII's watered down RPG elements and instead takes the western vision hollywood blockbuster movie approach which would Xxplain the linearity and big action packed over done story that the game was obviously built to to support.

Ah, yes, gotta admit there, from the videos to screens and characters, that does make a whoe lotta' sense.

That said, i'd have to agree, though i still stand by my first post to, yours makes alot of sense as-well, it seems there market is more confused then first thought... pfft.. yet another reason to support my dislike of FFXIII, thanks Xxain.

riecsou said:

Did the PS3 version of FF XIII got compromised because of the Xbox360? I am only asking this question because lately there has been a lot of bad reviews about FF XIII and I am a very big fan of the series since the NES version. And I have played, replayed and replayed again every FF that I played (expect for XII). And I remember coming accross this article and I didn't give it much importance until now. So was the team able to take full advantage of the blueray or was the game limited because of the Xbox360 version?

If you, as game creator, can't make a good game w/o bluray then you should consider quiting your job. So no. If there's anything that prevents FFXIII from being good it's flawed game design rather than 'compromising' because of X360. (personally, I think it never was good in FF series, but at least it looks like this iteration won't be worse)

alekth said:
Well, since having the Japanese voiceovers really matters to me, yes it did. But that's not such a widespread criteria, I believe.

Do you speak japanese? :p

Seraphic_Sixaxis said:
Xxain said:
Seraphic_Sixaxis said:
Xxain said:
Seraphic_Sixaxis said:

??? Xxplain

For eXxample...

Ah, yes, gotta admit there, from the videos to screens and characters, that does make a whoe lotta' sense.

That said, i'd have to agree, though i still stand by my first post to, yours makes alot of sense as-well, it seems there market is more confused then first thought... pfft.. yet another reason to support my dislike of FFXIII, thanks Xxain.

you dont have to dislike FFXIII... I still Xxcited 4 it and im buying it day 1, FFXIII just depends on who you are

Around the Network

I doubt it. Final Fantasy X played the same way in terms of side quests all opening up at the end of the game. Lack of towns is a development choice that has little to do with DVDs.

Xxain said:
Seraphic_Sixaxis said:
Xxain said:
Seraphic_Sixaxis said:
Xxain said:
Seraphic_Sixaxis said:

??? Xxplain

For eXxample...

you dont have to dislike FFXIII... I still Xxcited 4 it and im buying it day 1, FFXIII just depends on who you are

Glad your "Xxcited" for it, however the feeling is not the same on my end... and... "FFXIII just depends on who you are?" ... eh ... mind' clarifying?

I tend to lean towards yes, not because of the 360 but its audience.

The game coming to the 360 opens up:

-A larger Western Audience (8ish million more 360s in US + Other, especially the US)

- This audience most likely has more people that are not FF fanboys, thus new customers

- The balance of JRPG to WRPG comes primarily because of this new audience.

- I figure they knew they wanted to do this from the beginning (make it multiplat to get more sales)

Japanese PS3 only:

People might say what of Japan then?  PS3 dominates there so why do this balance at all?  Japan has almost always had a very interesting trend in that they shop by name.  I would almost bet this game would have sold like it did first week, if it was a 100% WRPG but called Final Fantasy 13.  They knew they had Japan, so it makes sense that they targetted the West.

I think Square is trying to move away from their Japanese centric vision of the main FF and try to bring more of the West into the fold.  Since FF9, the games have progressively gotten more and more Western oriented, closing in on this "balance" between the two.  With the major change (to some they can call this evolution if they agree or degradation if they do not)  Even with the changes, the game has still sold extremely well in Japan, but then again its almost guaranteed too.

MRFENIX said:
alekth said:
Well, since having the Japanese voiceovers really matters to me, yes it did. But that's not such a widespread criteria, I believe.

Do you speak japanese? :p

I understand most of the Japanese spoken in such games/anime etc. Not so well versed at reading due to only knowing about 120 kanji and furigana being rare.

I'm not sure how much the game got Westernized because it's also on the 360 as opposed to how much it was put on the 360 because it was already aimed at that expanded audience and the 360 covered a large part of the market.

riecsou said:

Did the PS3 version of FF XIII got compromised because of the Xbox360? I am only asking this question because lately there has been a lot of bad reviews about FF XIII and I am a very big fan of the series since the NES version. And I have played, replayed and replayed again every FF that I played (expect for XII). And I remember coming accross this article and I didn't give it much importance until now. So was the team able to take full advantage of the blueray or was the game limited because of the Xbox360 version?

Both actually.