By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - HD DVD vs. Blu-Ray Myths

A nice article about the myths of HD DVD vs. Blu-Ray...

http://www.tomrichmond.com/blog/?p=1511

Around the Network

That was a good read. I'm glad they pointed out that they both look the same and virtually sound the same. No matter which it is still a High Definition Movie.

PC Gamer

Fanboys will choose to ignore logic and reason like that found in this article, though. My personal favorite is the 1080i vs 1080p on a digital panel...

I hate trolls.

Systems I currently own:  360, PS3, Wii, DS Lite (2)
Systems I've owned: PS2, PS1, Dreamcast, Saturn, 3DO, Genesis, Gamecube, N64, SNES, NES, GBA, GB, C64, Amiga, Atari 2600 and 5200, Sega Game Gear, Vectrex, Intellivision, Pong.  Yes, Pong.

great find

kn said:
Fanboys will choose to ignore logic and reason like that found in this article, though. My personal favorite is the 1080i vs 1080p on a digital panel...

right now you cant tell much difference uunless your a PC gamer like me who count pixels.

OLED TVs and the New Plasma Tech (forget what its called) will increase the amount of pixels able to be jammed into a screen so a 52" screen that could only handle 1080p will have enough pixels for 2160p or even higher (maybe 5k+ which would be amazing as thats the resolution movies are shot at now). 

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Around the Network

The only thing that this article did was tell me that I should wait to buy into HD (point 4).

ssj12 said:
kn said:

right now you cant tell much difference uunless your a PC gamer like me who count pixels.

OLED TVs and the New Plasma Tech (forget what its called) will increase the amount of pixels able to be jammed into a screen so a 52" screen that could only handle 1080p will have enough pixels for 2160p or even higher (maybe 5k+ which would be amazing as thats the resolution movies are shot at now).

Yes, you are correct for PCs and Consoles as they can do 1000+ progressive lines of resolution at high frame rates.  I should have said for movies to make sure my point was abundantly clear BUT, this article specifically is talking about the myths concerning the differences in HD DVD and Blu-Ray and hence is only about movies...  By default when you are talking HD-DVD vs. Blu-Ray, you are talking movies.

I hate trolls.

Systems I currently own:  360, PS3, Wii, DS Lite (2)
Systems I've owned: PS2, PS1, Dreamcast, Saturn, 3DO, Genesis, Gamecube, N64, SNES, NES, GBA, GB, C64, Amiga, Atari 2600 and 5200, Sega Game Gear, Vectrex, Intellivision, Pong.  Yes, Pong.

the article was written just fine, with the one exception of the author taking the side of hd-dvd at the end. with that one line his whole article is bunk and many fans of blu-ray will point to that one thing and call him a fanboy.

i must agree with "kn" and his statement about fanboys ignoring logic.

with that said i'm a sony fanboy so obviosly i like blu-ray and ps3, and my 1080p bravia. so there is no logic to the way i think in regards to the practically indestructable blu-ray discs. and if that isnt a selling point then i dont know what is.

For a moment there, I wondered if #1 could be "off" due to different maximum video bitrates (48 Mbps for Blu-ray vs. 30 Mbps for HD DVD). But apparently, the standard bitrate is 20 Mbps for MPEG-2 and 13 Mbps for H.264 or VC-1. Not even close to the maximum for HD DVD.

For those wondering if they can fit the extended editions of the LOTR movies onto single discs, they can. A 30 GB two-layer HD DVD can hold 5.1 hours of video at 13 Mbps.

splatman1981 said:
the article was written just fine, with the one exception of the author taking the side of hd-dvd at the end. with that one line his whole article is bunk and many fans of blu-ray will point to that one thing and call him a fanboy.

The fact that he thinks one or other format will win means nothing. Everyone has an opinion, it doesn't imply the article is biased except in the minds of rabid fanboys. Those same fanboys would find other excuses to bash the article if they wanted to, so it doesn't change anyhing.

That said, the justifications of each myth could have been more explicit and some sources for the article's claims should have been named.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957