By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Sims 2: Castaway (Wii) Review

Let me preface this review with two statements:  The Sims 2: Castaway is far and away the best console version of the Sims to date, and it is arguably the most interesting Sims game, period.

Now that that's out of the way, let's get onto the details of the game.  Unlike most Sims games, Castaway has a concrete background story to it -- you are set adrift on a desert island, and need to make use of the resources there in order to survive.  The "Sims" aspect of the game comes mainly from your typical motive meters -- Hunger, Energy, Hygiene, etc. -- which need to be kept high in order to keep your Sim happy.  Typical Sims titles will have your Sim go off to a job during the day and come back some time later with some money, which can be used to purchase items and other upgrades for your home.  However, Castaway veers from the model somewhat, as your Sim will spend time exploring the islands, harvesting resources and then building some objects directly at a crafting bench while other large-scale objects are placed directly on the map.

Castaway has a lot more adventure elements to it than most Sims games, and while they may turn off diehard Sims fans they add a sense of purpose to the game that newcomers to the series may appreciate.  Your Sim will explore different areas of the islands -- beaches, jungles, caves, etc. -- and gather resources, collect items, and accomplish story objectives from assembling a radio transmitter to recruiting a monkey to harvest berries for you.  The main storyline is fairly linear, but it is open-ended in true Sims fashion, allowing you to build and re-build your beach palace long after the story has ended.  One gripe is the overall lack of options in the game design -- plans have to be unlocked by accomplishing story goals, and even once all plans are unlocked there are only a few different types of walls, tables, beds, etc. that can be made and placed in your home.  Clothing is one exception, with dozens of different designs that can be dyed into a half-dozen different colors, and since your clothing will regularly degrade and fall apart as the game progresses, you'll want to sew up some new clothes for your Sim at some point.

The interface is generally clean and uncluttered, a rare accomplishment for the Sims series on consoles.  If you move your pointer on the screen, the interface showing your Sim's mood meter and various menu icons will appear on the screen's sides, and leaving the pointer idle or pointing it away from the screen will cause the interface to fade away to transparent, giving you a clear view of the Simlish action.  You move your Sim around the island using the nunchuk, and interact with objects by walking up to them and pressing the Z button.  The pointer is used in placement mode to put your objects precisely onto a grid while using the nunchuk's joystick to pan your view.  The only hitch in the control scheme is that if you walk up to an object with multiple options, say for sitting in front of the campfire or cooking a meal over it, you have to tilt the nunchuk up or down to scroll through the different choices.  Fortunately, the Wiimote's pointer can also be used for most of these selections, though the game sometimes has trouble picking up the cursor.  Moving around objects once they've already been placed is a bit more complicated, as you have to first go into your inventory and then select "Grab Mode".

Much of your time will be spent harvesting resources while exploring and trying to find a way to escape, whether it's chopping wood, picking fruit, or mining ore.  Fortunately you can just hold the C button to fast-forward through the harvesting portions before moving on to the next resource node and the next area.  If you create crewmates for your Sim, you will also run into them during your exploration, and can even befriend them and recruit them into your "tribe" to assist with the chores.  Castaway offers the full range of social options for interacting with other Sims, up to and including island marriages, but there is no ability to have children.

Graphically, Castaway is pretty weak, but you can still make out all the features and differentiate between the different plants and trees so it doesn't get in the way too much -- Sims games have never really been meant to be eye-candy, anyway.  The music in the background is a soothing tropical mix that mainly does its job by not standing out in any way.  You can probably finish the main storyline in a few hours if you rush through it, but there's a lot of extra content that should keep you interested for much longer -- mysterious doors that seemingly can't be opened, a buried treasure, and a hidden island, among them.

Overall, Castaway is a refreshing take on the Sims franchise, and it is actually executed surprisingly well.  Small drawbacks such as muddy textures, object placement glitches, and limited building options do not really detract from the overall experience, making this an enjoyable game whether you normally enjoy the Sims games or not.

Graphics (B-):  Not a looker by any means, but the graphics do not in any way interfere with the gameplay.

Audio (B+):  Peaceful music and frequent sound effects enhance the atmosphere.

Interface (B+):  Wiimote pointer functions done well and not overused; menus clean and display lots of information without getting in the way.

Gameplay (A-):  Best Sims experience on a console yet, and the background setting gives gamers some motivation for their actions.

Value (B+):  Can get to the end credits quickly but there's still a lot to see before the game is really finished.

Overall rating:  B+

Around the Network

Thank you for the review. I was never sure if I should buy this game, but after your review I will definitely do it.

Should I buy this one or MySims for my sister?

I wonder what the differences are between the Wii and DS version. The wife picked up the DS version as it was $10 cheaper, and all she really said was that the graphics were kind've jagged and not as fluid as she was used to on the PC. Besides that, does anyone know what any of the major differences are in the versions? Length? Graphics? Gameplay?

MySims sucks badly :(

Around the Network

I haven't played either MySims or the DS version of Castaway. From what I've heard, MySims is pretty shallow but might still be fun for someone young, and the DS Castaway is more mission-based than the console versions.

My wife really likes mysims, but it's really a casual affair. EA did a GOD AWFUL job on the programming and it's laggy as hell. It's just programmed terribly so that it has to search the entire disc for every single little item (and there are lots and lots of items popping up all the time), so just walking around it spits and sputters and I can hear my poor wii's laser flying back and forth constantly searching for relevant data. Enter a house you can hear your wii searching the disc while it takes forever to load, it loads you still can hear it searching for stuff as you choppily walk across the room until it finishes. Then you talk to some one and the laser races back and forth again and it gets all choppy. My wife is very casual gamer so it doesn't bother her too much , but I can't play it. It's a good concept but EA just sucks. They put no effort into their games.

You can find me on facebook as Markus Van Rijn, if you friend me just mention you're from VGchartz and who you are here.

I can't recommend MySims - its slow, boring and quite pointless.

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

I'm assuming that your Sims can't become Movie Stars or College Deans...

Maybe it's okay, but The Sims is best as a PC affair.

Top 3 favorite games: Super Mario Galaxy, The Sims 2 (PC), The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker