By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - W29 60GB PS3 Review

Okay everyone knows that recently I traded in my Xbox 360 Elite for a used 60GB PS3. Well today I'm giving my review on the system in general. First I would like to start off with the console itself. The PS3 came with the PS3, 60GB HDD, Standard AV cables, AC power cord, and a new SIXAXIS controller. I bought a Gamestop/EBGames 1year warrranty. The used 60GB PS3 had minor scratches on the console but not even noticeable to the eye, you would have to come close to see them. The system is rather quiet sounds just like my notebook computer, quiet and not loud like the Xbox 360 fans when they are at the Xbox Dashboard. The 60GB PS3 was manufactered in November 2006 and it still works without any problems. The only problem I have is that if I put my ear close to the back of the console. I can hear a rather buzzing or small chirping sound. But when I far away from the console I can't hear it. I do notice that after 3 hours or so the console fan does start to kick into high gear and pushs the hot air out good. But other then that, the console reads the DVD's, Blu-ray and the PS2 and PS1 and PS3 games like beauty. Now onto the PS3 XMB: Its rather bland in my opinion. It has life but not as much life like the Xbox 360 had. Xbox 360 interface was easy to understand and so is the PS3 XMB, But I will give the nod to the Xbox 360 Dashboard. Maybe its because I played my PSP for so long that its rather boring to look at it on my HDTV. But its not annoying its rather simple of understanding. PS3 Online: This department of the PS3 is rather bad. Xbox Live had everything I could wish for. Movies, Trailers, TV shows, more game demos, extra downloaded content. It was awesome, something I really can't say about the PS3 Online. The Xbox 360 friends list is awesome being able to chat with your friends in game and sending them messages in game is cool. But the PS3 doesn't do that. I would push the PS button and think its bringing up the 360 sidebar. But it just asks me if I want to quit the game or some stuff about controllers. But the PSN online is good its Internet Browser and the PSN store are good additions and are easy to navigate through. But the Xbox Live is much better. PS3 Games: I have played Resistance: Fall of Man, Madden NFL 08 and Heavenly Sword. Okay Resistance: Fall of Man is tight but it has nothing on Halo 3. Halo 3 online aspect was totally awesome. It was addicting, but I got rather bored quick with it. Resistance Fall of Man was good with the controllers but it was boring in a way, just because in my head I can't comparing it with Halo 3. And that really made me stop playing the game. I played the game online too and to be honest the online community is so freaking cool and they talk. Something that I was worried about before I purchased the PS3. But again Resistance: Fall of Man was quickly wearing off. Madden NFL 08 on the PS3 is horrible. The framerate is truly awful and has nothing on the Xbox 360 version. I understand that it was 30fps, but the Xbox 360 version was way smoother, If EA keeps this up on the PS3 then, I will quickly change my mind about the PS3. Like when I want to juke I move the right analog stick but it takes about 2 seconds for the game to register that I moved the right analog stick, that is very annoying!!!! So Madden NFL 08 on the PS3 sucks hard. Heavenly Sword is an excellent game. I liked the graphics and the controls, its just that it reminds me of God of War to much. I almost half way throught the game, and I enjoy. Heavenly Sword is a serious must have title for the PS3. Like the action button sequence, really got me into the game. I would drop the controller thinking it was a cutscene but really it was a action button scene. IMO it is PS3 Game of the Year other than Uncharted or Ratchet and Clank Tools of Destruction. Overall, I'm not satisfied and I'm thinking about getting a Xbox 360 again and a Wii this week. So I will have all three. The PS3 is cool but I think I will give it a break until I see some good titles come out. After I heard Killzone 2 was being pushed back, that was the final straw. I'm awaiting Home and others, but I can't wait I need those games now!! Thats the only thing thats pissing me off about the PS3 is that I have to wait more and more months for those games to get released. I also didn't like how I had to buy a HDMI cable a headset. The only thing I had to buy for the Xbox 360 is a ummmm.....Xbox Live Membership and ummmmm...a plug and charge kit. And for the Wii I think I don't need anything but to provide myself and my family with Wii-motes, I really didn't see a difference in HD on the PS3 either. IMO Resistance: Fall of Man looks similar to Halo 3 considering since Halo 3 was 620 or 540p or something like that. Halo 3 was alot brighter and vibrant in color. Well that concludes my review on the PS3...this isn't bias or anything I like the PS3 its just waiting for games to be released is annoying and watching the others (Xbox 360 and Wii) get games out this holiday season and more announced is getting to me. Thats why I'm getting a Xbox 360 this week and a Wii around Christmas or New Years Day or in Feburary.

Around the Network
W29 said:

Overall, I'm not satisfied and I'm thinking about getting a Xbox 360 again and a Wii this week. So I will have all three. The PS3 is cool but I think I will give it a break until I see some good titles come out.

<snip>

I like the PS3 its just waiting for games to be released is annoying and watching the others (Xbox 360 and Wii) get games out this holiday season and more announced is getting to me. Thats why I'm getting a Xbox 360 this week and a Wii around Christmas or New Years Day or in Feburary.

These are the key points to me that define the PS3 experience right now.

Hopefully the lack of heavy hitting titles that you want to play will be remedied in 2008.

Nice to hear a review from someone who liked Heavenly Sword too.

W29, you really need to check out COD4. That game is so worth it and just an awesome game. Also, the XMB does need work, but they are continuing on pushing updates to it that will give the in game access to your friends list amongst many other things. Patience is the main key right now, and yea, it does suck to have to wait, but I really think it's worth it.

BTW, I really have to say the online with COD4 is flawless for me and the game actually seems better visually in multiplayer then it does in offline mode.

Get your Portable ID!

My pokemon brings all the nerds to the yard. And they're like, "You wanna trade cards?" Damn right, I wanna trade cards. I'll trade this, but not my charizard.

@Words of Wisdom

Yeah, it hurts waiting and I'm really thinking about getting a Xbox 360 or Wii tomorrow. Its hard waiting I need those games now!!

@jjseth

Yeah I was waiting for MGS4 to come out this holiday season and they pushed the title back. Now I have to wait an extra couple of months!!!! What if Konami is planning a Xbox 360 version @_@

Wait? Blasphemy!

Go get Ratchet & Clank Future and Call of Duty 4, and wait no longer!
Seriously though, after the past month or so I can't see how anyone thinks the PS3 lacks games (Uncharted also on the 19th as well, look out for that).
Sure there's none of the long-time favorites such as MGS or FF yet, but did anyone expect them this early?

Around the Network

@Quickdraw McGraw

Yeah your right, because its only the PS3 first year.....IDK

the PS3 DOESN'T LACK GAMEs

for owners

Get Rathcet NOw, get Warhawk NOW get HS NOW

all are 80 + on gameranking & metacritic

with Uncharted coming in as well

Now I don't have enough money to start buying 10 games a week so for me, Ps3 doesn' lack games now

It did in the summer period tho

Supporter of

SONY & Nintendo

Consoles owned - SNES, N64, PS, GC, PS2, PSP, PS3

I DO NOT support Xbox

My prediction for YEARS END:

WII - 18.3 Million

Xbox 360 - 15 Million

Playstation 3 - 8.5 Million

W29 said:
The PS3 is cool but I think I will give it a break until I see some good titles come out. After I heard Killzone 2 was being pushed back, that was the final straw. I'm awaiting Home and others, but I can't wait I need those games now!! Thats the only thing thats pissing me off about the PS3 is that I have to wait more and more months for those games to get released.

Well that concludes my review on the PS3...this isn't bias or anything I like the PS3 its just waiting for games to be released is annoying and watching the others (Xbox 360 and Wii) get games out this holiday season and more announced is getting to me. Thats why I'm getting a Xbox 360 this week and a Wii around Christmas or New Years Day or in Feburary.

Remember what I was saying about my little formula that decides if it's a right time for you to buy a system I was talking about yesterday? Bet it doesn't seem so silly now. :-p

And just for people that don't know what I'm talking about, here's the formula:

if ((number of games released you want) * ((average price of games) OR (sum of the price of games)) >= (price of console) then the console is worth buying.

You don't have to buy all those games but you do have to want them and buy them if given the opportunity. This way, you can buy your console with a few games and then have a decent selection for when you finish those games or if some turn out bad. Since you have that selection you won't be complaining about bad games and you won't be complaining about waiting for games to be released.

-edit-
Also, this only counts for personal taste. For me personally, there are no games I really want, maybe 2 if I really streched it. So 2 * $60 = $120. $120 < $500 so the system would be a waste of time for me. so don't give me the PS3 has a huge library or great selection crap, this only counts for personal preference.

You're going to rebuy a 360? Why not just buy R&C and Warhawk, and then Uncharted in two weeks? It would be much cheaper, and they're all great games, imo (well R&C and Warhawk are, and Uncharted should be).

H.S, and resistance are good games, but they aren't worth the price of the ps3 alone. Except for watching a few movies my ps3 just collects dust. There are some exclusive games coming out that i wan such as Haze, but right now i'm busy playing other games. I think i will pick up NGS when its cheaper since i already have NG and NGB.