By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - why do people say Wii is a gimmick

because of all the reasons stated above.

mmm...samba on the wii. xD

Around the Network

Because it is...?

Because it is different and we haven't passed a law yet that says it is racist for hating a video game system because it is different.

Explanation of sig:

I am a Pakistani.....my name is Dan....how hard is that? (Don't ask about the 101...apparantely there are more of me out there....)

Because some of us ARE disappointed. Lazy devs really do piss me off, with so much potential available, but there's also the fact that while the Wiimote is intuitive for some genres, it simply sucks/inferior in others to traditional controllers.

It's hard to push a new controller on to the market when it would seem that the 1st party developers are the only ones creating games that -really- push new concepts.

Wii Sports obviously did a god job in demonstrating emulation of the body to controller.

Metroid is honestly the best feeling shooter I've ever played. I played Halo 2 on our school network for hours a day for probably 2 straight years, and I absolutely love the Wiimote feel - I would wager most Prime haters haven't even played it and don't care about the controller one bit, good or bad.

That's just it. Traditional controllers have nothing on THE WII. Sure, it might have something on the WIIMOTE, but not the classic, sideways, or GameCube controllers.

I don't get this. It's like bashing the old Xbox large controller and ignoring the fact that a small controller exists - it's utter non-sense when other options are available.

"I'm not buying a laptop because it doesn't have a real mouse. Touch-sensitive pads don't work well for shooters are RTS games. Don't buy a laptop." - Utter non-sense. Get a USB mouse, it's an option, and then the entire debate is moot.

Holy heavens.

And besides, none of my friends hate me for liking the Wii, and liking Metroid ad bowling/tennis, and Excite Truck and Zelda, because they don't have egos - egos that say I'm cool because I own a PS3 and not a kiddie-Wii.

ESRB is not only a bad thing for consumers since it does not adequately inform anyone of anything, it labels a game as kiddie or adult. Just like the teenagers who want to smoke to 'be cool' and 'be more adult', it's the same concept.

I wonder how long it took for the thumb-sticks to catch on.... N64 controller was a gimmick back in the day too.

Numbers: Checker Players > Halo Players

Checkers Age and replayability > Halo Age and replayability

Therefore, Checkers > Halo

So, Checkers is a better game than Halo.

Around the Network

i think the wii is a gimmick because you dont need a new console for a new controller. it would have been just fine if they would have had a more standard controller + the wiimote. its the same thing with the ps3 controller and its motion sensing, if the dev gives the option to use motion sensing great!... but if they MAKE you use it, i dont really want to have anything to do with the game.
with the wii i dont have a choice but to use motion controls, and for the most part i dont enjoy playing the wii.

i think a ps2 with a motion control would sell just as good if not better than the wii.
or even an xbox.. but we all know nintendo and microsoft stopped production on their old consoles... like they just ran into a brick wall!~

Because the console is selling because of its controls not its games. Any of those games other than Mario without motion controls would sell like crap.

The Wii is one GOOD motion sensing controller one either Xbox360/PS3 (not the sixaxis lol) away from losing its only selling point.

Imagine playing Bioshock or R&C with Wii controller....golden.

Sales above and beyond what is warranted by the quality of the software is perhaps the dominant reason that this view is held. It indicates that people buy it for hype rather than substance.

Indeed, thus far the software on the Wii has been relatively weak, with a few first party exceptions. The view that the Wii is a gimmick however is immediately beaten the moment that the Wii sells based on quality, as opposed to promise and hype.

Debating with fanboys, its not
all that dissimilar to banging ones
head against a wall 

People say the Wii is a gimmick because they don't necessarily understand it.

It breaks the rules.

It gets bought by a lot of people who traditionally have not played video games.

Its graphics are not state-of-the-art.

Its game lineup is not fully rounded out (though what console can make that statement after one year ... remember the 360 is one year older).

That being said, no console has ever excited me like the Wii ... And I have been playing games longer than some posters have been alive. (I bought my first console in 1982).

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

People say the Wii is a gimmick because they don't necessarily understand it.

It breaks the rules.

It gets bought by a lot of people who traditionally have not played video games.

Its graphics are not state-of-the-art.

Its game lineup is not fully rounded out (though what console can make that statement after one year ... remember the 360 is one year older).

That being said, no console has ever excited me like the Wii ... And I have been playing games longer than some posters have been alive. (I bought my first console in 1982).

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV