By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

He is developing a game? Interesting!

Around the Network
Mr Khan said:

He's back in form, i see. But i notice he's contradicting himself on one point. He declares that its a bad thing that everyone wants to make games, because that depresses job prices, but he once spoke with admiration about the early game makers, who got into the business purely for the passion of it, neither wanting nor needing fame and fortune.

And where does he get the idea that Nintendo wants to marry themselves to Silicon Valley? If that were the case the Wii would be vastly different, even with the same processing power, we would be seeing a vastly different feature-set.

Regarding your first paragraph, the difference is that 1) modern game makers do want that fame and fortune, and 2) he's somewhat romanticizing early game makers.

Regarding your second paragraph, as a lifelong Bay Area resident, I have to wonder if there's another Silicon Valley out there...? That would explain that portion of his post, anyhow.

KungKras said:
I agree with the coherency in universes.

I fucking hate when sequels lose the spirit of the original, and when stories spiral out of control and universes starting to break their own laws. It should be illegal.

With you 100% on that one. I'd also add that I absolutely hate when writers use tortured pretzel logic in order to introduce a plot twist, with the sole goal of ensuring that "you never saw it coming." It's almost as bad, in my eyes.

He's pretty much right.
I personally never liked the 3D Marios as much as the 2D ones, but I could never really put my finger on as to why.

I'm excited about Galaxy 2, but it will most likely pale in comparison to Super Mario World.

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

How can games become mainstream if the developers hate what is mainstream?

Greetings Malstrom,

I’m a long time reader of your articles and they really opened my eyes to so many things regarding business, gaming and much more. For that I thank you. This is my first e-mail to you and it’s not only a thanks card for you to know that you helped me understand more about so many things that are going on.

Let me begin by saying I’m a game developer from Brazil (so pardon my english if you notice a few grammar errors here and there) and I was browsing your older posts and I saw a comment by you about how video games are related to board games and I’d say you hit the bull’s eye on that one. When I began the game design course on a university here the final project of the semester was to build a board game and, behold! Almost all of my fellow colleagues wondered what was the purpose on making a board game. Little did they know that board games are, in fact, one of the most powerful game design labs. I didn’t finish the course, if you’re wondering, for I came into conclusion that there was something wrong with the course after spending 3 semesters there of its total of 8 and changed to Music Composition. (There were some programming classes, a few art classes here and there, but the game design itself was taught by experience, there’s no classes that can fully create a game designer and I think that’s why there was so few classes dedicated to this on the course. That’s when I got out to venture myself out of the academic limitations to create games that were not only theorical… When you have to spend 6 months to make a single flash game using in-depth research and with 4 professors telling you to re-do the design of the game from the scratch because it didn’t fit with obscure theoric values, then there’s something wrong there. It strikes as something like you said about businessmen and showed that “Back to School” videos.)

Well point is: There’s one more kind of game that can be thought as a game design lab. RPG. The good and ol’ D&D, or any other rpg system, is deeply connected with the crafted with game design as I see. The dungeon master is not playing as the “evil dictator who wants to get ride of the players”, the DM could say a meteor falls from the sky and everyone is dead, end of the story, alas, the DM does not.  What the (good) DM does is making sure everyone is having fun, making the challenges at the right level for the players and, most important of all, listening to what the players want. It’s pretty much what you said about oldschool game developers making games for their friends and then they think about selling them. Needles to say that a power-drunk DM (or game designer) is one of the most sad things to see. The story of the rpg does not revolve around the DM’s (game designer) vision, it revolves around what the players (consumers) want.

That is topic one of this e-mail in a nutshell: There’s a relation between being a DM and game designer. I’m both and I’ve questioned a few DM and game designers on that, they also see a relation. I wanted to hear your opinion on that since I saw you talking about similarities on board games and video games.

Board games are very important to the soul that is video games. The first video games were very much from people who loved board games. M.U.L.E. is an example.

There are two things that really stand out with board games. The first is that they are all social. There is no such thing as a single player board game. OK, maybe there is, but that is not why people play board games. This is why I think all this ‘Social Games’ craze is really just games being what they have always done. The Game Industry overshoots in a direction and is ‘corrected’ by being yanked back to the standard. They went too far with cinema (which meant single player type experiences) so the ‘Social Game’ craze is just the vacuum asserting itself. In time, the Game Industry will overshoot the ‘Social Games’ and be yanked back from a growing vacuum. I don’t know what it would be but something Social Games will forget. AI?

The second big thing is that board games rely entirely on imagination. The people gathered around the game are all using their imagination. The dungeon master’s job is to surprise and keep people’s imagination alive. Of course, that is the job of a good game designer too. The game designer’s job isn’t to bathe in HIS imagination but to use his imagination to excite the players’ imaginations.

Let me tell you about one cool game that I beta tested. This board game was made by someone who was struggling to get his board game made and published. Just how there are many wannabe video game makers, wannabe movie makers, wannabe writers, etcetera, this guy wanted to break into the board game business. So you can imagine these guys printing and cutting little pieces of paper, making their own board, and trying very hard to get attention to their experiment. This guy got lucky in that his experiment got seen by someone at Steve Jackson games and they decided to publish his game. It was selling so strongly they made an expansion.

The game is called Revolution.

The game impresses me in that it gets closer to the end goal of what games should do: melt the game away and leave only the psychology of the players. Also, the game has no dice, no random chance. I hate that in board games. The game is simple enough to get into, but there is much going on that keeps you playing.

The components of the game are also very nice. Nice and heavy.

I’ve played more of the game’s expansion and did so with six to eight players. This geek review below is a little scary but he is right on about the game.

Here is the game’s creator’s blog site where he talks about his trials of going from his ‘experiment’ to publishing the game.

Anyone interested in video games should take a look at board games. I recommend going to a convention where they have many board games there and you can just observe or play ones you never have before. Of course, it is going to be a nerd fest so beware.

Topic two is: Did you notice how restrictions are proportional to creativity? Take, for example, the songs of the oldschool games. I grew up during the 16-Bit console war and I can say without a doubt that music back in the day was more memorable than most of the things I hear today. The composers had acess to VERY FEW midi instruments back then, how it comes that today, with so much instruments at their disposal VG composers had such a drop on quality? My guess is that they have so much liberty that they got crazy with it. They gazed at all the possibilities that it holds and started creating epic songs… The problem is that they got so addicted to that amount of possibilities that probably forgot how much impact fewer instruments can deliver. What is good creating a epic song for a game if it doesn’t stick to my mind and I can remember of the song as soon as I remember of the game?

I explained that on song, but of course this can be put into a number of another analogies. Mario himself is the son of a number of restriction, as I think you know: he have a mustache because they coldn’t make a descent mouth back then, he wears a hat because the hair wouldn’t be right, his clothes are designed to contrast with each other… Another example is Samus morph ball, back to Metroid they wanted to make her kneel, but that would mean they need to make animations of he kneeling and I’m not sure who had this insight, but someone then said “Why don’t we turn into a ball?” Hence came the morph ball. Now I wonder… Is the anomaly of the 3D mario just another variation of that restriction removal? I’d risk to say yes, it is. Miyamoto own words seems to show this to, in my opinion: “I’ve made those games before. I don’t want to make them again.” Sounds like even now this world of 3D is captivating him and making the voices of the millions of consummers shouting “GIVE US THE DAMN 2D MARIO ALREADY!” fall on deaf ears.

With Miyamoto, you have to understand that as you get older, you become aware that you have less time in life. He is… in his fifties? He wants to maximize the time he has left.

You know the stereotypical angry old man who yells at you to get off his lawn? The old man may appear bitter or angry. But he isn’t. He has no time left. He isn’t going to put up with anyone’s BS. With the few remaining years you have left on Earth, would you put up with the old BS and frolicking niceties? I think not.

I don’t think Miyamoto or any of the elder developers at Nintendo realize just how precious people hold 2d Mario. They did not grow up with it as, say, the NES generation who is now in their 30s. It is something so precious that you are finding the phenomenon of the older generation plopping their kids in front of 2d Mario to give them a similar childhood experience. 2d Mario defined childhood for many people.

If there was any time I could be a fly in the wall at Nintendo Headquarters, it would be during December 2009 when Mario 5 was beginning to actually sell out and the company was going through their entire Wii stockpile. They knew the game would sell strongly based on the DS incarnation. But I don’t think they realized that Mario 5 would push hardware (and it does push hardware, look at Japan’s sales as that is the only thing propping up the Wii).

2d Mario is bigger than Mario Kart. It is bigger than Zelda. It is bigger than Wii Fit. It is likely even bigger than Wii Sports.

Now, Miyamoto doesn’t have to oversee every 2d Mario game. But I think it is silly not to continue 2d Mario. Iwata asked how they can get younger developers to know things that the older developers know. This is the answer. Put them to work on 2d Mario. Miyamoto can keep doing new things, but Nintendo can still keep making 2d Mario.

Now that the 2d Mario on console eruption has exploded, is there any other old school eruptions waiting to erupt? Well, I consider Wii Sports to be a continuation of the NES/Atari sports games line. Wii Tennis is like a twenty first version of PONG in a way.

Zelda is awaiting to explode. But it is the Zelda arcade action that you saw in games like Link to the Past. This Puzzle-Zelda is nothing at all what Zelda used to be. Of course, such eruption won’t be as big as Mario 5.

I actually wonder if there is an old school Final Fantasy eruption awaiting. Square has made some games they say that is like the old school ones but they are anything but that. I remember someone at Nintendo, maybe it was Miyamoto, saying that young people want to make games they grew up with like 2d Mario and Final Fantasy. Well, with how well 2d Mario went, maybe they should let the kids try out an old school Final Fantasy game. That would be interesting coming from Nintendo.

Could there be a Star Fox explosion? I don’t know on that one. Star Fox was never as popular as Mario or Zelda. However, it would be a safe bet for Nintendo to make. Starfox is a game that both the N64/Gamecube crowd would like as well as the Old Schoolers. Of course, if they make Starfox Wii to be about a love story between Fox and Crystal, then consider the future for that title grim.

The only game I cannot pin the past is Wii Fit. That is truly new. There were games like Track and Meet, but Wii Fit is very different in context. Wii Fit is really doing some game things to help your fitness where, before, it was doing fitness things to play the game.

But about your point about more restrictions leading to better creativity, I agree. And so does Clayton Christenson of disruption fame. He says that too much money is ‘bad money’ and that a company, in order to innovate, must lop off part of itself and then starve it. Force them to act. I think Iwata did something similar to this with the making of Brain Age by assigning three guys only three months to make the game. “They tried to argue, but then they realized they didn’t have time!” Iwata recalled, laughing over the incident.

I think greater restrictions forces these guys to use their imagination more to get around the obstacles. And the more they use the imagination, the more cool things result like Samus turning into a ball.

Perhaps game makers could try to recreate such innovation by forcing such restrictions on themselves? I have heard of some of them doing this.

"I think greater restrictions forces these guys to use their imagination more to get around the obstacles. And the more they use the imagination, the more cool things result like Samus turning into a ball."

Excellent sentiment right there. Often times things get so bloatedwhen too many people are involved or too many resources are made available. I personally create my best work when I'm under a deadline LOL

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

Around the Network

You need pressure to create a diamond

PlayStation 3 180.8K
PSP 65.5K
Xbox 360 185.4K
Wii 277.2K
Nintendo DS 440.8K

1. TOM CLANCY’S SPLINTER CELL: CONVICTION* 360 UBISOFT Apr-10 486.1K
2. POKEMON SOULSILVER VERSION NDS NINTENDO OF AMERICA Mar-10 242.9K
3. NEW SUPER MARIO BROS. WII WII NINTENDO OF AMERICA Nov-09 200.3K
4. POKEMON HEARTGOLD VERSION NDS NINTENDO OF AMERICA Mar-10 192.6K
5. GOD OF WAR III* PS3 SONY Mar-10 180.3K
6. WII SPORTS RESORT W/ WII MOTION PLUS* WII NINTENDO OF AMERICA Jul-09
7. BATTLEFIELD: BAD COMPANY 2 360 ELECTRONIC ARTS Mar-10 166K
8. WII FIT PLUS W/ BALANCE BOARD* WII NINTENDO OF AMERICA Oct-09
9. JUST DANCE WII UBISOFT Nov-09
10. SUPER STREET FIGHTER IV PS3 CAPCOM USA Apr-10 143K

(*includes CE, GOTY editions, bundles, etc. but not those bundled with hardware)

What a fantastic drop! As you know, I desire the destruction of the Game Industry. Forget trying to ‘fix’ it. Let it all end in fire. Therefore, it is Happy Days for me.

Now, remember what was being said around January and February? It was something like… “Foolish Malstrom! Look at those wonderful Modern Warfare 2 sales! Core Market dying? Hah! It is now the future!” Since that time, Modern Warfare 2 has disappeared from the charts (but not Mario 5). The development team for Modern Warfare 2 has literally imploded with Infinity Ward and Activision suing one another and people leaving the company. It has been amusing to watch game journalists switch templates. The first template was that ‘zOMG Modern Warfare 2 is selling more than sliced bread.’ Then the template switched to “Noble artists and visionaries at Infinity Ward assaulted by Bobby Kotick and his minions” forgetting the inconvenient fact that Activision does own Infinity Ward and can tell them what games they can do. In the same way, Nintendo tells Retro what to do. It would be absurd for Retro to say, “Sorry Iwata, but we’re going to do a game about pineapples and unicorns and you don’t have any say in it.”

Faced with this unfortunate reality, our hardcore friends switched all their attention to Monster Hunter Tri. “Where is it on the sales list? OMG! Wii Fanboys owned! zOMG!!!” Monster Hunter Tri is not a Wii game, it is a PSP game that is on the Wii. The game isn’t even the standard resolution of 480. The game uses none of the controls for the Wii. And the marketing team really screwed it up. I’ve been quiet about MH3, but the ads, while amusing, struck me as totally off. It is as if the marketing team looked at Monster Hunter and said, “Durr, it is about hunting monsters. Let us do commercials about that.” But that is not what people value of the game. If you ask any MH fan, they will say proudly how many hours they have sunk into the game almost as if the game was a single player MMO content-wise. This value was never marketed. Fans who said they could sink 500 hours into it caught my attention. Only the style of MH was marketed, not the substance.

But let them spin away from the bigger story which is the disintegration of the Core Market. Final Fantasy XIII, where did it go? Gone. These games come out and then they disappear.

But thank goodness we have Anita Fraizer on the case. I couldn’t go outside until I heard the valiant Anita Fraizer tell us what is going on. And what an “analysis” this was!

She continued, “Part of the decrease from last year can be attributed to Easter shifting.  Last year, Easter fell in mid-April so most Easter shopping was accounted for in April sales.  This year, that shopping would have fallen in March.  So that could account for about $55 million of the decline from last year.  Interestingly, the decline in software sales seems to have been driven by catalog titles and March ’10 releases which fell off more dramatically in their second month at market than did the March new releases last April.  The April ’10 new releases actually performed very favorably in aggregate as compared to last April’s new releases.”

Easter shifting!!!!!!? What nation is Anita Fraizer analyzing because it certainly isn’t the United States. No one goes out and buys video games for Easter. Unless kids are more spoiled then I ever thought they could be, they get things like chocolate bunnies and candy for Easter. But video games?

“But Malstrom,” reeks a hardcore gamer. “The PS3 had greater sales than last year. See? SEE! Core Market is growing!” PS3 also had a completely different model and a completely different price tag. These ‘percentage’ gains are illusionary and are a distraction from the real numbers.

We asked Frazier if the Wii shortage situation had anything to do with the lower Wii sales. She responded, “As far as the Wii is concerned, this month’s unit sales are fairly in-line with what was sold last July and August.  I have heard rumblings on the street about inventory issues, but only Nintendo could clarify that situation.  But Wii games account for 4 of the top 10 games for the month, and Nintendo (including DS) has 6 of the top 10.”

This came from IndustryGamers. Now James Brightman isn’t the brightest bulb around, his sloppiness pretty much blatantly shows he was trying to get Fraizer to blame the Wii for the Industry decline. These man-child journalists could ask a grown up question to Anita Fraizer such as…

“What happened to that PlayStation 3 shortage?”

Inquiring minds would like to know. Is the PS3 shortage still going on? After all, I heard that supply was “TIGHT”. Looking at these numbers, the only thing we can conclude is that the PS3 is still supply restrained and so is the PSP. In an incredible revelation, the Game Industry is realizing that the PSP has been “supply restrained” for its entire lifespan. I suppose also since I didn’t see any Gizmondo numbers that the Gizmondo is also extremely supply restrained.

If this Industry had any sense of objectiveness, they would all be commenting on the sales of Super Mario Brothers 5. After all, they were having orgasms over the sales of Modern Warfare 2. Now that Modern Warfare 2 is fading away and Mario 5 keeps going, you would think they would comment on that. After all, Mario 5 is a 2d sidescroller where we were told that 2d sidescrollers could not sell. We were also told that the ways of the 2d sidescroller were lost to time, that people like me had to get used to ‘FPS galore’ rather than play games that resemble anything on the NES or SNES.

Since today is Happy Days, let us indulge in one more little video. Consider it an analogy with the hardcore pushing around the poor old school gamer and Malstrom, with his black leather jacket, has to come in and set things right.

This is really funny… Humor works only when it resonates with truth.

For some reason, I kept thinking of Starcraft 2 when reading that. “You have made a friend on Battlenet. Therefore, here is this achievement. Would you like to display this achievement in your profile or send it out on Facebook?”

What I find funnier about this is people getting angry at it. The hardcore recognize their reflection staring back from the the absurdity.

Anyway, I have thought that I need to have achievements on this website. Perhaps even some tutorials. “Use the mouse cursor to scroll down… GOOD JOB!”

An example would be this article. Unfortunately, Sony is having problems.

The doom about Nintendo has always been exaggerated. It was so ridiculous that as the Wii surged, Nintendo was in ‘big trouble’. Going into the holidays of 2009, everyone was considering Nintendo dead, the ‘casual bubble has collapsed’, and ‘why is Nintendo betting everything on a 2d platformer? HAR HAR’.

Nintendo is in a far better position than either Microsoft and Sony heading into the Eighth Generation.

Is April a ‘blip’? Actually, I think April is showing what is normal. The ‘blip’ was when Nintendo launched their new DS last April. The ‘blip’ is when all the new games get released in a month. Those are the blips. The decline is real. Investors are smarter than you because it is extremely expensive if they are wrong. For the hardcore gamer, however, there is no cost to being wrong so they are free to be wrong all the time.

All this is fulfilling the disruption quite well. Remember, it is not just Nintendo doing the disruption. It is the web based games on the PC as well. And Nintendo has really shot themselves in the foot with their anti-content direction of UGC (Nintendo would rather make love to Silicon Valley than to make video games).

First stage is aggressive growth. The disruptor arrives on stage. The incumbents ignore this growth because the disruptor is a ‘crappy product for crappy customers’. Both the Wii and the Social Games on the Web illustrate this.

Second stage is that both the Core and the New Markets exist at the same time. Growth might tend to slow on the New Market side. The Core side remains stagnant. Companies on the Core Market reluctantly agree to begin market growth to this ‘New Market’.

Finally, the bottom falls out of the Core Market. Panic sets in as many in the Core Market didn’t transition to the New Market fast enough. While many developers are not shifting to the Wii, they are shifting to the Social Games. In other words, Starcraft 2 is integrated with Facebook as the game is designed around Battle Net 2.0.

“But the recession, Malstrom!” A good business model can withstand a recession like a healthy tree withstands a hurricane. But a rotting tree, even of the strongest oak, will be torn to shreds.

All Nintendo Secrets Revealed! Discover Miyamoto’s Shocking Secret and Iwata’s Hidden Strategy! And Find Out What Reggie Eats For Breakfast…

Article by Sean Malstrom

It was the best of times. It was the worst of times. It was the time of disruption. It was the time of destruction. It was the era of growth. It was the era of decline. It was the time for new gamers. It was the time for old gamers. It was the first generation. It was the last generation. It was the beginning of gaming. It was the End of Gaming.

It was…

The reader blinks. “Where are the rest of the words? Webmaster! The words! They are missing!”

”Pardon, sir,” said the Malstrom. “I have taken the liberty of learning from Mr. Rubin and have, herein, adopted a new business model. Mr. Rubin has said that video games have too much content and should be delivered out in pieces that you pay a little at a time. What you read was the free sample which is something I learned by reading the amazing “Free” by Chris Anderson, but I truly learned this when eating ‘free’ beer nuts at the local bar and found myself immediately asking for a beer.”

”What are you saying?”

”I am saying you are going to have to pay for the next few words. A nickel per sentence, a dime per paragraph, a quarter per parable, and prepositions cost a penny extra.”

”What is this? You cannot be serious…”

”Look, I learned from the great Mr. Rubin. He told me, and he told me well, that video games can be replayed over and over unlike other mediums. Well, books and websites also can be ‘replayed’ over and over’. As you know, this is not very profitable for me. It is time that I got my fair share. Now, pay up!”

”You can’t do this. This is mad! This is…”

”These are Next Generation Articles! Yes! It is time to get to the cutting edge. Now, I hope you have a fast computer.”

”Huh? Why?”

”The processor speed of your computer is very critical to the performance of my articles. I insist a minimum requirement of quadruple core. My articles may run on less, but it will be a lesser experience so therefore I have banned my articles on inferior hardware.”

”What in the world does my processor speed have to do with reading your articles?”

”Why, it has EVERYTHING to do with it. My articles require the best processor speed. And I hope you have a good sound chip on your motherboard.”

”Sound chip? What the…”

”How much RAM you have? My articles require at least 12 GB of ram.”

”OK, OK, I get it. I will update my hardware. Now, give me the rest of the words.”

”Give!?”

”*sigh*. Very well, I shall pay up.” (Hands Malstrom the coins.)

”Enjoy the article!”

It was a New World. Decades ago, gaming began to explore the New World of gaming. But somewhere in the late 80s, it got off track and began competing within other game companies. Gaming ceased to truly grow or explore. In fact, the…

”Tutorial Time!”

”What the… Why are you interrupting me?”

”This is a Next Generation article. And we must have tutorials to make sure you know how to read the article properly. It won’t be long. Shall we begin?”

”Oh, very well…”

”Now, repeat after me, ‘The cat jumped over the hat.’”

”The cat jumped over the hat.”

”Very good! Well done! Now, we go to the next stage of the tutorial. Say, “The cat jumped over the hat. Then, the cat ran around in circles.”

”The cat jumped over the hat. Then, the cat ran around in circles.”

”Brilliant! Just brilliant! Here is another one: ‘Wondrous of worlds! I am a cat that found a hat. And then I ran in circles.’”

”This makes no sense. Why am I reading this in order to see an article? Why…”

”Say it!”

”sigh… ‘Wondrous of worlds! I am a cat that found a hat. And then I ran in circles.’”

”Excellent! You are almost ready to read the article. Next, you need to…”

”I hate this tutorial. Let me read the damn article I bought!”

”You are almost done. We are at the last part of the tutorial. Now, repeat after me… Listen closely… Here it is…

”O rare instinct! When shall I hear all through? This fierce abridgement Hath to it circumstantial branches, which Distinction should be rich in. Where? how lived You? And when came you to serve our Roman captive? How parted with your brothers? how first met them? Why fled you from the court? and whither? These, And your three motives to the battle, with I know not how much more, should be demanded; And all the other by-dependencies, From chance to chance: but nor the time nor place Will serve our long inter’gatories. See, Posthumus anchors upon Imogen, And she, like harmless lightning, throws her eye On him, her brother, me, her master, hitting Each object with a joy: the counterchange Is severally in all. Let’s quit this ground, And smoke the temple with our sacrifices.”

Malstrom narrowed his eyes. “Speak this, reader, and finish your tutorial.”

The reader just stared in awe. “But that… that is a Shakespeare monologue!”

”So it would seem.”

That is your tutorial?”

”Are you going to pass the tutorial or what?”

”I just want to read the article I paid for. Why do I have to go through a much more difficult tutorial than what is in the article? This does not make sense.”

”That is because you are not an Industry Man.” Malstrom pounded his chest. “I am an Industry Man. I have seen the light. And the light is that you must go through this tutorial in order to properly behold my amazing words and sentences.”

”You’re right. I am NOT an Industry Man! I am… a reader. Why should I give a care about your industry? Bah!” The reader took back his money from Malstrom. “Give me my nickels and dimes! I will read something else.”

”You better upgrade your monitor.”

”What? Why?”

”My articles can only be properly viewed in High Definition. Anything less will create a smaller text which will be too difficult to read.”

”Forget this. I’m going away.”

”But you have already consumed some of my material without paying for it. Pirate! You art a pirate! Arr! Arr!”

”I am no pirate!”

”Piracy is the reason why my sales are so bad lately. I think I need some DRM for my articles.”

”You… are… insane…”

”From now on, you may only read the articles when you have a constant Internet connection. If you lose connection at any time, the article will go away, and you will have to start over in reading it.”

”This is dumb.”

”My article is now interlinked with others. Therefore, you can chat and interlink with everyone in THE CLOUD when you read my amazing paragraphs and sentences. I know you always wanted such a feature.”

”Huh?”

”This CLOUD article will sweep Paris, Tokyo, and even Dubai. Everyone will be linking to the articles through the cloud. And you can post pictures of your cats and discuss Zelda fanfiction while you are at it.”

”I don’t need any of that to read the article.”

”But you do! Social articles! That is the trend! It used to be Cinematic Articles but now Social Articles are where it is at! We must make the trend our friend.”

”That is it. I am leaving. Good-bye.”

Malstrom watches the reader leave.

”Hmm…”

Malstrom turns towards you and says, “Well then! I hope that was a good read. There is Downloadable Content available for this blog post in additional content patches with brand new sentences and even a new paragraph!”

”Where are you going? I demand payment for my periods. I demand payment for my apostrophes. Where you going!? It isn’t about fairness, it is about… Where are you going!? Hey…

MOST INTERESTING GAMER ON…

THEM NUTS

“You see them nuts?”

points to game journalists…

“They are there to make us buy games. Normally, I don’t like being coerced, but I shall make an exception in this case.”

“Stay playful my friends.”

I agree the marketing for Monster Hunter 3 should have been more aggressive. It's selling, but a further marketing push will ensure legs for it.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

You can't effectively advertise tedium. Even if the tedium of Monster Hunter is fun (and it is fun as fuck), you can't advertise someone killing Rathian 30 times (or more, as some of our members can attest) to get a Rathian Plate, and you certainly can't advertise the thrill of that

They did the best they could, i think.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Mr Khan said:

You can't effectively advertise tedium. Even if the tedium of Monster Hunter is fun (and it is fun as fuck), you can't advertise someone killing Rathian 30 times (or more, as some of our members can attest) to get a Rathian Plate, and you certainly can't advertise the thrill of that

They did the best they could, i think.

Where did he, or even I, state that was what the marketing should be?

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs