By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
Jumpin said:

That's the same as saying that it doesn't make sense if Link talks in future Zelda games because he hasn't spoken up to this point. In the case of Metroid: it's simply that the technology was previously too limited to put real cutscenes like this one into the game. 

JerzeeBalla said:

What Im asking is.....Is it possible she was scared the first 2 times as well and it was never shown due to.....lack of a proper way to show it? Without dialogue, or even text bubbles, how would we know if she was scared the first 2 times? In metroid, we knew nothing about Samus. Didnt even know she was female until the end. What Im saying is that it is possible she has always been this way and Nintendo just never showed us. So we just assumed she was this bounty hunter with ice water in her veins that shot first and asked questions later.

If they wanted to show that she was scared they could have come up with something to display this. But now after defeating something two times, when meeting it again fear would not be the response that comes to mind. And the technology was available for the remake Zero Mission or the Prime games, so that excuse falls.

To make things clearer, from an in-universe point of view would you guys be scared of something which you have already faced and defeated?

Around the Network
Rhonin the wizard said:
Jumpin said:

That's the same as saying that it doesn't make sense if Link talks in future Zelda games because he hasn't spoken up to this point. In the case of Metroid: it's simply that the technology was previously too limited to put real cutscenes like this one into the game. 

JerzeeBalla said:

What Im asking is.....Is it possible she was scared the first 2 times as well and it was never shown due to.....lack of a proper way to show it? Without dialogue, or even text bubbles, how would we know if she was scared the first 2 times? In metroid, we knew nothing about Samus. Didnt even know she was female until the end. What Im saying is that it is possible she has always been this way and Nintendo just never showed us. So we just assumed she was this bounty hunter with ice water in her veins that shot first and asked questions later.

If they wanted to show that she was scared they could have come up with something to display this. But now after defeating something two times, when meeting it again fear would not be the response that comes to mind. And the technology was available for the remake Zero Mission or the Prime games, so that excuse falls.

To make things clearer, from an in-universe point of view would you guys be scared of something which you have already faced and defeated?

Well, if the creature that orphaned me kept coming back despite me defeating it several times, I imagine fear of it would be a plausible reaction. After the events of Super Metroid, Samus assumes Ridley is dead, doesn't she? To her knowledge, he exploded along with the rest of Zebes. Wouldn't it be frightening to encounter him again, considering the impact he had on Samus childhood, and the rest of her life as a bounty hunter? He's very much a ghost of her past, and here he is again.

I haven't played Other M yet, but due to reviews (and video reviews) have come across Ridley's presence in the game and Samus' reaction to him. To me it seems plausible she'd be afraid-in one of the early cutscenes (the opening one?) doesn't Samus state that along with Zebes, Mother Brain and Ridley have been destroyed?

I'll have a better idea of all this once I've actually played Other M, but I wouldn't rule out a fearful reaction as being completely implausible. Yes, Samus has defeated Ridley several times-but he also killed her mother, is her nemesis and seemingly comes back from the dead. As capable as Samus is, she's only human.

Rhonin the wizard said:
Jumpin said:

JerzeeBalla said:

It wasnt an excuse, it was a question to those who know more about Metroid than myself. But out of curiosity, how could that fear be shown in those days with no text dialogue or voice acting? No cutscenes either? How would we know unless told?

I am a gamer. Not a fanboy, not a troll, a gamer. So when you dont like what I have to say, remember this fact.

JerzeeBalla said:
Rhonin the wizard said:
Jumpin said:

JerzeeBalla said:

It wasnt an excuse, it was a question to those who know more about Metroid than myself. But out of curiosity, how could that fear be shown in those days with no text dialogue or voice acting? No cutscenes either? How would we know unless told?

They could have had Samus back away from Ridley, show her crouching while Ridley closes in, however most gamers would not have liked control being taken away from them. Technology isn't the limit, one's imagination is. And Ninja Gaiden(NES) had cut-scenes.

And Samus was shown being afraid of Ridley in the Metroid manga, and suffered a nervous breakdown, she got better.

After watching the Riddley cutscene, honestly I thought it would be a lot worse. Yeah, it's weird she's scared after beating him twice, however.... wasn't she supposed to lose her memory? Maybe in Other M she is having flashbacks or something? Well, that's the only excuse I can think of it =p

Castlevania Judgment FC:     1161 - 3389 - 1512

3DS Friend Code:   3480-2746-6289

Wii Friend Code: 4268-9719-1932-3069

Around the Network
Rhonin the wizard said:
JerzeeBalla said:
Rhonin the wizard said:
Jumpin said:

JerzeeBalla said:

They could have had Samus back away from Ridley, show her crouching while Ridley closes in, however most gamers would not have liked control being taken away from them. Technology isn't the limit, one's imagination is. And Ninja Gaiden(NES) had cut-scenes.

And Samus was shown being afraid of Ridley in the Metroid manga, and suffered a nervous breakdown, she got better.

Hence why I asked someone who knows more about Metroid than me. Showing her back away doesnt necessarily mean she's scared though, but I see your point.

I am a gamer. Not a fanboy, not a troll, a gamer. So when you dont like what I have to say, remember this fact.

I hadn't thought of that. It is halfway legitimate that she might be scared of this thing she kills that keeps coming back, kinda like old '80s horror movies. "Sure, we've beaten Freddy/Jason/Michael before, but that hasn't helped us at all."

They never did explain how Ridley keeps coming back to life, though. They should do something equivalent to Umbrella Chronicles, something that spans the entire story thus far but explains what was going on behind the scenes.

I still don't understand why she went Zero Suit in his claws, though. That's just... :/ ...

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Asriel said:
Rhonin the wizard said:
Jumpin said:

JerzeeBalla said:

Well, if the creature that orphaned me kept coming back despite me defeating it several times, I imagine fear of it would be a plausible reaction. After the events of Super Metroid, Samus assumes Ridley is dead, doesn't she? To her knowledge, he exploded along with the rest of Zebes. Wouldn't it be frightening to encounter him again, considering the impact he had on Samus childhood, and the rest of her life as a bounty hunter? He's very much a ghost of her past, and here he is again.

I haven't played Other M yet, but due to reviews (and video reviews) have come across Ridley's presence in the game and Samus' reaction to him. To me it seems plausible she'd be afraid-in one of the early cutscenes (the opening one?) doesn't Samus state that along with Zebes, Mother Brain and Ridley have been destroyed?

I'll have a better idea of all this once I've actually played Other M, but I wouldn't rule out a fearful reaction as being completely implausible. Yes, Samus has defeated Ridley several times-but he also killed her mother, is her nemesis and seemingly comes back from the dead. As capable as Samus is, she's only human.

The problem with your theory is that she was never scared before/

I'd also like to note that Ridley is a heck of a lot more of a threat in both of those videos.

Music #61 - Uniracers

When Defender came out in the arcades, it was predicted that the game wouldn’t sell. The game was insanely hard and had many buttons. This was the opposite trend at the time of making games ‘friendlier and gentler’ with less buttons and more saccharine for the ladies. To the surprise of the ‘industry’, Defender became a huge hit and ultimately… a classic.

Young men, especially, like difficult games because it feels like an achievement beating them. People really like games that reward skill.

I know I’m probably the only one on the Internet saying this (which is actually good as it separates me from the pack), but I keep saying that Super Metroid was not the peak of the Metroid franchise but the first major indicator of a decline. This doesn’t mean that Super Metroid wasn’t a great game. It was fantastic. It introduced many new things. But it just didn’t have the same impact as the original Metroid did.

Why do I keep calling Super Metroid a ‘comfort game’? I do so in the sense that the game never makes you feel uncomfortable, that the game is extremely easy and like a nature walk compared to NES Metroid. I’ve also said that the enemies in Metroid would easily rip you apart while in Super Metroid, they feel like nonthreatening things placed there only to slow you down as you go from one item to another item. NES Metroid was a game consumers would chew on and battle for months if not years. Super Metroid was a game that was easily beaten within a rental.

One difference between gamers today and the old school gamers is that every gamer today feels entitled to beat any game if they just put in the time. Back in the day, no one expected to beat most games. The fun was in playing games, not completing them. You could spend endless hours with a game and still get nowhere in it if you didn’t have the skills. Shmup games were notorious for this. I guarantee you many people were unable to beat Gradius but that didn’t stop them from playing it.

Due to JRPGs and adventure games, gamers today think that if they just put in enough time, they are entitled to beat any video game. This is why the language of gamers has changed over the last couple of decades. Before, it was, “I finally beat level 5!” Today, it is, “I am thirty hours into the game.” Or to be more precise, when first impressions came with Other M, someone would say, “I am five hours into the game…” You could not possibly say that with old school Metroid. Five hours could mean you going in circles and going nowhere. This is also why I think the New School Gamer will describe a game like NES Metroid as ‘unplayable’ because there is the assumption that a game must reward time investment rather than skill. Instead of admitting they don’t have the skills and do not desire to develop them to play the game, it is easier to declare the game broken. We see New School Zelda fans do the same for the NES Zelda games for example. (When Nintendo looked at the mechanics of SNES Mario Kart to revitalize Mario Kart for the DS incarnation, its sales began to go through the roof. Mario 5 which was seen as ‘too difficult’ by some during the development sold gangbusters. And a game like Wii Sports can only be defined by the skill of the player and not the time invested into the game. You either learn how to bowl or not. A gazillion gutterballs does not earn you medals.)

For my demonstration, I am going to show a compare and contrast of Kraid’s Lair for the Metroid NES and Kraid’s Lair for the Super Metroid SNES. For the record, the player of NES Metroid has played through NES Metroid before. However, he is using a keyboard (which impacts his playing) and is using constant save states (which is saving his mistakes). You will see the player getting lost and getting torn apart by enemies. If there is any flaw of the original Metroid, it is the monotony of refilling your energy and weapons. But remember, this game came out in 1986, twenty four years ago.

After seeing how terrifying and difficult Kraid’s Lair is in Metroid, how is Kraid’s Lair in Super Metroid?

Imagine you have been living and breathing NES Metroid for eight years. What would your reaction be when playing Super Metroid? You’d be disappointed. The game doesn’t require any skill to beat. And the enemies are like fluffy bunnies to slow you down compared to the heartless monsters in NES Metroid that eat you alive. While the sound and visual improvements of Super Metroid are very impressive, and the new weapons like the grapple beam were very sweet, Metroid definitely lost something in Super Metroid.

One element I wish to return that Metroid did, as did the older Zelda games, was they had a very dangerous world. You could get access to later parts of the game but you would die because it was so dangerous. In both Metroid and Zelda, you could upgrade your armor and weapons which made the game much easier to play through. The beginning monsters got easier and the later monsters which were impossible were now possible. You felt powerful. You didn’t feel like you were the pawn of someone’s script.

Near the end of this video is the Kraid’s Lair of Zero Mission.

After seeing the NES Metroid videos, you should be able to see just how child-like easy Zero Mission is in comparison and how much smaller the game feels. Even on hard difficulty, it is still easy and extremely forgiving. Samus even grabs onto ledges so you cannot get knocked off. How easy is that?

Nintendo was a master of irony in their games back then. The irony of Metroid’s final battle was that the last boss, Mother Brain, never attacked you. What was so different was that the final ROOM was so dangerous. Likewise, Metroid cleverly inverted the typical final stage. Instead of the final stage being extremely dangerous (with the final boss being dangerous), the final stage is extremely easy but the enemies in it (Metroids) are extremely dangerous. You don’t see this type of innovation from Nintendo anymore.

The final boss fight from NES Metroid was extremely memorable and became iconic as an example of the NES experience. To show just how heartless the game is, even once you beat the final boss and beat the game, the planet will blow up unless you get out within a certain time. How much more heartless can a game get? This heartlessness was a big element of the game’s charm.

You could make a game like Defender easier, shallower, simpler, and add in anime tropes with many cutscenes, and you would have effectively destroyed a classic. It is good that games differentiate themselves from each other. Just as Defender embraced its heartlessness and mind numbing difficulty to differentiate itself from games like Pac-Man and Donkey Kong, Defender became a unique experience, sold very well, and became a classic. In the same way, Metroid embraced a type of maze-like complexity and elaborate difficulty that really set it apart from games like Super Mario Brothers and Legend of Zelda. Keep in mind Metroid’s difficulty wasn’t like the difficulty of Ghosts and Goblins. Metroid never felt cheap. Kids at the time looked up at Metroid because their father or older brothers would be able to play it while they could not (they would just use Justin Bailey cheat to pretend they were as good as their older relative). The reason why Nintendo never got the reputation of ‘casual game company’ or ‘kiddie game company’ was in due part because of Metroid. Metroid really was a test of game playing skills for older gamers. Regardless, Metroid was so popular that Nintendo chose to reprint it alongside games like Legend of Zelda.

Gamers kinda got cheated as we deserved another home console Metroid game between 1986 Metroid and 1994 Super Metroid. It is like comparing the harder original Super Mario Brothers to the easy Super Mario World with no Mario games in between for comparison.

To resurrect the Metroid series, a Super Metroid 2 will not work (as Super Metroid didn’t exactly work back in 1994). Keep the same great music and lush atmosphere of Super Metroid but have the heartlessness of the original. What you would end up with is a Super Metroid on Steroids. It would not be a game you would easily beat within a few hours (unless you have God skills). It would be a challenging game that you would wrestle with for a while and have a ton of fun doing so. Just as NES Metroid allowed one to get items and even the mini-bosses in different order, so to would this Super Steroid Metroid allow similar variation. Each game session would not be the identical ‘get item A’ then ‘get item B’ where the weapons and missiles serve as little as nothing but keys.

If anything is certain, it is time for Sakamoto and his team to stop working on Metroid. The Sakamoto storyline is nothing but anime tropes, inconsistencies, and absolute destruction of the series (e.g. Fusion Suit, e.g. the origin of Mother Brain in Other M). The Sakamoto team, including his 2d Metroid level designer, has made Metroid after Metroid that sells flat, despite the vast GBA install base, and it doesn’t get back to the awe that the NES Metroid commanded… or even the lesser Super Metroid for that matter. So why should anyone think that another 2d Metroid game from the Sakamoto team will do anything differently? It is time for them to go.

Just as with Mario 5, Nintendo should find a young member of the company who grew up with the original Metroid and understands the awe and impact it had. Give him the design responsibility for Metroid and remove all the Sakamoto garbage that has been built up over the past decade. Give us our Super Metroid on Steroids.

Hello Malstrom,

I have been reading your thoughts on Other M and Super Metroid lately (and agreeing with most of it), and I’ve been particularly interested in your thoughts on Super Metroid’s difficulty.  You knock Super Metroid for being very easy compared to Metroid, but I don’t think that’s that important in the big picture.  The ease goes away when you’re replaying it, trying fervently to get that fastest time, and you then come to really enjoy its smooth controls and sense of freedom.  Things like the wall jump don’t become “game breakers”, per say.  They add a layer of depth that one can appreciate only on upon replaying.  To me, Super Metroid is a masterpiece for two entirely different reasons: (1) Its atmosphere and exploration create incredible immersion for the player the first (and maybe second or third) time they play it, and (2) more importantly, its solid level design and nonlinearity, as well as floaty physics and game mechanics which give the player a very satisfying sense of control and freedom; make REPLAYING the game extremely enjoyable, over and over again.  The game really has something for everyone.

If you want the game to be as hard as Metroid, you can certainly make it by omission.  This I think is one of the standout features of games like Metroid and Mega Man X, and I think why Super Metroid’s disappointing default difficulty compared to Metroid’s doesn’t matter all that much in the long run.  It really doesn’t matter how easy the game CAN be, because you can make it as difficult as you’re comfortable with without doing anything at all.  There is of course a limit, when you’re going out of your way to make a game difficult, but that’s the beauty in difficulty by omission.

Sorry if that part was a little rant-y.  I’m having a bit of trouble expressing how I feel about it just right.  And now to the real point of this e-mail…

I would very much like to know if you’ve played this ROMhack before, and if you have, what your thoughts on it are.  I’ve played quite a lot of ROMhacks in my day, and I think it’s simply the greatest ROMhack around.  It succeeds marvelously in bringing back that Metroid “feel” which the original Super Metroid was sorely lacking.  It’s ruthlessly difficult, and you really have to use your head for some of its puzzles.  And it isn’t like other hacks that merely swap the areas around to create a hodgepodge of a new game.  Core mechanics are changed and the level design is extremely creative.

There are SOME moments that are so frustrating you might suspect that they weren’t designed without save states in mind, but that’s to be expected in almost any ROMhack (the authors make them only for the most devoted of fans), but unlike, say, Kaizo Mario, it IS perfectly possible to beat it 100% without save states.  And the sense of accomplishment you get when you do beat it properly without save states is amazing.  To be perfectly honest, I think the hack’s author “gets” Metroid FAR more than Sakamoto seems to.  My fantasy would be Nintendo letting him head a new 2D Metroid.

If you haven’t played this hack before, and you’re as much a Metroid fan as I think you are, I strongly recommend it.  At least play through it a few hours sometime and let me know what you think of it.

I haven’t looked at the romhack. Aside from a Mario Bros. 3 romhack, I haven’t really looked into them. More interesting to me have been some total remakes of old games done by fans as mods to PC games (some people have spent years of their lives making an Ultima V and Ultima VI remake, which I still need to try out).

You said:

(1) Its atmosphere and exploration create incredible immersion for the player the first (and maybe second or third) time they play it, and

I agree with you about the atmosphere and all. But this has more to do with being a late era Super Nintendo game than anything else. Games like the Donkey Kong Countries, Final Fantasy 6, and Chrono Trigger also had incredible immersion and dare I say probably even better music.

(2) more importantly, its solid level design and nonlinearity, as well as floaty physics and game mechanics which give the player a very satisfying sense of control and freedom; make REPLAYING the game extremely enjoyable, over and over again.  The game really has something for everyone.

I think you are confusing ‘backtracking’ with ‘non-linearity’. Super Metroid was a very linear game. In order to go through the green door, you must get super missiles. In order to get through the yellow door, you must get power bombs. The level design seems to be like a parade of gimmicks. You got the space jump. Oh, look, there are some areas that only the space jump can reach right near the location. You got screw attack. Look. There are some areas that only the screw attack can go through near that area. I never felt like I was in command but constantly doing a ‘find X obstacle, must get X item to pass’ to ‘get X item’ to ‘pass through X obstacle’. Then you come to another obstacle and repeat the cycle over and over with each item.

But in the original Metroid, the game felt like a very dangerous world and extremely easy to get lost in (even if you did have a map). The core gameplay was platforming and shooting. Items did help you get to other places, but the items assisted in your platforming and shooting. The ice beam, for example, made it much, much easier to get through several rooms even though you can get through those rooms without the ice beam. In Super Metroid, the core gameplay seemed to shift away from the platforming and shooting and more toward running from one room to another to get X item to get past X obstacle. The X item doesn’t become useful to assisting you in the core of the game because the game isn’t difficult to begin with and the monsters change to be difficult past item X so getting item X doesn’t really benefit your core experience.

I have this same complaint about Zelda. In early Zelda games, the core gameplay was arcade like swordplay. Items would assist you in this endeavor. Bombs and boomerangs would assist you in combat. In modern Zelda, they assist you very little in combat because the combat skeleton of the game is broken or non-existent. The purpose of the boomerang in modern Zelda is to solve the puzzle in the dungeon. After that, the boomerang becomes useless except to solve puzzles throughout the game. It is because of the collapse of the core gameplay (the swordplay combat), that Zelda is now seen as Aonuma as running from one dungeon to another to just solve puzzles and get a new item. Aonuma is bored with that. This is why we get pirates, wolves, and trains now in Zelda.

And this is why I suspect Sakamoto has strayed soooo far off course. Since the definition of Metroid stopped being about platforming and shooting and became ‘get item X to pass through obstacle X’, he has gotten very bored and seeks to ‘spice it up’ with dialogue, cutscenes, ninja style moves, etc. etc.

You needed above average platforming and shooting skills in order to beat Metroid. These skills were not as important for Super Metroid. Super Metroid still had parts of the core gameplay which is probably why the game doesn’t get old. After Super Metroid, those skills became even less important. The core gameplay skeleton slowly whittled away and Sakamoto threw in more ‘narrative’ junk to compensate.

Let me put it this way. Take away all the cutscenes, ninja moves, silly puzzles, and even some of the intentionally too numerous boss fights for Other M. Just stick to the core gameplay. Is it enough to carry the game? No. Aside from people’s complaints with the controls, it isn’t really that fun how the action gameplay was composed. It is because of this weakness which is why all the other junk (cutscenes et all) were thrown in.

A strong game has a very strong core gameplay skeleton. NES Metroid had no cutscenes, no dialogue, no ‘maternal instincts’ (you didn’t even know she was a girl), and relied almost entirely on its core gameplay. And the original was a phenomenon. Super Metroid also didn’t really have many ‘doodads’ added to it like ‘cutscenes’ and all. For the most part, Super Metroid relied on its core gameplay. As Sakamoto took over, the Metroid games have seen their core gameplay become more and more watered down with the doodads of cutscenes, ninja moves, more mini-bosses, and all increase. Now we are at the point of Other M where all we have is like 90% doodads and 10% core game.

If you have a timeline, on one side with Metroid you have the core gameplay being very much needed platforming and shooting skills. On the other side of the timeline with more recent Metroid games, the gameplay is more defined as ‘get item X to get past obstacle X’. Super Metroid is trapped in the middle as if it was a link in that evolution (or de-ev0lution). So Super Metroid is head and shoulders above other Metroid games. But to someone like me who is used to Metroid, Super Metroid feels like a decline. And games like Fusion and Zero Mission come across to me as unplayable because I fall asleep doing the ‘get item X to move past obstacle X’. Someone younger than me might think Super Metroid is ‘yay!’ and sense that Fusion and Zero Mission are ‘good’ but not as great as Super Metroid. We just have different expectations of the core gameplay.

This is also my chief complaint about Mario and Zelda. From my perspective, Zelda is about swashbuckling combat in a rich overworld where items assist you in the combat. In the most modern Zelda, the game is about puzzles, bad dialogue, and items to be used in the Puzzle-of-the-dungeon. I fall asleep playing modern Zelda games. So from those two poles of early Zelda and late Zelda, you can see a decline in the core gameplay and an increase in the doodads. In Mario, it is the same complaint. 2d Mario people didn’t transition to 3d Mario mostly because of a radical core gameplay shift from platforming to reach the end of a level to ‘use-a-gimmick-to-find-the-stupid-star’.

The reason why I think the fundamentals keep being less and less with each game incarnation is because they are ‘not fun’ for the developers. However, doodads are TONS of fun. It is so much fun for Sakamoto to make ‘cutscenes’. It is not fun for Sakamoto to make a rich maze-like world centered on platforming and jumping. Water flows through its least resistance. The willpower of game developers tend to flow towards areas where they do less work and have more personal fun. This could be a reason why Miyamoto was heavily resisting making another 2d Mario game for example. And this is why Sakamoto has no interest in making another game like Super Metroid. What you find awesome about Super Metroid, he will think is stupid and ‘repetitive’. Repetitive for whom? Why, for Sakamoto of course! Cutscenes are not repetitive for him, however. Yet, cutscenes are repetitive for the audience.

Going back to NES Metroid, it is not a hard game if you take your time and go slowly. You are much less likely to slip into the lava or get caught up with enemies hitting you. But if you move fast, the probability of you dying increases greatly. This is why the ‘faster time to beat the game’ worked. It wasn’t about cutting time as it was about forcing you to risk death more.

I find replaying Super Metroid to ‘get a better time’ to be very repetitive because of the lack of surprise. The enemies might slow me down from moving from room A to room B, but the enemies still are not a threat to my life. This is Metroid, not Sonic the Hedgehog. Metroid was an extremely scary game. You would get butterflies in your stomach when approaching a boss. Metroids would scare the hell out of you. I was never scared at all in Super Metroid except maybe with Phantoon. When first playing Super Metroid, as soon as I saw a Metroid, I turned around and ran away! They scared me that much. But with how pathetically they died, it didn’t feel the same.

I think there are tons of bad design choices made in Super Metroid. Let me give you a couple of examples. In NES Metroid, what was so awesome was how the context of the game changed depending on what item you got. When you got missiles, you had to think of the game a little differently than you did before. When you got bombs or the ice beam, again, the context of the game shifted. That area at the beginning where you walked over the blocks could now be bombed. You had to re-process this with the new context. Getting slowly killed by heat? You don’t know you need the Varia Suit. But once you get it, aha!

Super Metroid did do some of it right. The grapple beam was fantastic as was the dash. However, did we really need super missiles? It is the same exact context as regular missile. All it does is open up green doors. Ooohhhh. And ditto with the power bomb. We already had bombs, so how did power bombs alter our context? It didn’t. It was just to blow up a different type of brick. But the grapple beam was very different. So was the Space Jump (but that originated from Metroid II). Some of the new items were not that good and should have been used as items that altered the context of the gameplay. Imagine how dull it would be if there was a Super Screw Attack. Well, you have one screw attack. Why do you need another? To get through some different colored bricks? This is why the Varia Suit was cool, but the Gravity Suit was overkill. We don’t need two items using the same context.

Here is another example. Entertainment is dependent on surprise. What made the finale of NES Metroid so memorable was the surprise. The final stage of the game, you expect extremely difficult level with an extremely difficult boss. This was standard in all games. But Metroid twisted it up. The final level was very, very easy, but it was the few enemies that were crazy scary (Metroids). And the final boss was extremely passive and didn’t do anything (Mother Brain just sat there). It was the room that was so hard! It was the most dangerous room in the game!

Super Metroid constantly relied on a player’s experience of NES Metroid in order to create surprise (a mistake I believe). The miniboss of Kraid resembles NES Metroid but then he fills the screen when you meet the real Kraid. (It’s like you expect the developers to jump out from the back and yell “Surprise!” like a Surprise Birthday Party). With Motherbrain, it starts off resembling NES Metroid. But then Motherbrain turns into… a gigantic T-rex! WTF! Talk about out of place! Who came up with that stupid idea? And it went against the spirit of the original by having ‘dangerous room, passive final boss’ to a more generic final boss battle.

Regardless, the only way for the Metroid series to recover is to drop the ‘doodads’ (cutscenes, other characters, etc.) and focus on the core gameplay, on the fundamentals. If you ask Sakamoto to make another Super Metriod, what you will get is Fusion 2 because “Maternal instincts, cutscenes, and ninja moves are the Metroid experience, Malstrom!” Sakamoto says.

Super Metroid has more in common with Metroid than it does with Fusion or even Zero Mission. We know Nintendo is looking to make another 2d Metroid. If we do not want to get stuck with another Fusion, we should focus Nintendo’s eyes on NES Metroid. After all, that is what the makers of Super Metroid did. If you want another game that can measure up or surpass Super Metroid, the NES Metroid has to be an important factor (we got games like Fusion because Sakamoto dismissed it as ‘repetitive’ as he shoved in dialogue, cutscenes, and ninja moves).

I used to think the reason why games as good as the classics were no longer made was because of the lack of talent. Ever since Mario 5, I know now the answer is the lack of willpower. Strong fundamentals are boring for developers to work on. Instead, we get strong doodads which is fun for developers but repetitive for the gamers.

Dear, Malstrom

Thank you for posting the email containing the Metroid: Other M video showing Ridley’s introduction.  That video has shown me the game is not worth purchasing.  Samus has a flashback to when she was a little girl and Ridley killed her parents, but since then she has chronologically defeated Ridley five times.  Once in the original metroid (well twice if you count Zero Mission, but I don’t), Metroid Prime and Super metroid. And Twice in Metroid Prime 3.  It is just stupid.
I hate how Sakamoto’s cultists drink their kool-aid and pretend that the Prime games don’t exist or don’t count and think Retro is a third party studio not owned by Nintendo.  They say things like made a decision after you play it or remember what happened when Nintendo let Retro make Metroid.  I recently played through the Prime trilogy again and it is Metroid in 3D, unlike how 3D Mario is about a scavenger hunt while 2D Mario is fast arcade action.  I only came into the Metroid series with the Prime games, but since then I have played the original and super metroid (which is really easy.  To beat the bosses all I had to do was stand still and spam missiles.) I think I have a grasp of what Metroid is. Metroid: Other M (I just realized if you abbreviate the title it spells MOM) is not a Metroid game. It is not even a joke.  Duke Nukem forever is a joke, Natal is a joke,  the Mario and Zelda cdi games are jokes, MOM is not a joke.  It is an insult. It is an abomination and a desecration. It is Sakamoto saying only his artistic vision of Samus showing her maternal instincts matters.  Gunpei Yokoi must be rolling in his grave. I hate the game and Sakamoto as a game maker. And the game is not even out on store shelves, that is how much he fucked up!  And I know I am not alone.
This review of Other M is probably the most accurate (which surprised me since it is from X-play): http://g4tv.com/games/wii/61992/metroid-other-m/review/
I hope this is a wake up call to the Nintendo executives that Sakamoto is insane.  I hope Donkey Kong Country 4 outsells Metroid: Other M by years end.  DKC4 will be out in the market for 40 days and MOM will be out there for 4 months but I think DKC4 has a good chance.  I would love to be in the room with the Nintendo accounts analyzing the sales data and writing the 2010 financial statements and see Retro’s game get higher sales than Sakamoto’s game (knowing how much Sakamoto hates the Prime Trilogy).  It would be wonderful to see Sakamoto to retire, either forcefully or as his own personal choice and it would also be better for Metroid and Nintendo.  I can probably write a wall of text full of bile but you get the idea.
I will buy DKC4, unless Retro puts in cutscenes where Diddy has inner monologues about how much Donkey Kong is like a father to him LOL. I hope Retro is allowed to reboot Metroid, I would like to see a game where Samus travels to different planets and hunts bounties for money to buy upgrades.
Malstrom thank you for posting that email and if that emailer who sent the video is reading this, you also have my gratitude. If it wasn’t for the two of you I would have bought Other M and contributed to Sakomoto’s sick vision of Metroid.  Words cannot express my gratitude.

Malstrom keep up the good work.

Yours Truly,
A Grateful Reader
Well, Nintendo is definitely going to hate me now! Someone is saying that I am responsible for them not buying Other M.

I bolded the lines in your email because I thought it was very interesting how you go into the Metroid series through the Prime games. I don’t see how to make Metroid in first person view better than how Retro did it. We should remember that Miyamoto defined Metroid Prime to being first person perspective. Just maneuvering through a 3d environment was considerably more challenging than a mere 2d environment. I think the Metroid fan who doesn’t like the Prime games are reacting negatively to the difficulty (which is non-existent in most of the 2d Metroid games). You’re right with Super Metroid that you just stand there and spam missiles. Probably the only challenging boss was Phantoon.

The X-Play review of Other M is very interesting. There are not many girl players who play Metroid. If Metroid was to grow, getting girl gamers would be a very important step (which could be a reason why the game is about ‘maternal instincts’). If Abbie finds the content insulting, this is bad news indeed. You can tell Abbie was frustrated in trying to explain why she felt so repulsed by Other M. The ‘feminist’ label people keep putting on her I don’t believe is accurate. I do not believe her hostility is the result of the game not being ‘feminist friendly’, but rather she felt so much hostility to the game and couldn’t figure out why, so she comes out with the ‘submissive’ complaint. I think she was so overwhelmed with her negative reaction that she had problems trying to explain WHY she felt so negative.

Other M just doesn’t FEEL like a Metroid game. Why? It becomes difficult to place into words.

Sakamoto cultists are dodging the problems of Other M by continually demonizing a single reviewer. I know how it feels as they demonized me back then instead of dealing with the reality that Sakamoto was saying CRAZY THINGS such as Metroid being about ‘maternal instincts’.

You can rest assured that DKC4 will outsell Metroid CDi. It was pretty funny how Metroid Prime outsold Sakamoto’s ‘Metroid 4′ (Metroid Fusion) as those two came out at the same time. I don’t think we have to worry about Retro putting in inner dialogues of the feelings of Diddy Kong in how he relates to the world.

On a recent trip through Austin, I took this photograph of a mysterious truck unloading cargo in front of Retro Studios. Let us have a look:

Prior to E3 2010, I was wondering why there were so many banana trucks stopping at Retro Studios. Now we know why…

Perhaps I should hang out at the zoo and see if any Retro employees are out there photographing the monkeys for ‘inspiration’.

Don’t they know DKC 4 is coming out for Wii, not the DS? Stupid monkeys!

Sean,

Great insight on Metroid. I hope that people with influence at Nintendo
and other game companies read how this whole thing played out on your blog.

I found your comments about “comfort games” to be especially
interesting. It’s a descriptive and useful term, and now that you frame
it that way, it brings lots of other games to mind. Super Mario World is
one. There is plenty of good content in that game, but no challenge. It
is not a bad game, but replaying a game like that is more about killing
time than anything else. Mario Kart is only Nintendo’s biggest cash cow
because they struck gold with a multiplayer formula. It could have been
a great single-player game too, but it’s not … it’s a comfort game in
single player, and it would have died long ago without its multiplayer
component. I am curious to know what other games you consider to be
“comfort games.”

In the early days of consoles, most games were either ports from the arcades or they were heavily influenced from the arcades. I cannot recall any comfort games on the Atari 2600. On computers, the games there were pretty taxing either because they were emulating arcade games or would hit you hard intellectually (such as strategy games or the old adventure games where you are constantly typing).

I’m trying to think up some for the NES. The only one that comes to mind is Dragon Quest. With Dragon Warrior, I remember how much of a different experience it was from other games. NES games were mostly either shmups or platformers, and they all had arcade-like gameplay. But with Dragon Warrior, you could just sit back and hit a button and ‘phase out’.

“A slime draws near!”

“Command?”

“Attack!”

“Slime attacks!”

“The slime misses! No damage hath been done!”

“Command?”

“Attack!”

“The slime has been defeated! You get 4 experience points! You are the master, Malstrom!”

While the game didn’t say that last sentence, it did sound like it though! I was once really sick, the type of really sick where you can just watch TV and can’t really play video games. However, I discovered I could play Dragon Warrior. How hard was it to just press a button and read text? The more time I put into the game, the more powerful I got! I could just walk around in circles, and I would eventually level up. The only way how you could not win in Dragon Quest is if you didn’t put in the time. The game had no real ‘skill’.

I remember having the information poster (that came with the exclusive Nintendo Power deal) that had all the stats of the monsters of the game and where they would appear in the game world. It was so much fun.

But it was fun because it was different from the other games. It was a great game to play when you were sick. Perhaps the comfort game began with the JRPG?

Final Fantasy I was no comfort game. That game was constantly taxing you and very stressful at parts.

How about Shadowgate? I guess it could be if you’ve already beaten it. But the game was scary, and you would constantly die.

The Lolo games? No way.

Tetris? Nope. That game got faster, faster, and faster on you!

Zelda I? Zelda II? No way.

Comfort games began to emerge from JRPGs and blossomed through the adventure games. Although I think many PC strategy games, when played at a low setting, could be a comfort game. Civilization, Railroad Tycoon, Sim City could be played as comfort games. Perhaps this is why the market shifted toward real time strategy as that could not be played as a comfort game (until later RTS games came out which became slower and, as such, the RTS genre got less popular).

The latter Zelda games are definitely comfort games. How can you die in Wind Waker or Twilight Princess? Link to the Past might also qualify due to how easy it is.

Clearly, JRPG games are ‘comfort games’. Final Fantasy, which was certainly not a ‘comfort game’ on the NES, became a comfort game series on the SNES. Who was challenged in Final Fantasy 4 or 6? Let me do my imitation of the final battle for Final Fantasy 6. Ahem…

“Ultima!”

“Ultima!”

“Ultima with Magic Box!”

And there it is. I’d have to replay Chrono Trigger to see if it is. It probably is.

With perhaps the exception of Ultima 7 Part I and II, the Ultima series isn’t. There is too much note taking and map making. Ultima 8 and 9 are quasi-action games (much to the disappointment of Ultima fans).

Wing Commander? Hell no.

Star Control 2? Maybe.

F-Zero GX? NO.

World of Warcraft? DEFINITELY. Holy cow, that is probably the mother of all comfort games. The loot is designed to be given out based on time invested. So raids have the best loot not because it is the hardest but because it requires the most time invested from the player.

This whole Sakamoto thing is fascinating. The whole industry is really
beginning to define itself, isn’t it? Quite possibly more through its
failures than its successes. You never used to hear about game
directors. It was all about publishing companies. If you bought a
Nintendo or Capcom or Konami game in the NES days, you were almost
guaranteed quality. The individuals working for those companies were
irrelevant. Only game geeks knew who Miyamoto or Kojima were. Nintendo
or Konami certainly never did anything to publicize them.

This is a good point. I don’t know when or how the ‘game god developer’ started. I stopped playing console games around near the end of the 16-bit Era and reappeared with the Wii. It wasn’t around at the end of the 16-bit Era. But was prevalent when I returned to gaming. So something changed.

Now there is a complete reversal. Not sure if you ever watch videos on
Wii’s Nintendo Channel (heaven knows why I do considering they rarely
talk about games that aren’t already out). But there is tons of footage
of Sakamoto talking about Other M. Recently they published a special
that was something like ten minutes of Sakamoto and some other guy
giving subtitled talks about the most inane crap you could imagine. And
the Iwata Asks things are great to watch if you don’t like yourself very
much.

Good thing I don’t have the Nintendo Channel. I’m one of those people who aligns his habits to avoid advertising. For example, I don’t watch TV, and I haven’t for around a decade now. If I need to watch something, I have Netflix. Screw the advertisers!

And the Nintendo Channel seems like just one big huge commercial. People say “So was Nintendo Power!” But Nintendo Power didn’t have advertising unlike other game magazines. Nintendo Power cleverly excited people about Nintendo games by educating them about the games. I would see pages filled with wonderful maps, level layouts, and tips. I would find out detailed information about a game I had never played. It was these strategy guides that got me interested in playing games I had never played before. It was like, “Since I read this feature, I feel as if I can already beat this game. So I might as well rent/buy it and see if I can!”

Come to think of it, the strategy features gave me a taste of how the game design was and how the game worked. For example, if I knew beating Metal Man would give me a weapon to shoot from any angle and would be useful against killing Wood Man, this told me much about how the game played. In order to figure out if I should try out a new game, I would read the strategy feature on it. Today, we get crappy reviews and fake previews. For a real life example, people got more interested in Starcraft 2 after watching pro games and listening to tips from Day[9] or someone else.

I much prefer this than the developer interview. Who the hell cares about the developers? What they should be doing is interviewing the customers. Let customers say how the game adds to their life, how they play with the game, and perhaps even have me watch them play the game.

Would you rather watch Miyamoto blabber about Mario 5 or watch someone from the street play Mario 5? I always chose the latter. I can relate to the customer, and I want to find out about the game experience. Developer interviews do not tell me anything about the game experience.

Although I do find Sakamoto interviews very entertaining because I find myself just sitting there, with my mouth hanging open, in complete shock everytime he has an interview. He says something insane like ‘Metroid is about maternal instincts’ to ‘Other M is a NES game’.

It is bizarre! Why are we seeing this? Does everyone at Nintendo have
hopes of becoming famous? I think it is indicative of the shift in focus
that you have been talking about–from player to developer. They seem to
think we are fascinated by the process of creating video games. If their
collective egos inflate any more, that whole place is going to explode
like Chernobyl.

I think this is the fault of the marketing. Many of the developers probably don’t even want to be there. I can guarantee book authors don’t want to do ‘book signings’. Authors hate being in public which is why they are authors in the first place. But publishers make them do it because they think it will sell books. Movie stars will appear on late night comedy shows to talk about their latest movie. You know they don’t really want to be there, but it is believed it will sell more movie tickets.

So what will happen is that directors will create games, not studios. It
will be just like the film industry. My friends and I went to see
Inception because Chris Nolan directed it. And just like the film
industry, developers will see the disadvantage of all this individual
attention–consumers have zero loyalty to individuals. When things go
bad, organizations get off much more easily than individuals do. Sega
has released so much utter garbage that it is shocking that their decent
games sell at all. Meanwhile John Romero had one big failure and
completely lost any respect that anyone had for him.

I am sure Sakamoto will regret all of the time he spent blabbing in
front of a camera with his stupid hair. I can guarantee Nintendo won’t
be using him to promote Metroid next time. Hopefully it goes beyond that
into a wake up call to everyone there–we don’t give a crap about the
innards of your company, Nintendo.

You make a great point that people root behind companies and not individuals. People will root behind Nintendo, even buy a game because it is Nintendo made, but you don’t see them root behind Miyamoto. I still don’t see anyone say, “I am buying this game because Miyamoto made it.” Instead, I see, “I am buying this game because Nintendo made it.”

PC games tried with individuals like Lord British or Sid Mier. But Origin ended up becoming more well known than Lord British (who became known more for the fictional character), and people talk about Firaxis or Microprose more than they ever talked about Sid Mier. This is probably a good thing since video games are a group effort. The only times when a name stuck and the company didn’t was if the game was just made by one person. Randy Glover and Jumpman or Andrew Braybrook and Paradroid.

Music #62 - Silver Surfer

Hey there Malstrom,

though I’d send you an email showing my MOM (Metroid: Other M, really liked this acronym the reader from the “Thank you Malstrom” email) impressions. I played through the game this weekend, my friend got an early copy of it. I knew the game would be bad, but thought “what the hell… I’m not even paying for it!” so went for it.

Is the story bad? Oh yes, it’s awful, but to me this is the smallest fault of the whole package. Had this game been NES Metroid or Super Metroid, albeit with a bad story, I’d be thrilled. However, nothing could be further from the truth: I’ll break my points in topics to make an easier reading:

• Linearity: to me, this is the worst mistake of the game. Sure, in your last posts you said Super Metroid is linear and I agree with you (face X obstacle, find X item, go through X obstacle, rinse and repeat), but MOM takes this to unbeliavable levels. Doors closing up right behind you are commonplace in this game, and a yellow square ALWAYS shows up telling you where to go. It’s absolutely impossible to get lost, unless you are unexperienced with this kind of game — even so, you never spend more than 5 or 10 minutes to get back in track.
  • No exploration: all items are shown in the map as blue flashing dots. This essentialy negates any exploration, since you can blast through each and every room (not even bothering with the enemies, which I’ll mention later) only stopping when these dots pop up. When it happens, finding the item is usually just a matter of searching the nearest vent or quickly peeking the room in first-person view.
  • Lame items: this sides with the previous complaint to make exploration completely pointless in this game. First, all items are shown on the map for you, and second, they’re incredibly lame: all you can find are missile expansions, energy tanks, energy parts (these are like “heart pieces” from Zelda), concentration stuff (which make you recover an additional e-tank when you “concentrate”) and accel chargers (which make you charge beams and missiles faster). Since enemies are very easy, all the energy and damage-related items are redundant — you don’t need them at all. The missile expansions, while somewhat useful, are not that desperately needed as well.
  • Useless “key” items: significant items (like the Grapple Beam, Super Missiles or the only-authorized-in-the-final-boss-battle Power Bombs) are nothing but “keys” to solve puzzles, much like the newer Zelda games. The Grapple Beam, for instance, can’t be selected by any means, and is only triggered when you point to suitable objects in first-person view — therefore, you only get to use it while “platforming” around or in two very specific moments in boss battles.
  • Easy enemies: some people may say this game has “medium difficulty” or that it is generally easy with some hard parts here and there, but I myself feel it is a very easy game. Don’t even try comparing it with NES Metroid or anything similar — even Super Metroid is harder. Once you get used to the games’ controls it’s all a breeze: all you’ve got to do is run around, jumping and charging, turning fast into the enemy and shooting: repeat, repeat, repeat. The “dodge and charge” move takes cheapness to amazing levels: simply tap any direction on the Wiimote while holding the ’1′ button, and Samus will dodge any attacks AND fully charge a shot. Again, repeat indefinitely. If you’re not feeling like going through all that trouble, simple blast through the room spamming the shot button and jumping to dodge any attacks… you’ll only come to a halt when the doors lock around you for a boss battle.
  • No backtracking: any items you happen to be “authorized” to use don’t change gameplay at all. Since all doors but the ones that’ll make the story progress are closed behind you, it isn’t really possible to backtrack once you’ve got, say, the Super Missiles, and blast open the doors you couldn’t access before. Only AFTER finishing the game you return to the Bottle Ship and can “explore” freely — come on, now that I’ve already beaten everyone, what’s the point?
  • “Creative” areas: you guessed it — sector 1 is jungle, sector 2 is ice and sector 3 is the fire area. Seems familiar?

Like I said, the story is bad but it is far from being the worst point of the game, in my opinion. I finished the game out of curiosity and will never touch it again, simply because there aren’t any compelling reasons for me to do so. On a sidenote, I was reading the Gamespot forums and a lot of people were saying the game takes somewhere around 10~15 hours to finish (yeah, unfortunately today’s games are mesured in time units). I took 8:20 in my first (and only) playthrough, dying quite a few times and goofing around looking for items until I realized they were utterly unnecessary — what’s going on, are these guys only playing Mario Galaxy or what?

Best regards and keep up the great work, Malstrom!

Clearly, emailer, you are in the wrong. You must strive to understand Sakamoto’s imagination. I suggest you read the manga immediately. Oh, and read and reread Sakamoto’s interviews for the past six years until you truly understand his vision. And only read MOM reviews from approved reviewers. And… what else? Anyone saying anything bad about MOM is a secret spy working for Retro Studios.

LOL, I read some of his last posts, and now his tone against MOM is less raving, he's letting his fans doing the dirty work, publishing their letters.   

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW!