By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Monkey Talk

Syntax in Our Primate Cousins

A study carried out in Ivory Coast has shown that monkeys of a certain forest-dwelling species called Campbell's monkeys emit six types of alert calls. The primates combine these calls into long vocal sequences which allow them to convey messages about social cohesion or various dangers, including predation.

The study showed that males have a repertory of six types of alert calls (Boom, Krak, Hok, Hok-oo, Krak-oo, Wak-oo) but only rarely use them in isolation, preferring to produce long vocal sequences of an average of 25 successive calls (each sequence being made up of 1 to 4 types of different calls). Furthermore, Campbell's monkeys combine calls in order to convey different messages. By modifying a call sequence or the order of calls within a sequence, the messages are changed, and can relay precise information about the nature of the danger (a falling tree, a predator), the type of predator (eagle, leopard), how the predator was detected (acoustically, visually) but also about social events unrelated to predation (gathering before the group moves to another site, an encounter with another group of the same species at territory boundaries...).

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/12/091212144710.htm

Very interesting.  Its almost like they have a six phoneme (sound) language.

Around the Network

Amazing stuff.

I went to Paignton zoo last year and the Macaque enclosure had instructions of how to communicate with them by using about 10-12 gestures. It worked pretty well, I can't remember the gestures, but I do remember that they were using them quite well. When we used the gesture, they gave appropriate gestures back to us.

I don't know if it was trained behavior or natural behavior, but it was pretty cool.