By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Whats going on?

I'm no fanboy before any new members decide to point that finger at me.

I'm rather troubled by the latest Pro Evo 8 game. I was planning on considering a PS3 at maybe sometime next year. But comments like this on games which have been developed from the ground up for PS3 are steering me further away.

"The issue of slowdown isn't restricted just to the multiplayer portion of the game, either. Played in standard 720p (the game doesn't support 1080p), the single-player game is noticeably jerky whenever the action centres around either goal. It doesn't affect the game as much when running in standard definition, but it's bound to annoy fans of the game who remember a similar problem when previous versions were run in 60Hz on the PlayStation 2."

"Luckily for Konami, most players won't have the patience to stick with the online mode to find out if this is the case. The PlayStation 3's online offering is completely unplayable due to unacceptable lag and frequent disconnections that affected every single game we played. Players skip animations, balls jerk around in the air, and it's impossible to time sliding tackles, which means that a patch is critically needed before the game even begins to reach a playable level. Konami has issued a notice saying that it is aware of the problems and that it is working toward a solution, but at the time of release it's simply unfinished."

http://uk.gamespot.com/ps3/sports/pes2008/review.html?sid=6182062

And yet the 360 version has this said about it.

"However, the Xbox 360 version does have some bonuses over the PlayStation 3 iteration. Firstly, it runs in 1080p, whereas the PlayStation 3 doesn't even support this display mode and is jerky even running in 720p. Secondly, you can use a Live Vision camera to scan logos and faces into the game, although the results are somewhat low-res in the game."

"Lag still affected many of the games we played, and while it's nowhere nearly as bad as the PlayStation 3 version, the problems still need to be addressed. "  

http://uk.gamespot.com/xbox360/sports/pes2008/review.html

Your views people?

Around the Network

Developers focus on the best selling platforms, it doesn't makes sense to focus on ps3 development when is almost a lock that the game will have poor sales.

carlos710 - Capitán Primero: Nintendo Defense Force

"Wii are legion, for Wii are many"

That doesnt encourage me alot to buy 1.

It's not as bad on SD eh?

That would explain why some reviewers thought the slowdown in PES 08 was atrocious and others didn't notice it at all.

ioi said:
More descriptive thread titles in future please people.

Sorry, my keyboard is playing up works sometimes and others not. :(

Need a new one. Try to simplfy my thought.

Around the Network

As said before by many developers, the ps3 is just alot harder to develop for, and could be a while before its as easy to develop for. That and until sales pick up, not many people will want to develop for it

With regard to Call of Duty 4 having an ultra short single player campaign, I guess it may well have been due to the size limitations of DVD on the XBox 360, one of various limitations multi-platform game designers will have to take into consideration-Mike B   

Proud supporter of all 3 console companys

Proud owner of 360wii and DS/psp              

Game trailers-Halo 3 only dissapointed the people who wanted to be dissapointed.

Bet with Harvey Birdman that Lost Odyssey will sell more then Blue dragon did.

I suppose the online mode on the 360 being better is no surprise. For 40£ for the year access is nothing for trouble free gaming. You get what you pay for I guess.

I have referred to this a bit in other threads, but I didn't want to create one because I'd probably be called a fanboy for it.

Konami really screwed this game up, especially on the PS3. Many people are actually returning this game, and rightfully so. There's no excuse for launching a barely working game on consoles, where you (as a developer) have the benefit of being able to easily test your game on the target hardware...

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957