By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Super Mario Galaxy bombs in Japan - only sells 130,000 on day 1

BenKenobi88 said:
GameSTOP you mean.

Not trying to be an ass, but so many people get that wrong.

You mean they're not the same thing? 

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

Around the Network

Steve 3.2 said:

I'm going to hold fast with my prediction for the moment, though Galaxy does appear to be tracking a little more like Mario Party 8. (It too had first day sales around 100k+ and total first week sales of ~282K.)

So Mario Party 8 ended up with a almost 3x multiplier for first day --> first week sales.

That's quite significant. So if Galaxy tracks the same, it could end up around 400k. I guess that's not terrible.

Ahh well - guess we'll all wait a few more days, and see what happens.

All I know for now, is as a player nothing I have seen has dampened my enthusiasm for the game at all. I couldn't care less if it ends up selling 1 copy worldwide - as that copy would be mine :)

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

choirsoftheeye said:
You're wrong on this, as is wikipedia. Those were preorders from retailers, not from consumers. That means that they ordered 700,000 of them from Nintendo, and 700,000 of them are going to be on store shelves, not in user's hands.

Is this correct??  Edit: Apparently it is.

We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that they [developers] want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so the question is what do you do for the rest of the nine and half years? It's a learning process. - SCEI president Kaz Hirai

It's a virus where you buy it and you play it with your friends and they're like, "Oh my God that's so cool, I'm gonna go buy it." So you stop playing it after two months, but they buy it and they stop playing it after two months but they've showed it to someone else who then go out and buy it and so on. Everyone I know bought one and nobody turns it on. - Epic Games president Mike Capps

We have a real culture of thrift. The goal that I had in bringing a lot of the packaged goods folks into Activision about 10 years ago was to take all the fun out of making video games. - Activision CEO Bobby Kotick

Also, good review, although I certainly wouldn't give the first hour a 10. I would give it about an 8.5, as it was just way too easy, despite being a blast to play. That said, considering every single review source has said the game gets progressively harder to the point that it gets to be one of the most difficult 3D platforming games ever made, I doubt this will be a problem for me. The in the 1UP video review the reviewer admitted to one level taking 15 of his lives in under 3 minutes. Sounds like fun! I can't wait to play more.

This thread bombed. With such a controversial title, I was predicting 10 pages.

We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that they [developers] want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so the question is what do you do for the rest of the nine and half years? It's a learning process. - SCEI president Kaz Hirai

It's a virus where you buy it and you play it with your friends and they're like, "Oh my God that's so cool, I'm gonna go buy it." So you stop playing it after two months, but they buy it and they stop playing it after two months but they've showed it to someone else who then go out and buy it and so on. Everyone I know bought one and nobody turns it on. - Epic Games president Mike Capps

We have a real culture of thrift. The goal that I had in bringing a lot of the packaged goods folks into Activision about 10 years ago was to take all the fun out of making video games. - Activision CEO Bobby Kotick

Around the Network

fkusumot:
"God, I hate trying to read a thread and half of it is Sigs. For christsakes, DTEWI, NEOS, SORIKU and ISHY. If you need an idea of what an acceptable length is"

This site should really have a maximum sig length, it's totally out of hand. If that doesn't happen, some mod who is as annoyed by it as the rest of us are needs to start threatening people with long sigs so they cut them down.

sinha said:
fkusumot:
"God, I hate trying to read a thread and half of it is Sigs. For christsakes, DTEWI, NEOS, SORIKU and ISHY. If you need an idea of what an acceptable length is"

This site should really have a maximum sig length, it's totally out of hand. If that doesn't happen, some mod who is as annoyed by it as the rest of us are needs to start threatening people with long sigs so they cut them down.

I just did that to Soriku today and he cut his in half.  I'm quite proud of myself.  I didn't actually threaten him, but I did point out that it's hurting the readability of forum topics.  

to be honest, I think these current low sales are more than just simple seasonal differences. Japan sales are ALL low, no software at all is selling there. I think this economic situation there might be worse than we expect.

Help! I'm stuck in a forum signature!

fkusumot said:
tabsina said:
Does anyone know the first day sales of nintendogs, out of curiosity?

Nope. But First Week was 135k. Hope that helps.

yes, that does help, thanks 

Well, I'm glad something, anything, is being done to cut down on sig length. I've put it in the "site suggestions" a number of times. Glad you found something you liked in the review naznatips. I'll try to play through at least two hours next time.