By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Buy Konami shares if you want MGS4 to stay exclusive!

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601205&sid=a5PxAW9Ck70o&refer=consumer\

Konami Shares Fall After Delaying Release of `Metal Gear Solid'

By Hiroshi Suzuki

Nov. 1 (Bloomberg) -- Konami Corp., the Japanese maker of the ``Metal Gear Solid'' espionage action game, fell the most in almost four years in Tokyo trading after the company's delay of the latest installment prompted concerns earnings growth may slow.

Konami shares fell 6.8 percent to 3,160 yen at the 11 a.m. break on the Tokyo Stock Exchange, while the benchmark Nikkei 225 Stock Average gained 0.8 percent. Shares of Tokyo-based Konami had the largest drop since Dec. 8, 2003.

The company, which developed the game for Sony Corp.'s PlayStation 3 console, will sell the title in the second quarter of 2008, delaying from ``winter'' this year, Konami said yesterday. Earnings in the year ending March 31 were expected to be boosted by sales of about 1 million copies of the game, said Mitsubishi UFJ Securities Co.

``Investors were active sellers today because of disappointment over the delay,'' Mitsubishi UFJ analyst Hirotoshi Murakami said by telephone from Tokyo. ``It may be the company's strategy to boost earnings next fiscal year with the game software.''

The analyst has a ``strong outperform'' rating on the stock.

Konami on Oct. 29 kept its forecast for net income to rise 13 percent to 18.3 billion yen ($159 million) this fiscal year, while sales are expected to climb 5.3 percent to 295 billion yen.

You see right there? If this keeps up, Konami may have to port the game to keep the shareholders happy. And shareholder pressure WAS one one of the reasons RE4 was ported to the PS2.

GET THAT STOCK UP IF YOU WANT TO KEEP THIS GAME ON THE PS3! 

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Around the Network

do not buy, i repeat, do NOT buy.

=))

Neos - "If I'm posting in this thread it's just for the lulz."
Tag by the one and only Fkusumot!

Neos said:

=))

DITO

Neos said:

=))

I agree, DO NOT BUY... (Is the best for the gamers IMO)

On topic, I really doubt about the game staying as an Exclusive if you buy some stock, but, oh well...

The game was delayed, why??? The freaking cell or the user base... pic whatever you want...

By me:

Made with Blender + LuxRender
"Since you can´t understand ... there is no point to taking you seriously."

Agreed, do NOT buy this stock. Konami's heavy commitment to the PS3 (and almost non-existant Wii support) means they are in for some very rough days in the coming months. They essentially bet on the wrong horse in the race, and their financials are going to suffer accordingly until the company shifts direction. I expect further financial hits in the upcoming quarters, so buyer beware.

My Website

End of 2008 totals: Wii 42m, 360 24m, PS3 18.5m (made Jan. 4, 2008)

Around the Network

well, it would be the same for any company delaying a game ?

what about Rockstar with GTA4 delayed for 6 months ?

well, GTA4 is multiplateform, Xbot dont care ...

Time to Work !

The difference being that GTA4 will probably be selling to a user base of 25-30 million vs MGS4 selling to a user base of probably less than a third of that.

Fabius said:
Neos said:

=))

DITO

Totally agree.

Or maybe Nintendo could buy them :) 

Where is John Lucas? ;)

I hate trolls.

Systems I currently own:  360, PS3, Wii, DS Lite (2)
Systems I've owned: PS2, PS1, Dreamcast, Saturn, 3DO, Genesis, Gamecube, N64, SNES, NES, GBA, GB, C64, Amiga, Atari 2600 and 5200, Sega Game Gear, Vectrex, Intellivision, Pong.  Yes, Pong.

In fact, I suppose your wrong and Rockstar shares felt too.
If I remember well, before the Microsoft extra cash, Rockstar was in the red 6 months ago, a lot more than Konami is now.

Whatever, what I dont like the most is the title itself more than the information that, opposed to the title, doesn't talk about "the PS3 exclusivity".

Time to Work !