By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sonic the Hedgehog's New Look: Better, or Worse?

JMan said:
NintendoTogepi said:

Way to go Sega, you made Sonic look like a rat

Hey, in Sonic and the Secret Rings, the genie is always calling him a rat... Maybe that's the look they were going for.

lol nice

I loved that game, I dont see whats wrong with the latest ps3/wii model sonic. The oldschool sonic looked a bit pudgy to me, but what do I kno. 

Around the Network

Yea I think I like the original Sonic best. It is more endearing when he looks like he can't do any of the things that he does, much like Mario.

Sonic's always been "badass" (or at least tried to be). Even in the original Sonic, that's the look they were going for.

The iterations following that have merely stuck as true to the goal behind Sonic as they could go.

Remember, when SEGA released Sonic, they were aiming for someone "better" and "cooler" than an Italian plumber. Naturally, more "badass" follows suit.

SW-5120-1900-6153

thetonestarr said:
Sonic's always been "badass" (or at least tried to be). Even in the original Sonic, that's the look they were going for.

The iterations following that have merely stuck as true to the goal behind Sonic as they could go.

Remember, when SEGA released Sonic, they were aiming for someone "better" and "cooler" than an Italian plumber. Naturally, more "badass" follows suit.

He came off a little more "hip" than Mario because Sega marketed him that way.  I don't agree that becoming "badass" is the next logical step though.

For fun, who remembers the wagging finger?

I agree, I liked the pudgier Sonic better. In the PS3 version there does his quills almost look like dreads, or is it just me?

On that same note, I liked the old shorter and pudgier Bomberman too compared to the current tall skinny one (I won't even mention the 360 version... oops, just did).

Around the Network

Nobody cares about Sonic anymore. He's old news.

I didn't like how fat he was back in the Genesis era. I mean if he's running at supersonic speeds all the time, he's going to lose a LOT of weight.

The superstringy arms of the Dreamcast days annoyed me.

GC era Sonic = best.

There is no such thing as a console war. This is the first step to game design.

mr-money said:
Nobody cares about Sonic anymore. He's old news.

Obviously someone does or this thread wouldn't exist.

Smash Bros: 2363-5325-6342 

He was a stupid blue hedgehog designed by one or two losers, now he's an edgy stupid blue hedgehog designed by a team of losers. If an outdated videogame character becoming "tall and skinny" and looking like an "asshole" seriously bothers you that much...there are more important things to gripe about in the world then the appearance of videogame hedgehog's quills drooping or not.

Crusty VGchartz old timer who sporadically returns & posts. Let's debate nebulous shit and expand our perpectives. Or whatever.

I like the Sonic that's going to be in SSBB, he looks cool and tons better than the GC Sonic.