By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Backpat: Wii VS PS2

I was going through some hardware numbers and noticed some pretty interesting numbers:

PS2 @ End of 1st year: 7,357,952

PS2 @ End of 2nd year: 24,620,987

Just interesting to think that the Wii is nearing the end of its first year with probably around 13.5-14m or so (we shall in the next few weeks) and the current discussion going on in the sales section seems to indicate most folks think the Wii will finish its second year around around 34-35m (or 52m if you go by JohnLucas). 

PS - Keep in mind that end of first/second year is mid November not Jan 1st '08/'09. 

PPS - If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all.  As you will note the topic is "Backpat" and as such you are required to stay on topic

To Each Man, Responsibility
Around the Network

Hmm, that is interesting considering that the PS2 had the first year to itself and the Wii had to compete with the PS3 at launch as well as the already year old 360.

I have nothing else to say but kudos.

If the Wii/PS2 ratio is still about the same by next year, It would be pretty incredible.

I think that the Wii may have reached a saturation point, though (or will soon); a "terminal velocity" in how fast it sells. To keep up the Wii/ PS2's sold ratio, the rate they sell at will have to follow suit, and I think the rate of Wii's being sold would be too low.

I know that's kind of nonsensical, it was more kind of a speculative dialogue w/ myself that a reply...oh well.

Crusty VGchartz old timer who sporadically returns & posts. Let's debate nebulous shit and expand our perpectives. Or whatever.

so your saying that the wii will end up with over 100 Million at the end of the console race? ... because it had a worldwide launch.. compared to the ps2? or perhaps a 50$ difference in price.. + inflation?

just wondering what your point was with this thread.

Eh, sorry, I didn't even read the rest of your post. Just looked at the numbers and assumed you were building towards the conclusion that the Wii would have sold (second year) in the same amount the PS2 did from 2nd to 1st year. Now my first post is even more nonsense.

Crusty VGchartz old timer who sporadically returns & posts. Let's debate nebulous shit and expand our perpectives. Or whatever.

Around the Network

Now it's just a matter of keeping up the same insane numbers.

Currently playing: Civ 6

splatman1981 said:
so your saying that the wii will end up with over 100 Million at the end of the console race? ... because it had a worldwide launch.. compared to the ps2? or perhaps a 50$ difference in price.. + inflation?

just wondering what your point was with this thread.

I am saying the Wii is selling well relative to first year PS2 sales.  I thought that was clear by the OP   But if you need further explanation feel free to ask, I don't mind =)

This is why many PS owners think that PS3 will sell a lot more in his second year than the first year and call 2008 the year of the PS3.

konnichiwa said:

This is why many PS owners think that PS3 will sell a lot more in his second year than the first year and call 2008 the year of the PS3.

Actually that had more to do with the first 6 months being only out in Japan.

As far as LTD sales go its always been standard to compare against same timeframe for same timeframe, the logic is opposed by many but the basic idea is that the impact of the console is based on its entry to the market and it needs that initial burst to make a good run with both consumers and 3rd Parties.  In the case of the PS2 it had the landscape to itself making the early Japanese launch a lot easier on them, but even then the first year was good by most standards.

i honestly believe the wii is a completely different monster then ANY other console past or present. its a toy, not a machine...

with that in mind, the wii could sell billions and still not effect the rest of the market... meaning the 360/ps3 could sell 150m (combined).

the wii is a success! the 360 is burning where it belongs (RRoD), and the ps3 hasnt proved its worth to the masses yet.