By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Vote for the Top 100 Retro Franchises!

1) Super Mario Bros.
2) The Legend of Zelda
3) Commander Keen
4) Duke Nukem
5) Sonic the Hedgehog
6) DOOM
7) Quake
8) Mario Kart
9) Wolfenstein 3D
10) Castlevania

DOS games rule.

Check out my band, (the) Fracture Suit!!

http://www.myspace.com/fracturesuit

Have you been enslaved?

Around the Network

1) Mortal Kombat
2) Command & Conquer
3) Pokemon
4) Sonic
5) Fallout
6) Syphon Filter
7) MechWarrior
8) The Sims
9) Worms
10) Streets of Rage

Aww, only ten...damnit.

1. Legend of Zelda
Ocarina of Time is my favourite game of all time, and with amazing games such as A Link to the Past, Majora's Mask, the original Legend of Zelda and Link's Awakening, I just had to place Legend of Zelda at the top.

2. Super Mario
My first video game was Super Mario Bros. I still remember the day I got it. A few years later I got Super Mario Bros 3, which is my favourite Super Mario game. I loved Super Mario World and Yoshi's Island, and Super Mario 64 was one of the games that got me into gaming again.

3. Chrono
It consists of only 2 games, but both are amazing so I had to include it. Chrono Trigger is in my Top 5, and it's the game that got me into JRPG's. I had tried Final Fantasy before but I thought the battles were so damn boring I couldn't stand it. Chrono Trigger somehow helped me get into turn-based battle systems and now I have zero problems with them.

4. Starcraft
It's only one game plus an expansion but wow, that game is amazing. Of all strategy games this on is closest to perfection. It got three unique races with their ups and downs, and the setting is fantastic. It's probably the game I've spent most time with.

5. Donkey Kong
Donkey Kong Country was the game I got with my Super Nintendo. I felt a bit disappointed at first, because I wanted the Super Mario World/Super Mario All-Stars bundle but I got DKC instead. After a few levels all disappointment was gone. I loved it. I remember buying a second controller the next day so I could play with my little brother. The other DKC games were good as well, but I prefered the Donkey/Diddy team :P
Donkey Kong 64 was superb, and I hate Nintendo for not releasing it on VC...

6. Final Fantasy
First time I tried a Final Fantasy game (can't remember if it was FFI or FFVI) I felt...yuck...I was a fan of Action RPG's such as A Link to the Past and Terranigma, and I hated to just stand there and wait for my turn, and I hated that I couldn't defend manually, or even move my characters. After playing Chrono Trigger I revisited FF, and I'm glad I did. Final Fantasy VI was...God's gift to man, it was brilliant. The characters, Kefca, the Opera scene, the music. Brilliant.
Final Fantasy IV, goddamnit was that game hard. But I liked it anyway, the story was good and it had good characters.

7. Command & Conquer
My family's old Win 95 computer was godawful, but I could play C&C on it ^_^. I don't know how much time I've spent on Red Alert, which is my favourite C&C game, and I loved playing multiplayer even though the computer AI sucked.

8. Tetris
Tetris, not much to say. It's a very simple game, but it's the work of a genius. It never gets old.

9. Metroid
I haven't played Metroid II, but the first Metroid and Super Metroid are so damn good I have to list it in my Top 10 anyway. I loved the exploring, finding weapon upgrades, finding new paths and Metroid has one of the greatest WTH moments. Samus was a...woman!? Wow.

10. Tales of
I don't see it making many Top 10 lists but Tales of Phantasia for the Snes was a really good game, and for a Snes game it was very impressive. The graphics were great, it had a song intro (!) and for a Action RPG fan like myself the battles was pure joy.
I remember some complaints about Tales of Destiny on the PSX using 2D graphics when every games should move to 3D. I'm glad they didn't. I've always enjoyed the character design of Tales, and ToD has an amazing cast. Stahn is one of the greatest heroes ever (XD). Another thing I love in Tales games is the humour. Phantasia was funny, Destiny was hilarious, as was Eternia. They also have a lot of fan service, and I love fan service.

That's it. Ehm, sorry for the long post...

Siko1989 said:
1. Super Mario Bros 3 (the best gaming experience ive ever had)
2. Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time (the best game of all time)
3. Double Dragon
4. Dr Mario
5. Castlevania
6. Sonic the Hedgehog (i have to put that on the list i mean it was awesome)
7. Ninja Gaidon (Nes version)
8. Megaman
9. Teenage mutant ninja turtles 2 (Nes Version)
10. Mighty Morphin Power Rangers (SNES Version)

Thanks for voting, but this list is about franchises not individual games. Do you want to keep that same list, but just say that is the franchises instead of the individual games you listed?

Seece said:
1) Mortal Kombat
2) Command & Conquer
3) Pokemon
4) Sonic
5) The Sims
6) Syphon Filter
7) Streets of Rage
8) The Sims
9) Worms
10) Banjo Kazooie

You've got The Sims in there twice. Did you mean Sim City for one of them, or do you just really like The Sims?

Around the Network

Okay, here we go...

1. Final Fantasy
2. Diablo
3. Donkey Kong
4. Super Mario
5. Pokemon
6. Spyro
7. Tales of
8. Sonic
9. Starcraft
10. Street Fighter

1. Xenogears
2. Tomba!
3. Gunstar Heroes
4. Sonic
5. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
6. Super Mario
7. Streets of Rage
8. Double Dragons
9. F-Zero
10. Megaman

Took me forever to narrow this down.....

I am the Playstation Avenger.

09tarheel said:
Seece said:
1) Mortal Kombat
2) Command & Conquer
3) Pokemon
4) Sonic
5) The Sims
6) Syphon Filter
7) Streets of Rage
8) The Sims
9) Worms
10) Banjo Kazooie

You've got The Sims in there twice. Did you mean Sim City for one of them, or do you just really like The Sims?

Oops! Edited

Just posting because this thread is now low down the page on my recent threads, want to keep an eye on it.

Good to see Streets of Rage getting a few mentions too.

1. Metal Gear Solid
2. Tekken
3. Final Fantasy
4. Super Mario
5. Gran Turismo