By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - EA Montreal shifting focus away from Wii games

^

*Looks at RE4 Wii edition sales*

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Around the Network

..looks at the 5 million it sold last gen.

Seriously? That game is suppose to mean something? A game that almost 5 million last gen... during a time Wii had no 3rd party games at all...

Avinash_Tyagi said:
^

In fairness, RE4 has sold much more on the HD consoles. I guess you could argue that adding co-op helped though.

On one hand Wii owners seem allergic to quality games when they (rarely) come out of a 3rd party. On the other hand most developers are so lazy and uninterested they don't even bother promoting even their good games. Frankly I'm getting pretty sick of both sides and their incessant bitching.

Wii owners: No good 3rd-party games? Gimmie a break. There are tons of 80%+ games even released this year on Wii and few sold. Sure the bigs names did ok, but almost all of my top Wii games year sold poorly or miserably. This is not a quality issue. But hey nobody ever even heard of them so it sort of makes sence.

Gaming companies: Use some of that hype machine and marketing you use on the HD twins on the Wii. You have a handfull of good games let people know about them. Also stop trying to cash-in with endless shitty ports or crappy casual games.

HD fanboys: Give it up the Wii is a fine platform when it is treated on parity. This has been proven time and time again. Also lets not forget that a the cost of making a Wii game vs a HD game is something like the difference between a DS and Wii game. Hint HD games cost a lot to make and most sell under 200k. Obviously there are blockbusters, but if you look at the release list and sales most non-high profile HD games meet a similar fate as un-marketed Wii games.

XBL: WiiVault Wii: PM me  PSN: WiiVault

PC: AMD Athlon II Quadcore 635 (OC to 4.0ghz) , ATI Radeon 5770 1GB (x2)

MacBook Pro C2D 2.8ghz, 9600m GT 512 iMac: C2D 2.0, X2600XT 256

lol... no. at best you overly defensive wii fans are reaching when you think its everyone else and not the system

Around the Network
letsdance said:
..looks at the 5 million it sold last gen.

Seriously? That game is suppose to mean something? A game that almost 5 million last gen... during a time Wii had no 3rd party games at all...

If an enhanced port of a two year game can sell that well, then there is a viable market on the Wii

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

noname2200 said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
^

In fairness, RE4 has sold much more on the HD consoles. I guess you could argue that adding co-op helped though.

RE4 Wii was a port of a game that was originally on the GCN, and sold very well, if a 2 year old port can do that, then the arguments about there being no viable market on Wii are false

LOL... you guys are trying so hard your now making up your own arguements! lol.

Avinash_Tyagi said:
noname2200 said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
^

RE4 Wii was a port of a game that was originally on the GCN, and sold very well, if a 2 year old port can do that, then the arguments about there being no viable market on Wii are false

yeah... because viable platforms get ignored... i guess the gamecube was the best choice to make a game last gen.

averyblund said:
On one hand Wii owners seem allergic to quality games when they (rarely) come out of a 3rd party. On the other hand most developers are so lazy and uninterested they don't even bother promoting even their good games. Frankly I'm getting pretty sick of both sides and their incessant bitching.

Wii owners: No good 3rd-party games? Gimmie a break. There are tons of 80%+ games even released this year on Wii and few sold. Sure the bigs names did ok, but almost all of my top Wii games year sold poorly or miserably. This is not a quality issue. But hey nobody ever even heard of them so it sort of makes sence.

Gaming companies: Use some of that hype machine and marketing you use on the HD twins on the Wii. You have a handfull of good games let people know about them. Also stop trying to cash-in with endless shitty ports or crappy casual games.

HD fanboys: Give it up the Wii is a fine platform when it is treated on parity. This has been proven time and time again. Also lets not forget that a the cost of making a Wii game vs a HD game is something like the difference between a DS and Wii game. Hint HD games cost a lot to make and most sell under 200k. Obviously there are blockbusters, but if you look at the release list and sales most non-high profile HD games meet a similar fate as un-marketed Wii games.

What quality games, don't say Madworld and extraction, those are not games that are going to sell well, they are very niche games with little mass appeal