By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Official Final Fantasy XIII Thread

darthdevidem01 said:
MORE IMPRESSIONS from Dengeki Review!!

http://bbs.ffsky.com/disp.aspx?ID=1702153&bid=54

More impressions from Dengeki:

The mystery that reveals itself slowly.

Based on the information that has been revealed before the release, there are many difficult terms and it seems at first that the story will be too complex.
However, if you are like me you need not have to worry. It's ok for you to not understand now.
The story starts off right at the climax and this perplexes people at the start but it is also this that means things interesting. The truth becomes clear slowly as the plot progresses and like a mystery novel, both player and characters learn more about the world together. As you play, you go "so that's how it is!" and sink yourself inself right into the plot. This is why it's alright if you're confused now.
Even though I'm (the reviewer) supposed to be providing information, I'm suggesting that you should just remain in the unknown and play the game in this state.
As the mysteries unravel like the ribbons of a parcel, the feeling is quite a special one.
After playing and looking back at the information that was presented, I can finally understand how it works (This line is a bit effy)

The feeling of playing an FF still exists!!

The system feels like what an FF game should be.
This is true for the way cutscenes are played out and the environments that players explore.
The feeling of playing the game and the whole atmosphere makes a player feel safe [you will feel that this is definitely a FF game].
Good loading times(almost non especially for battles) and good pacing.
This is what impresses me the most.
For a game that requires long playtime, even the basics have been done well.
As for battles, players can't do much at the start and battles are not that difficult. But as the game progresses, it becomes important for one to think before acting if you want to win.
It is something that I've never encountered in an FF before.
As you get more options in battles, you also have more to be concerned with.
It is almost impossible for you to win just by button mashing alone.
This is especially true for boss battles. If you head in without planning/act without thinking you will most likely be trashed.
To be honest, it is rare for me to encounter bosses that give you headaches in FF games.
A boss that appears to be impossible to beat at first may become very easy once you know the right way to tackle the battle. This need to come up with tactical solutions is a very charming feature for players who like to strategise.

Nostagic Growth System

The Crystalium system reminds me a lot of FFX's sphere grid and upon playing it really does feel similar. The lack of character levels, the way you increase stats and learn abilities is almost exactly the same as FFX's so players who have played FFX will find it familiar.
I liked the Sphere Grid a lot so the feeling that I get from this quick acquaintance with the system is a touching one.
The process of gaining CP and learning abilities/stats is fun.
Of course there's also the mission system, the weapons/accesories crafting and other secrets to make the gameplay more substantiable
This game is enough to last through till from year end to the beginnings of next year.

Note on Sazh.
Sazh looks like he likes fooling around but is in actual fact someone who is very concerned about his son (I think we all know this by now, poor fellow).
He has a lot of interesting lines during battles and make other characters more vibrant/alive.

Impressed and surprised by the overwhelming beauty

Although I've seen other playing Ff games I myself haven't played for a while.
The first thing that catches my attention was the beauty of the visuals.
Thing likes characters and buildings, the details in whatever that's visible in the paranoma really impresses me.
The cutscenes too are of the highest caliber. The way they're acted out and the music create an impact that jolts my body. Even thinking back on the scenes can make me all excited.
Even though it's not real, one wonders whether we can see what's in the FMV(or cutscenes) in the real world.
The music that accompanies exploration fits the largemess of the world, captivating the ears.
As the consoles evolve from PS1 to PS2 then to PS3, the same evolution is taken upon by the FF games and this can truely be felt in FF13.
I really wish I can forget about work and continue playing....

this made my day :)

Death is nothing to fear

All death means is a new destination

Around the Network

NEW SCAN: Each character's main role/job revealed
http://img706.imageshack.us/img706/7387/fuvrmhexjt.jpg

Death is nothing to fear

All death means is a new destination

Is there any spoilers in that review?

@Fab_GS

not really...not specific story spoilers

but if yo wanna avoid very very very minor spoilers, its not even a spoiler, just don't read the first paragraph

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

I'm more hyped than ever now.

Thanks Darth!

Around the Network

Those job scans are pretty awesome!

Vanille's the equivalent of a White Mage in this game = Pure awesomeness! :D

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

meh looks like i'l have to use vanille now

I just hope you can SWITCH characters like you could in FF10....that was so amazing & fun!

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Hope>Vanille>Lighting>Fang>Snow>Sazh

Why is Sazh last?

For me it goes.

Lightning> Vanille> Sazh> Hope> Fang then Snow

"Life is but a gentle death. Fate is but a sickness that results in extinction and in the midst of all the uncertainty, lies resolve."

@Darth

Hehehehe, Vanille will grow on you, just you wait! :P

But seriously, I think that the job system is interchangeable, meaning that all characters can take up different jobs. It would be a nice throw back to FFV days if that was true :)

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"