By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - 10 American Movies You Might Have Missed (But Should Check Out)

Well to be fair Kubrick has much better movies, this one was his last and maybe weakest but it's still worth watching in my opinion and a lot of people missed it.

Judging Kubrick by Eyes Wide Shut is like judging Coppola by Dracula.

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

Around the Network

I've seen The Royal Tenenbaums, No Country for Old Men, and Stranger than Fiction.
The Royal Tenebaums I enjoyed, and No Country for Old men is a decent movie.
I couldn't get into Stranger than Fiction though.

The Royal Tenenbaums is my favorite movie in a long time, I think Wes Anderson is really good his early stuff (Bottle Rocket and Rushmore) was ok, but since Tenenbaums he has reached another level of characters, dynamics, dialogues and style.

The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou is also a very good movie, not as good as Tenenbaums though.

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

ckmlb said:
Well to be fair Kubrick has much better movies, this one was his last and maybe weakest but it's still worth watching in my opinion and a lot of people missed it.

Judging Kubrick by Eyes Wide Shut is like judging Coppola by Dracula.

I'd never judge Kubrick by Eyes Wide Shut, it's the other way round: I judge Eyes Wide Shut by the brilliant quality of the movies Kubrick had created before (Paths of Glory, Spartacus, Lolita, Dr. Strangelove, 2001, A Clockwork Orange, Barry Lyndon, The Shining, Full Metal Jacket).

okr said:

I've seen all of them except Stranger Than Fiction and No Country For Old Men (I'll at least watch the latter one some time).

I liked Broken Flowers, Fear & Loathing, Being John M. and Rumble Fish. The Tenenbaums and Big Fish and Memento were okay, but they are overrated imo (especially Memento, which is not much more than the well done, but usual thriller in reverse).

I hated Eyes Wide Shut (not only because of Mr. Cruise, but he would be reason enough). I'll repeat what I said in your other thread about Irréversible: I think it was pretentious crap, but
I'll try to be a bit more precise this time: Directors such as Gaspar Noé (the guy who made Irréversible) are not Luis Bunuel, Federico Fellini or Akira Kurosawa, no matter how hard they try and wish.
Eyes Wide Shut was not Arthur Schnitzler, it wasn't even Kubrick, no matter how hard Stanley tried. He did not only waste some years on this movie imo, but probably also his life. Well, at least Kubrick literally gave everything for his movies and his dreams and created several masterpieces, unlike Noé and lots of today's laughable directors.

Rant over.

Gonna watch The Thin Man with Dick Powell & Myrna Loy now. Now THAT's an American movie everyone should watch, but I learned a long time ago that an irritating large percentage of the population hates black & white movies, no matter what, or at least anything that was created before the first Star Wars movie. (I'm not saying that this applies to the people posting in this thread, (Just a general observation).

Agree on the whole 'older films' point.

I too found Eyes Wide shut underwhelming, but I've watched it a few more times and it's grown on me more.  In the end though I did find myself wishing he'd gone with something like A.I. instead.  EWS had all the usual strong composition and use of colour tones, etc. I'd expect from Kubrick, plus a few delicious little scenes, but overall it just felt like he'd finally got around to a theme that he simply couldn't add much to.  As a long time married guy I can attest it was a very accurate portrayal of elements of your typical successful, educated folks marriage, but it just felt a little dull and small for Kubrick to be wasting his time on.

Still, he hit it out the park so many times I'd happily take a weak film from him vs some overhyped crap any day of the week.

I know what you mean about Memento, it's fiendishly good, but only because of the technique in many ways - otherwise, watched in order, you've just got your usual well acted thriller.  I did think Guy Pearce's performance was very good though - and really lifted the film.

Have you seen The Hurt Locker or Moon?  Any thoughts on those?

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

Around the Network

Good choices.

This makes me want to do an Aussie one for you guys!

Memento is one of my favorite movies, easily. Nolan often gets cast aside in film discussions because of the Batman duo, but Memento is absolutely brilliant.

Mostly great choices overall. Spike Jonze is an incredible director, but I'll also mention Charlie Kaufman as he's an under appreciated but terrific screenwriter (see Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind and Jonze's earlier film Adaptation for more of his work).

Quickdraw McGraw said:
Memento is one of my favorite movies, easily. Nolan often gets cast aside in film discussions because of the Batman duo, but Memento is absolutely brilliant.

Mostly great choices overall. Spike Jonze is an incredible director, but I'll also mention Charlie Kaufman as he's an under appreciated but terrific screenwriter (see Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind and Jonze's earlier film Adaptation for more of his work).

For the new generation of directors, Nolan is definitely near the top of the list.

Adaptation - very strong performance by Cage, Streep and Cooper but it's one odd movie. I didn't really get it. :x

MikeB predicts that the PS3 will sell about 140 million units by the end of 2016 and triple the amount of 360s in the long run.

Big Fish was so good. Not my favorite Tim Burton movie but awesome nonetheless.

saicho said:

For the new generation of directors, Nolan is definitely near the top of the list.

Adaptation - very strong performance by Cage, Streep and Cooper but it's one odd movie. I didn't really get it. :x

Oh, I agree with the Nolan comment, I'm a huge fan of his; it's just he often doesn't get the artistic recognition he deserves since he, for the past several years, has been working on two mammoth blockbusters adapted from comic-book material. To clarify, I freaking love the Batman films too , that's just a perception I come across quite frequently.

Yeah, Kaufman, and indeed, Jonze, have a very quirky style.
Kaufman actually wrote and directed a film last year titled Synecdoche, New York that was even harder to grasp. Still, I'd love to see more from them, they're always refreshingly unique and original.