By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Game Informer’s top 200 games of all time

GI fail list. OOT rated at #1 or at least in top 5 by every other publication for the past 10+ years, #20 on their list. Pure fail. GI = Game Ignorance

Around the Network
bardicverse said:
GI fail list. OOT rated at #1 or at least in top 5 by every other publication for the past 10+ years, #20 on their list. Pure fail. GI = Game Ignorance

So you're saying every list should more or less be the same? 

twesterm said:
bardicverse said:

So you're saying every list should more or less be the same? 

Just seems like a list made to spite the majority of other lists. =)

Having Majora's Mask below Grand Theft Auto 4 makes me question their judgment even more. o_O

Talega said:
starcraft said:
Wass said:
Metal Gear Solid 4 at 108. Laughable.

Don't hate.  Just because you don't believe the game is good enough to be so high up the all-time list doesn't mean GI has to feel the same way.

Dude, do u have a p s3?

Yes.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

Around the Network

So... Game Informer has a lot of JRPG fans then.

I mean... Tactics Ogre made the list?  I mean granted it's considered one of like... the top 10 games of all time in japan... but i'm always suprised when someone in the US even knows the game existed, let alone played it.

And, as for all the MGS4 talk... basically if video games ever evolve fully into their own medium as art...

MGS4 is more likely to end up on a list of worst games then best games.

Why? Well think objectively. What is MGS4 most acclaimed for? "It's just like watching a movie."

Name one movie that is widely acclaimed because "It's just like reading a book."

Or a book widely acclaimed because "It's just like a TV show."

A game that is just like a movie does not play to the strengths of the medium and unnecessarily constrains itself.  The fact that something is considered good because it copies another form shows either a limitation in the medium as a whole so far, or those judging it.

In the future most games seen as great almost undoubtedly will be be ones with no story, ones whose story are contained almost fully in the game play and ones who have very well done procedurally generated stories.

The almost complete lack of procedurally generated stories surprises me quite honestly. I could think of a number of ways you could pull it off and be and tell stories and be extremely effective.

Good list from GI.

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PLAYSTATION 3 : RPG FAN CLUB

Kasz216 said:

And, as for all the MGS4 talk... basically if video games ever evolve fully into their own medium as art...

MGS4 is more likely to end up on a list of worst games then best games.

Why? Well think objectively. What is MGS4 most acclaimed for? "It's just like watching a movie."

Name one movie that is widely acclaimed because "It's just like reading a book."

Or a book widely acclaimed because "It's just like a TV show."

A game that is just like a movie does not play to the strengths of the medium and unnecessarily constrains itself.  The fact that something is considered good because it copies another form shows either a limitation in the medium as a whole so far, or those judging it.

In the future most games seen as great almost undoubtedly will be be ones with no story, ones whose story are contained almost fully in the game play and ones who have very well done procedurally generated stories.

The almost complete lack of procedurally generated stories surprises me quite honestly. I could think of a number of ways you could pull it off and be and tell stories and be extremely effective.

That's exactly what I have been saying. Its gameplay is good, however there is just too much "movie" and I swear it's just slightly worse than The Spirits Within in quality... How can anyone consider this game to be good?

I too agree that story telling and gameplay need to be interlaced a whole lot which is the reason why I claim that Half-Life 2 has one of the best stries simply because of the way it is told.

Tag(thx fkusumot) - "Yet again I completely fail to see your point..."

HD vs Wii, PC vs HD: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=93374

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835

Whats with the crappy lists lately