By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - USD: When will it stop... falling?

What Wojtas said.

Can we also stop with the bush bashing, we all know you liberal hippies hate him, no need to continue your hatred on a gaming site.

Around the Network

When Bush is gone it will rise in value.

2008 end of year predictions:

PS3: 22M

360: 25M

wii: 40M

The problem has a lot to do with Bush. The deficit spending in general and the huge strain on the economy that this failed war is having on the economy is bad. It is sad that Bush has spent billions for things like a mercenary army (Blackwater) that drag the economy down while making the rich richer. Sad and tragic.

The dollar should strengthen when interest rates are raised.

Here in Europe I think we counterbalance two major effect:

- Exportation is very low due to the high value of Euro compared to US dollars and Yen (negative effect).
- Oil (raw) cost is much lower than the other countries, thus keeping the energy making cost lower (positive effect). 90$=63euros for a barrel of petroleum, which is high anyway!

I remember that the cost for a gallon of fuel in USA in 1999 was floating at 0.87-0.95$.

How much is it now???

Anyway, the positive effect here is that we can buy electronics stuff for a lot less than normal, importing it directly from Japan or USA!!

The US has been using mercenary forces since its first wars, you all act stunned that the current US government uses them, then you bash Bush on top of that, lol.

Around the Network

There is nothing saying that the US Dollar will stop falling ...

The US Federal Reserve (foolishly) has a dual mandate to protect the value of the dollar and to prevent economic downturns. The problem is that inflation is more publicly acceptable than a recession and the Fed has been running an inflationary monatary policy since the mid 90's to prevent recession. Now, there are two reason's people haven't felt the impact of inflation in the US; countries like China, Japan and Saudi Arabia have been proping up the dollar in order to increase their exports and in recent years the housing bubble allowed Americans to increase their rate of spending faster than their income rises.

With the housing bubble expolding the fed is now (very) worried that this will kill off consumer spending, and lead to an unpopular recession; this will lead to the fed lowering interest rates for the next several months. The result of this will be that the American dollar will drop much further and commodity prices will rise in American dollars to record prices; this will cause a new crisis and the fed will be worried that a $110 to $125 Barrel of oil will kill off consumer spending, and lead to an unpopular recession.

The US has been running away from a recession since the mid 90s and it won't work like it used to. Every step away from a recession at this point in time will be felt in the value of the dollar; eventually, if the dollar falls far enough (fast enough) centeral banks around the world will dramatically lower their holdings of American dollars which would be an unrecoverable shock to the value of the dollar.

@Griffin: It's funny how the only thing you have done so far in this thread was defending Bush. At least give some reasons why you disagree with the people who are blaming him! Otherwise, your contribution to this thread is precisely 0 (minus the "hippies" insult).

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Griffin said:
The US has been using mercenary forces since its first wars, you all act stunned that the current US government uses them, then you bash Bush on top of that, lol.

Who is stunned? Compared to the other policy choices Bush has made it's not stunning at all.

I like how everyone is bashing Bush for his economic policies and no one is bashing Congress who should be blamed most. All legislation goes through Congress and then needs Bush's signature, even more so almost all economic bills go through the House first.

So while Bush is a part of it, blame the whole GOVERNMENT not just the head honcho if youre going to bash and put the blame somewhere.

Even more so, Democrats are now in control of Congress, for about a year or so now. How come they havent fixed it like you all say Bush shouldve? Hm....

Brawl FC: 4382-1668-1880
Name:Brsch

Animal Crossing City Folk

FC: 2492-8227-9090           Town: McAwesom          Name: Gary

Add me and send me a PM with your FC!

jep, i dont think you will see the us-dollar or the us-of-america after 2040. rising instability will lead to civil war and several independent states. you can look this all up in the history book e.g. roman empire.
hopefully we dont get second medieval times ... wouldnt be so funny.