By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Gran Turismo 5, the first 20 million selling GT... maybe.

highly possible
gran turismo 5 will definitely outsell gt3

Around the Network
perpride said:
Everyone needs to stop tripping out on Modern Warfare. Not every big HD game is suddenly going to do wonders.

I would be EXTREMELY surprised if Gran Turismo 5 manages to do 10-12 million, never mind 20 million. If all the reasons the original poster put up end up happening, then maybe it will be able to hit 10 mill.

10m is a cakewalk.

Halo3 did wonders given the userbase it had. 

I am hard pressed to say that a driving sim will top a FPS as the top-selling title, when FPS titles have a larger market. Gran Turismo was big news when it came out and started selling. As of this date, everyone is trying to do driving sims, so I don't see it. Will it sell well? Yes. But not sure it will top 20 million. Is it going to top Mario Kart for the Wii, which is like over 18 million now?

Personally (and I posted this in another thread) I expect it to do ~8m units, and possibly up to 10m units. I think 20m is just way to many, but isn't impossible if you truly believe it will maintain a 30% attach rate and manage to achieve a 66m unit install base (in other words, you expect it to perform like Mario Kart Wii and continually sell a lot)

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

If you are going to post evidence that the userbase is actually not limiting the sales of GT5, then post ACTUAL EVIDENCE of this. We KNOW games can sell 10m or more on 30 million consoles. Show me a game that sold 20m on a 30m userbase, and I'll be happy.

This is invisible text!

Around the Network

I agree. I think this game will be very huge when its released.

TO GOD BE THE GLORY

richardhutnik said:
I am hard pressed to say that a driving sim will top a FPS as the top-selling title, when FPS titles have a larger market. Gran Turismo was big news when it came out and started selling. As of this date, everyone is trying to do driving sims, so I don't see it. Will it sell well? Yes. But not sure it will top 20 million. Is it going to top Mario Kart for the Wii, which is like over 18 million now?

Everyone is trying to do driving sims?  How many are there right now, 2 maybe 3 if you stretch the boundries of what a driving sim game is. 

Killergran said:
If you are going to post evidence that the userbase is actually not limiting the sales of GT5, then post ACTUAL EVIDENCE of this. We KNOW games can sell 10m or more on 30 million consoles. Show me a game that sold 20m on a 30m userbase, and I'll be happy.

Mario Kart Wii is on pace to sell over 20m, it had a starting userbase of 23.5M

Killergran said:

That is beyond ignroant, dude reread what you posted does that make any sense to you.

You are saying the PS3 user base wont increase at all. 

nordlead said:
Personally (and I posted this in another thread) I expect it to do ~8m units, and possibly up to 10m units. I think 20m is just way to many, but isn't impossible if you truly believe it will maintain a 30% attach rate and manage to achieve a 66m unit install base (in other words, you expect it to perform like Mario Kart Wii and continually sell a lot)

I do.

GT is in a league of its own, so not like Dirt4 will steal any sales.

Content wise its a long term game, you dont beat any resale it in a week.

Its succesr wont be out for years, if at all this gen.

No piracy, GT3 and GT4 were pirated quite a bit.

PS3 user base will increase greatly, every price cut has had a huge +++ affect.