By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is capcom losing their touch on the RE series?

With the release of Darkside Chronicles for Wii I started thinking about the RE series and thought to myself "capcom is f'ing up the RE series!"

I say this beacuse the originals had the element of fear in them. The music and scenery set the mood for terror but when I play RE5 it feels like I'm playing a slower version of DMC. There are no zombies just these guys running around screaming makkakule and whacking you with a pole or bottle, there aren't any real monsters that make you jump (The regenerators in RE4 give me chills) and the only challenge is fighting wesker (who isn't that hard to beat). RE4 didn't have zombies but it had that classic touch of creepy that kept me a little jumpy and some of the monsters were pretty scary (again the regenerators). My friends tell me that they feel capcom has lost the majic with the horror and that Dead Space is the survival horror series to watch. so do you think capcom is taking the horror out of the RE series?

P.S.

Darkside Chronicles look sick and I wish I had a Wii so I can fight REAL monsters again.

Around the Network

I think it's time for a reboot.

Rockstar: Announce Bully 2 already and make gamers proud!

Kojima: Come out with Project S already!

I dont think Mikami is a part of the franchise anymore. And he's the series creator I believe. So that could explain things a bit.

Bet between Slimbeast and Arius Dion about Wii sales 2009:

If the Wii sells less than 20 million in 2009 (as defined by VGC sales between week ending 3d Jan 2009 to week ending 4th Jan 2010) Slimebeast wins and get to control Arius Dion's sig for 1 month.

If the Wii sells more than 20 million in 2009 (as defined above) Arius Dion wins and gets to control Slimebeast's sig for 1 month.

That's because RE5 did F up the serious as you would put it haha. RE4 was a change for the series but for the best. Stuck to its roots while providing a system that worked much better. Not to mention it revolutionized the industry as a whole as it brought around the cinematic action genre (but it had horror aspects to it). But RE5 was a radical twist away from it as it took the horror out for mere gory and shock moments. More akin to Gears (which is inspired by RE4) than staying with the tradition.

I wish they would keep the RE4 style but stick along the same measures that RE4 stuck to which is at its roots. And of course not ruin the storyline like in RE5 would be nice. I'm still hoping out that RE5 turns out be a dream haha.

Yea and as Arius said, Shinji Mikami, the original creator, is no longer with Capcom. Last game he did was RE4. That definitely has something to do with it... at least storyline based.

Around the Network

Without Mikami they're lost. RE5 would have turned out way differently if he was still with the company.

Zucas said:
Yea and as Arius said, Shinji Mikami, the original creator, is no longer with Capcom. Last game he did was RE4. That definitely has something to do with it... at least storyline based.

Well I hope he comes back if they make another RE.

Yes.
The game isn't scary anymore. There is no atmosphere.

I prefer the older RE setting but i do like the co-op split screen setting in RE5. Tired of playing awesome games just to share and experience it with nobody.

yh they lost their touch right after re3, re4 and 5 r not even survival horrors games, and thats what the series is supossed to be about, i wish they came back to their roots.