By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Official Super Mario Galaxy Thread

Mario should have a new animated series based on galaxy. There was one for Mario 2, 3 and Mario World, but since then, nothing. What do you guys think, can't be any worse than what's on tv right now?

WiiU Network ID:  the_Ultros

PSN: Anthaleigh

Xbxox Live:  campblood1980

Around the Network

I can't take Mario's voice actor's voice in the title even so no I wouldn't want a tv show. Mario belongs in games not tv.

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

ckmlb said:
I can't take Mario's voice actor's voice in the title even so no I wouldn't want a tv show. Mario belongs in games not tv.

Why is Marios voice so high in the Wii Menu title screen thingie and in the start screen for Sunshine? It's way too high...I mean, go play New Super Mario Bros. His voice is like a lot deeper everytime he talks (close and open the DS if you're impatient to hear his voice).

I widely prefer that Mario voice to the higher one used in Sunshine and Galaxy.

Top 3 favorite games: Super Mario Galaxy, The Sims 2 (PC), The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker

Or Mario 64. Is it the same guy and he decided to go more high pitch since Sunshine or did they change Mario voice actors?

On a more important note, the Dark Matter Plant level before the second Bowser fight at the end of the bedroom set of galaxies is unbelievable. Best level so far, in fact the Bedroom galaxies are as a whole even better than the earlier levels.

And the music in the 2nd bowser fight? Final Fantasy style epic music, so good. The whole Dark Matter Plant level is just wow.

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

Ok, color me convinced on SMG. I hate platformers. There hasn't been a decent one since, well, SM64, lol. There have been so many cheesy platformers that have sucked HARD... Rayman anyone?

I bought SMG last night at TRU with the $25 gift card. I put it in expecting a ho-hum experience since again, I hate platformers... BUT, I looked up 2 hours later and realized this damn game is fun and is about as good as gaming gets.

The environments are imaginative, the art style wonderful, music and sound is awesome, great graphics, simple but understandable "story"... Overall, a true masterpiece. Miyamoto-san is clearly a video gaming genius and at the top of the food chain as far as I'm concerned. There is something about the wandering around the planets upside down, inside-out, that is at times almost nauseating, but completely engrossing -- so much so it completely replicates (or beats?) the feeling of sitting down with SM64 the first time with the ensuing WOW that came with it...

I thought Bioshock and possibly Mass Effect were GOTY contenders for certain, but this game, as an overall experience, is hands down the winner this generation. There are a few more games this holiday coming out, but if SMG isn't GOTY, it will be one of the greatest failures of the gaming media in recent history.

Again, Miyamoto is a genius. Period. God help Nintendo when he is gone for he IS Nintendo...

I hate trolls.

Systems I currently own:  360, PS3, Wii, DS Lite (2)
Systems I've owned: PS2, PS1, Dreamcast, Saturn, 3DO, Genesis, Gamecube, N64, SNES, NES, GBA, GB, C64, Amiga, Atari 2600 and 5200, Sega Game Gear, Vectrex, Intellivision, Pong.  Yes, Pong.

Around the Network

Another quick thought which deserves its own post (sorry for back to back)...

SMG is an amazing game. Period... I think Nintendo missed an opportunity here. They should have dispensed with Mario, Peach, Bowser, Toads, and Stars and substituted in something new. A new IP character to provide opportunities going forward for Nintendo to branch out on.

It could have been Hero X, Damsel Y, critter alpha, and galaxy bits that needed to be collected. The only thing remaining would be to dispense with the green tubes and put something else in place. Otherwise, overall, the story could have more or less remained the same but had new IP to work with in the futre. I believe it would have sold better initially. I'm hesitant to pick up anything Mario any more because he has been, in my opinion, overused...

I hate trolls.

Systems I've owned: PS2, PS1, Dreamcast, Saturn, 3DO, Genesis, Gamecube, N64, SNES, NES, GBA, GB, C64, Amiga, Atari 2600 and 5200, Sega Game Gear, Vectrex, Intellivision, Pong.  Yes, Pong.

kn, what was wrong with Rayman?! Rayman 1 and 2 are among my favourite games of all time.

kn said:
Another quick thought which deserves its own post (sorry for back to back)...

SMG is an amazing game. Period... I think Nintendo missed an opportunity here. They should have dispensed with Mario, Peach, Bowser, Toads, and Stars and substituted in something new. A new IP character to provide opportunities going forward for Nintendo to branch out on.

It could have been Hero X, Damsel Y, critter alpha, and galaxy bits that needed to be collected. The only thing remaining would be to dispense with the green tubes and put something else in place. Otherwise, overall, the story could have more or less remained the same but had new IP to work with in the futre. I believe it would have sold better initially. I'm hesitant to pick up anything Mario any more because he has been, in my opinion, overused...

That's the formula, fan service. Not to say what you are suggesting would not have yielded some results, just that's not the formula right now. Consider what happens when you take it too far in the direction you are suggesting ala Sonic. We did get Rosalina (hawt).

Charles Martinet has been the voice of Mario since Mario 64.

SeriousWB said:
kn, what was wrong with Rayman?! Rayman 1 and 2 are among my favourite games of all time.

Rayman and so many platformers like it just don't do it for me.  In my opinion, platform games almost always spend too much time being a "platform" and not enough time being a "game".  I thought rayman was ok for a while but it got old before I could finish it.  There were just too many repitions of the same gameplay whereas SMG and SM64 environments changed around quite a bit and seem more "world-like" instead of "platform-like" There have been so many platform games that have followed SM64, it is impossible to count.  None of them held a candle to SM64 and honestly, I think SMG is better than any previous platformer I've played.  Ever.  And I go back to pong...

I just singled out Rayman because of so many rehashes of the game game -- each failing to really be a excellent game in my opinion.  There are others I could have pointed out, too.... Spyro, Jak, Crash, Tak, etc. ad nauseum.  Each of these has had at least one version that was decent but several suckfests as well.  BUT, none of them hold a candle to SM64 or SMG.  I really don't like platformers at all.  I never really have, but I played SM64 quite a bit and had a good time.  SM64, to me, is even better...

I wish I could put my finger on WHY platformers have not appealed to me over the years, but they just haven't for some reason or another.  That's why I'm so amazed at SMG.  I'm hooked.

I hate trolls.