By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Gaming Overload?

Just wanted to start a little light-hearted thread on this... I have been a solid gamer for 20(?) years now - and I don't think I have ever been so *overloaded* with games as I have now. I find this even more amusing, as I don't play PC games (anymore - and haven't for years), don't own a 360 or a PS3. Most of my home gaming time is spent on the Wii - and most of my portable time spent on the DS. I try and spend other time reading, watching some TV (lost, heroes, news, etc..), following sport and so on. But in the last couple of weeks - things have gotten silly. Im going to have to force myself to STOP buying anymore games - at least in the time being (Paper Mario will be an exception :P). ... What games are overloading me at the moment, you may ask? Well - on the weekend, I picked up Sonic. Its not "great", but its good enough for me to play solidly. I also have ExciteTruck (and really enjoy it), WarioWare, Wii Play/Sports, Red Steel, Rayman (single player finished), Zelda, Pinball (and probably some other games). Of these, I am currently playing Zelda, Excite, Sonic, Wii Sports (multiplayer or when I get the chance). I just got Red Steel back.. and haven't even got time to think about it. To make matters worse... the Virtual Console titles (damn them! :>). I have about 10-15 of them, and several of them are occupying MUCH of my time (Zelda 1, Gradius, Galaga occasionally, Castlevania). ... To top off the overload, I also found/picked up a copy of Battalion Wars (GC) - for $30AU (about $20US excluding taxes). It still retails here for $90AU. Played a bit and loving it. ........ With consoles in particular, I like to "finish" games (completely) - and if the game is good enough, I like to "clean it out" (all secrets, medals, etc..). No chance of that at the moment... throw in the DS, and I'm completely overloaded!! Just struggling to find the time to play/finish Zelda (about 80% I think/hope.. :P). (Im not even going to mention a bunch of PS2 games bought and unopened - including God of War1...). ................ How is everyone else doing? Anyone else flooded with games to play? Or are you struggling to find something/anything to play??

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

Around the Network

yes i am flat out at the moment, between school and work and afl (footy) all i seem to have time for at the moment is my ds. Just picked up phoenix wright and trauma centre and they are both killer games. Not to mention still trying to find time to beat zelda and am only half way through gears of war. To top it all off whenever someone comes over all we play is wii sports. Scared of the games that are going to come/already out and devour my time(paper mario and dead rising im looking at you!)

i buy new games when the most of games i bought are finished. at the moment iam close to finish zelda, than red steel is the next. hopefully i already got "godfather: blackhand edition" than :) the main problem is the time ... i must go working to buy games ...

I’ve been playing for games for just over 17 years and I’m in the same situation. Last generation I had all 3 home consoles, a GBA, and a gaming computer. That certainly isn’t happening this time (and not just because the non-computer part is almost $1,800 just for the systems). I haven’t had difficulty not buying console games for a couple years anyways. Right now my trouble is with DS games which I’m buying 2 of each month. That’s not so bad since I can play it anywhere. The Wii is worrying me with Super Paper Mario, Heatseeker (which I really hope is a good game), Metroid Prime 3, Mario Galaxy, Animal Crossing Wii, My Sims (for my girlfriend who uses the same Wii), Smash Bros., and Big Brain Academy all coming up over the next year. If Koei brings Uncharted Waters Wii to the US I’m going to have serious time issues. In addition to that the Virtual Console has taken more of my time than I expected. I’ve probably played Super Mario Bros. more than anything except Wii Sports so far. Sort of funny, I'm playing games less, and playing more and more older games instead of new ones. If Nintendo resumes putting good games on the VC again (especially ones like Majora’s Mask and Mario RPG that I didn’t get around to playing the first time) that’ll only get worse. I've already given up Sony and Microsoft so I’ll have to give up computer gaming also I guess. Ahhh, the joys of growing up. As for finishing games I either play open ended games or just run through them without anything close to perfect ratings these days. I ended Zelda with only 14 hearts and around 60% of the items according to some website. I finished Excite Truck with only about half S ratings. I don't have anywhere near all the items, coins, secret levels in Kirby Squeek Squad. And on it goes.

Oblivion, Metroid Prime 2 and Baten Kaitos Origins are taking all of my gametime, until I get a DS Lite and Super Paper Mario in a few weeks. :)

Nobody is crazy enough to accuse me of being sane.

Around the Network

jstam said: yes i am flat out at the moment, between school and work and afl (footy)...
You play AFL (or just follow)? Regional/local team? (guess if you are still at school, that rules you out of the Premiership ;?) BTW - I was one of the leads (the main "game" coder) on the first AFL Live (2003?) title. I would love to see a DS/Wii version - but as long as Sony owns the license, its not gonna happen.

Gesta Non Verba

Game Assessment website

albionus said: I’ve been playing for games for just over 17 years and I’m in the same situation. Last generation I had all 3 home consoles, a GBA, and a gaming computer. That certainly isn’t happening this time (and not just because the non-computer part is almost $1,800 just for the systems). I haven’t had difficulty not buying console games for a couple years anyways. Right now my trouble is with DS games which I’m buying 2 of each month. That’s not so bad since I can play it anywhere. The Wii is worrying me with Super Paper Mario, Heatseeker (which I really hope is a good game), Metroid Prime 3, Mario Galaxy, Animal Crossing Wii, My Sims (for my girlfriend who uses the same Wii), Smash Bros., and Big Brain Academy all coming up over the next year. If Koei brings Uncharted Waters Wii to the US I’m going to have serious time issues. In addition to that the Virtual Console has taken more of my time than I expected. I’ve probably played Super Mario Bros. more than anything except Wii Sports so far. Sort of funny, I'm playing games less, and playing more and more older games instead of new ones. If Nintendo resumes putting good games on the VC again (especially ones like Majora’s Mask and Mario RPG that I didn’t get around to playing the first time) that’ll only get worse. I've already given up Sony and Microsoft so I’ll have to give up computer gaming also I guess. Ahhh, the joys of growing up. As for finishing games I either play open ended games or just run through them without anything close to perfect ratings these days. I ended Zelda with only 14 hearts and around 60% of the items according to some website. I finished Excite Truck with only about half S ratings. I don't have anywhere near all the items, coins, secret levels in Kirby Squeek Squad. And on it goes.
All cool :) Yeah - Im finding the same with the VC. I believe I could kill weeks *just* by playing VC (Kirby, Zelda, Sonic, yadda, yadda...). I tend to go in bursts - one night its all VC, then the next I pop in Zelda - and play that all night. I tend to *over* explore in most games - so it takes me a lot longer to finish them, than most people. It also means that i usually find the end of the game too easy - as I have more health/hearts/items than the average Joe. Got 12 (?) hearts in Zelda now - and now have the Dominion Rod (no more spoilers! :>). On the Wii... the big 4 are most on the radar for now (Paper Mario, Galaxy, Corruption & SSB). If Sadness or RE comes out... well, I might just have to take more time off work :)

Gesta Non Verba

Game Assessment website

How could I have possibly forgotten Resident Evil. I apologize if I said too much about Zelda, I certainly wouldn't want to spoil anything.

shams said: jstam said: yes i am flat out at the moment, between school and work and afl (footy)... You play AFL (or just follow)? Regional/local team? (guess if you are still at school, that rules you out of the Premiership ;?) BTW - I was one of the leads (the main "game" coder) on the first AFL Live (2003?) title. I would love to see a DS/Wii version - but as long as Sony owns the license, its not gonna happen.
I play the step down from the vfl, play for frankston bombers 2nd team. If i remember correctly afl 03 was the one where you could take spekkies pretty much anywhere on the field, good times with that game. Any news on another afl game coming out? shame that the last afl was so terrible..... hope you didnt work on that 1!!

with i might add of one day making it to afl level, although I may be dreaming there......