By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - Some Problems I would like to talk about

Im not sure if all this still applies since I've been gone for a while but here we go: 1. Moderator banning mods- Once I became a mod I realised that you could ban other mods. Yes I know this isnt a big problem but what if a moderator dislikes another mod or they get into an arguement about something and ones just desides to ban someone? 2. Moderator forum- I dont know about anyone else but I think this would help the site out a lot. Like the mods and only the mods could go to this forum to talk about stuff and the regular people wouldnt know about it. Like if some guy was doing something that was causing people to complain we could talk about it and maybe banning him. 3. Banning anyone- This is being brought up because of what happened to Kwaad and maybe its just me but I dont think he deserved to be banned. Yes maybe suspended from posting for a couple of days but not banned. So I think that us mods shouldnt have the ability to just ban people. I think it should be like we file a report on the guy and he is not allowed to post until the admin see's the report and picks what to do if its banning him, suspending him, or just letting him go. Well Here are some of my thoughts.

fgsduilfgasuklwgefidslzfgb4yiogwefhawi4fbielat5gy240bh3e

Around the Network

I have already privately messaged roadkillers about some of these issues (mainly the banning of Kwaad), and I agree with pretty much everything he has written. The problem with banning, is that there is no easy way to stop someone from re-registering under a different name. So I would rather that person can continue posting under their original name - at least I know who it is I am talking to/about. It also makes the site seem more "casual" and less "nasty" to me. Perma-Banning should only be used in extreme cases - otherwise temporary bans (1 day-1 week), or even deletion of a users posts I think are better tools. The deletion of posts (I think) is a really good tool. People spend their time on here to give their opinions to others - and I think it would REALLY tick them off if their posts just started vanishing - hence its a good punishment. Better than banning (as they rejoin as a new user, and act as someone else to back their original arguments up). Anyway - my thoughts. I really don't want to see this site get too nasty, protective or anal (unlike another site I used to frequent :P). PS: as much as I disagree with much that he said, I *miss* Kwaad. He added personality to this site, and I think it is a poorer place without him. EDIT: If there *is* an easy way to stop (100%) people from re-registering when banned, I may change my opinion on some of the above. But I don't think there is??

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

I haven't logged in for a while (well, I did try once but decided against posting when the board seemed overloaded) but I thought I'd put up my two cents on your third point. I don't believe permabans should be applied as quickly as they have been. I'll admit that Kwaad made the forums a bit unpleasant from time to time, and the volume of propaganda that he posted all over the board was a bit excessive on occasion. I for one stopped posting due to a perceived childish nature of the arguments, as well as the fact that replying was taking up too much time that I should have been spending elsewhere. However, despite anything he may have done, there is a need for balanced discussion. Balanced of course, not madly pulling in a given direction while spouting expletives e.g. washimul. That gives people something to post about, since discussion and debate require multiple viewpoints. He also had a point that there are a number of his contemporaries here for other platforms. I'd argue that none of the others went to quite the same level of excess, but nonetheless there was some truth to his statements. I'd hope that temporary bans would do the trick when a user is trolling the forums, and even these should probably be weighed against the amount of time that a user has been posting. Surely a percentage of troll vs. reasonable posts would seem to be the best route, but that's so subjective that it would be impossible to implement effectively. Another method might be number of positive posts for a platform versus negative posts for other platforms; that would level the playing field significantly, although it might require more effort on the part of the mods. Permabans on some of the most prolific users, particularly those that could potentially contribute reasonable arguments, will likely decrease the amount of users who return to the site over time. I'm not saying that Kwaad shouldn't ever be permabanned, it seems clear to me that he went outside the boundaries of reasonable debate from time to time, but it certainly seems to me as if he wasn't given sufficient temporary ban warning (the kind with real teeth) before being removed completely from the forums. Again, this is all just my 2 cents; take it or leave it. I'm logging out again. I'll continue to check the numbers of course, kudos to all involved in keeping the stats up to date.

I can only agree with the above postings and say: "Give us Kwaad back!". Despite his tendency of being ultra-sony-biased (and despite me liking the nintendo philosophy of gaming more than sony's or MS's) he was the actual reason I started reading this forum. I need my daily dosis of Kwaad-postings, otherwise i'm gonna have troubles enduring my days at the office...

yeah, I never understood why Kwaad was banned.. he's famous Wife selling Wii post (which I think is the reason why he got banned) was also in the "off-topic" forum. I guess the reason why most people are scratching there heads is because none of us know why he was really banned, what rule did he break? How big of a rule was it to get a perma-ban?

Proud Member of GAIBoWS (Gamers Against Irrational Bans of Weezy & Squilliam)

Around the Network

Couldn't agree more, any forum should have more than one level of ban. I actuly think that Kwaad was quit ok, even if I think he was sometimes totally out of touch with reality

Buy it and pray to the gods of Sigs: Naznatips!

Those sound like some good improvements. Of course, I think we should still retain the right of instant perma bans for spammers and hate crimes. But so far I haven't seen very much of those. I'll gladly take up the head mod role. Send me a message to let me know exactly what that role entails. And after that, get back to working on ver 2.0!!!

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

stof said: Those sound like some good improvements. Of course, I think we should still retain the right of instant perma bans for spammers and hate crimes. But so far I haven't seen very much of those. I'll gladly take up the head mod role. Send me a message to let me know exactly what that role entails. And after that, get back to working on ver 2.0!!!
Head mod? Whats the difference from that and a regular?

fgsduilfgasuklwgefidslzfgb4yiogwefhawi4fbielat5gy240bh3e

roadkillers said: stof said: Those sound like some good improvements. Of course, I think we should still retain the right of instant perma bans for spammers and hate crimes. But so far I haven't seen very much of those. I'll gladly take up the head mod role. Send me a message to let me know exactly what that role entails. And after that, get back to working on ver 2.0!!! Head mod? Whats the difference from that and a regular?
That means you listen to stof, and stof listens to me. Seriously tho. ioi - Thanks for un-banning me. Version2.0 Try to put something in that removes posting access or something, but still let news be posted. As there has been so little news (both in the industry and here). I've been tempted to create a dummy account and just post news. It's been dead. I'll look into finding some news later tonight/tomorrow possibly. I've been spending ALOT of time lately out of the house so not much time on here actually. EDIT: And 2.0 needs quotes in quotes, or at least a divider in it. So if it is *quote* Kwaad said: Kwaad said this *quote* blahblah said: asdf */quote* */quote* It should be displayed
Kwaad said: Kwaad said this __________________ blahblah said: asdf
In a single quote box maybe? But none of the.
Kwaad said asdf said asdf says this. Kwaad says this.
stuff.

PSN ID: Kwaad

I fly this flag in victory!

Kwaad said: That means you listen to stof, and stof listens to me.
The funny part about this is that I find the easiest way to handle most of Kwaad's posts is to ignore them all together.

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.