By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Alan Wake - Police Escape Gameplay

O.... M.... G.... I was probably going to get this game, but now its a day one and possibly midnight release purchase! That was amazing! Those graphics and environment affects/animations are superb! The story looks like it's gonna be amazing as well!

Around the Network

Looks awesome. The atmosphere is great, and I really love the location. (Makes me feel nostalgic, of when I used to play in the woods when I was younger.)

Couple of negatives, though: screen-tearing, bad voice acting, and Alan's animations. The screen-tearing will hopefully be fixed by the time it releases, and whilst the voice acting is weak, it's not game-breaking.

I really wish Alan didn't move like an emotionless robot, though. He's in all these really tense situations, and he looks like he's going for a jog in the park. Really hurts the (otherwise amazing) atmosphere and immersion. =(

Hyams said:
Looks awesome. The atmosphere is great, and I really love the location. (Makes me feel nostalgic, of when I used to play in the woods when I was younger.)

Couple of negatives, though: screen-tearing, bad voice acting, and Alan's animations. The screen-tearing will hopefully be fixed by the time it releases, and whilst the voice acting is weak, it's not game-breaking.

I really wish Alan didn't move like an emotionless robot, though. He's in all these really tense situations, and he looks like he's going for a jog in the park. Really hurts the (otherwise amazing) atmosphere and immersion. =(

I think the tearing was probably just because of the compression used for the internet video.  I personally didn't even notice any, but I noticed skips in the smoothness of the actual video playing so maybe that's where the tearing was and I just chalked it off to the video streaming.

lol I jumped back from the screen at the end of part 2, wasn't expecting those to be there...

PS4 Preordered - 06/11/2013 @09:30am

XBox One Preordered - 06/19/2013 @07:57pm

"I don't trust #XboxOne & #Kinect 2.0, it's always connected" as you tweet from your smartphone - irony 0_o

nightsurge:

I doubt it has anything to do with video compression. I wouldn't worry about the streaming though - the game is done, and Remedy are just polishing at the moment. By the time it releases, I have no doubt that the screen-tearing will be gone.

Around the Network

i know its a noobish question but what is screen tearing

cmon please lets accelerate to may. i wish i had the cryochambers from halo.

elticker said:
i know its a noobish question but what is screen tearing

Screen tearing is when the video frame rate exceeds the refresh rate of the monitor.  Also, when a video even has slight to no visible tearing, if you capture it, compress it, and stream it on the internet it can double the appearance of the tearing since the streaming is roughly half the frame rate of the actual original footage.

Like I said, I didn't even see any (usually visible by horizontal lines that look like the image has been shifted so that above the line and below it don't fit together perfectly, happens only for split partial seconds), but I wasn't really looking either.  I saw stutters in the replaying of the footage, and I suspect some people may not really know what is screen tearing and what isn't, which is why I originally questioned Hyams.

I hesitant to tell you what screen-tearing is, because once you know what it is you start noticing it more. XD

Ignorance is bliss, I'm thinking.

EDIT: Oh, beaten.

Technical jargon aside, screen-tearing is basically those lines that quickly run across your screen (usually up or down). Games that suffer from it often suffer the most when you're moving the camera about.

well then hyams im not gonna read night surge comments based on your advice man alan wake fable 3 halo reach and natal beats 2008 and 200u7 line up.