By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - DS killing other consoles sales?

ilovetogame said:
ability to download music/movies from the computer
 It already does that.   I'd like to see 1-2 gigs in the next Nintendo Handheld to improve online, saving, and allow a few songs to be stored on the system.  This should also allow previews and demos to be DLed directly to the system.  It should have higher screen quality, clock/calendar/address book features, and a much better microphone.  I doubt Nintendo will go the way of the PSP.  Maybe a very basic camera, at most.  Nintendo doesn't need to completely change directions, just improve things.  Maybe equal to the xbox in power.  It has to be BC, though.  I think the main things it needs is much more power (it get people to buy newer games) and BC (to get people to initially select it over the competition). About the DS stealing profits from the Wii, maybe so.  However, there are two markets and Nintendo needs to dominate both of them.  As long as Nintendo (continues and improves) makes lots of games that come out on both systems and give you special options on the Wii version when connected, it will do great.  Both version can be million sellers!  This could have worked with the Wii Pokeman but it doesn't matter because that game is horrible and Nintendo still sold a bunch of them.

currently playing: Desktop Tower Defense (PC), Puzzle Quest (DS), Trauma Center New Blood (Wii), Guitar Hero III (Wii), Ghost Squad (Wii), Actraiser (SNES), Donkey Kong County (SNES), The Legend of Zelda (NES), Kirby's Adventure (NES)

will play next: Paper Mario (N64), Golden Axe II (Sega), NiGHTS (Wii)

Join the Ron Paul RLOVEution, support Ron Paul for president in the 2008 Republican presidential primary! http://www.ronpaul2008.com

Around the Network

DS and PSP will steal from Wii, PS3, and 360. The market is shifting to handhelds in Japan, it's pretty obvious. Handhelds are convenient because they can use them in the trains, on their breaks etc. Games like DQ9 shifting to handhelds isn't helping either.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

Hmmm the big problem with comparing consoles with handhelds is that not every household need more than 1 console. For the simple reason that not many households have more than 1 tv. Or if they were to go for a 2nd console it will be a different one. Not another Wii!

On the other hand many households have more than 1 DS! Some families have like half a dozen of them. 1 for each head!

It's just not fair to compare even they have the same market. It's like comparing DVD sales to cinema visits. Same market, but it has little or no effect on the total sales.

Joemanji said:
Hmmm the big problem with comparing consoles with handhelds is that not every household need more than 1 console. For the simple reason that not many households have more than 1 tv. Or if they were to go for a 2nd console it will be a different one. Not another Wii!

On the other hand many households have more than 1 DS! Some families have like half a dozen of them. 1 for each head!

It's just not fair to compare even they have the same market. It's like comparing DVD sales to cinema visits. Same market, but it has little or no effect on the total sales.

but your forgetting to factor in why does family X that has 4 DSs need console Y at all? 

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

I think in a Japan-specific way there is a shift away from home consoles towards handhelds in general. This does hurt the Wii to an extent, although I'd argue its doing better than any home console should have been doing at this stage, due to its small size and uniqueness. In that vein, I'd say its simply delaying the shift away from the home console. In the end if this benefits anyone in Japan, its Microsoft, because any lowering of the total home console userbase in Japan helps the Xbox gain global marketshare. Of course on the other hand, Microsoft is the only company without a handheld.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

Around the Network
ssj12 said:
starcraft said:
They make a nice profit off EVERY DS and Wii sold, im sure they have no problem with this even if your right SSj12. Judging by the amount of software the DS is moving compared to the Wii, if they could have just one console win im sure they'd prefer the DS.

What I'm meaning is that I see the DS stealing sales from the Wii. I wouldn't be shocked if the Wii generates more profit then the DS so in my mind I think that the DS is actually lowering possible profits from Nintendo.

So you are saying they should forsake profit ready for the taking for the possibility of profit down the road?  You do realise they are a company right lol =)

Seriously though, I think they look at the DS as a way to get folks interested in the console market which is where I think your examinations breaks down a bit.  Sure you could say that their market share goes by in large to the DS but when you consider the major factors involved it makes a lot more sense:

1) Handhelds can have many sales per household

2) Their console sales numbers are still growing year over year, and in general they are making more money on their current console than I think they have ever made on any console they have produced!

3) The majority of DS owners seem to be newer gamers who are interested in the library that they feel reaches out to them.  By building a strong DS userbase you build brand loyalty.  And while Sony is a fine example of how brand loyalty is no gaurantee I do think it is more than enough to convince someone to investigate the console.  And Nintendo feels that if you like the DS you will like the Wii...thus they are not only fine with the huge DS sales impact on the Wii but I think there is a positive benefit and not a negative one. 

To Each Man, Responsibility
ssj12 said:
Joemanji said:

but your forgetting to factor in why does family X that has 4 DSs need console Y at all?

Why would they not? It's individual to the family, so you can't prove the DS is hurting sales this way.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

I agree with Sqrl.

I think Nintendo benefits more from the DS dominating the handheld market in the console war than Sony does by even having a PSP. Mainly because the DS is so casual and nearly every person in the house has one.

This leads to the problem of people isolating themselves to paly their own game, which is solved by the parents (if they're any kind of parent that is) trying to get the family to interact more with each other and less with their onwn video game persuits.

Since the whole family is playing game on the TV why not get a console? Which one should I get? How bout the one the people who make the DS we love so much makes? Yeah that sounds good, lets by a Wii. Besides I hear they're really fun and stuff. Where can I get one?

It all works out for Nintendo in the end. Besides I think your argument is a little flawed in that you seem to forget that the Wii is nearly sold out Worldwide and will most certainly be during the holidays.
If the DS was stealing sales from the DS then the Wii wouldn't be getting scalped on E-bay.